Chapter Three: The End

Our chapter by chapter discussion of New Moon.
atrociousprincess
Learning to Love Green

Post by atrociousprincess »

1. I definitely knew something bad was coming. Every time I read about Edward being detached I feel like smacking him :evil:
2. No, and I hope...and apparently I'd just end up assaulting them and making it end faster (see #1)
3. I never truly believed him...but that didn't make it any sadder :cry:
4. I thought Sam was creepy and strange, kind of like Jacob felt about him before
5. :cry: Even though I hadn't stopped crying from before
faerie_kitten
Wandering Through Town

Post by faerie_kitten »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?
did not see it coming. never thought he would up and leave her. ever

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?

not really. then again i am very luck in that i found my perfect my when i was just 17, we were married by the time we were both 18 and almost ten years later everything is still great, well better really :)

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?

nah, i never beleived it at all. i was hoping that he would come back and was completley devestated when he didnt, bloody idiot! but at least he came backl in the end :)

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.

i was wondering how he managed to find her. i mean even if you kno an area of woods really well it is still hard to find someone in them. never thought he was a werewolf tho

5. Describe your reaction as you read the 'Months' pages.

when i read them i couldnt beleive that he hadnt come back in so long. he was def a silly idiot to leave like that :(
twilightteacher
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilightteacher »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?
I definitely had the sense that something was wrong. I started to think something big was going to happen when Edward was really quiet on the ride home. I knew as soon as he asked her if he could come over that he was going to break up with her. Part of me was hoping it would be different though.

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?

Yeah I have and it sucks. I think instinctively a person "knows" when something is wrong. I also think sometimes we try to convince ourselves that it's nothing, just like Bella did. I think that is one thing that made this chapter so hard to read. Stephenie really describes how it feels when you know something isn't right but you want to ignore it but then again you feel like you need to say something. Bella's reaction was so real and so well written.
3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?
As soon as Edward started talking I knew where he was going with his speech (and I didn't like it). The way Stephenie wrote this chapter is so good. She made me cry. I started feeling a sense of dread when they entered the forest. I could feel the anxiety building as I was reading further into the chapter and then when he was actually breaking up with her I started crying. I don't usually cry when I read. As a testament to how well written this novel is when I went back and read it again a few days ago, I still cried even though I knew how it was going to end. It's a very powerful scene. I wanted Edward to run back to her but I knew that he wasn't going to. I don't think I believed him like Bella did. I think I was more focused on her reaction. I also felt sorry for Bella because I could tell Edward was going to do what he thought was the "right" thing when really it wasn't.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.
I didn't really focus too much on Sam. I was paying more attention to how Bella was feeling and thinking that I would pretty much feel/think the same way if my true love/soul mate just left me.
I cried and put the book down for a minute. I also thought that was powerful. I like that those months are blank like that because really when something like that happens how important is the other stuff?
allixTE
Settled in Forks

Post by allixTE »

I felt that it was coming as soon as Edward asks her to walk with him.

Yes. I can almost empathize with her.

I didn't believe him at first, but as the chapters progressed i began to believe him.

I didn't react, really - it seemed normal to me. He was one of Billy's friends, and Billy was a friend of Charlie's, so it made sense to me.

I actually went "aww" and frowned. It was incredibly sad.
ForeverEdwards
Settled in Forks

Post by ForeverEdwards »

I was pissed off a bit at Edward. I thought what Bella thought: that he wasn't over the conflict that occured on the night of her birthday. But he was prolonging the resentment...then i knew something was seriously up. i swallowed the lies: Alice gone with jasper to "rehab" (hehe) and etc. but when Edward asks Bella if he could come over, i was sceptical. something was <i>seriously</i> up. and when the words came out, i was crying too hard to notice anything else, as i was flooding my room.

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away? never been in a deep relationship with anyone, and so i wouldnt know. thats pretty sad, and even sadder when i realise that i probably wont ever be in one soon because of the higher standards in boyfriends which edward has set :?

no. definitely not. i believed him when he said he was going away, but i knew that he still loved her. things like what they had never changed in an instant. even though i desperately wanted him to come back, i knew that he wouldn't soon, but he would eventually. then i kept on reading, and reading, and reading, until i got up to almost 2 thirds of the book, i began to get anxious. i was thinking <i>"dammit! where the hell are you edward!?"</i>

stephenie mentioned the fact that he seemed "familiar" and so i was desperately flipping through my mind who he could be. but other than that, the "snuffling noise" or animal noise didnt really register in my head (that he was a werewold) until i read the book again.

erm
i was crying too much. :? but it was very painful for Bella, i could feel for her.
"Bella, would you <i>please</i> stop trying to take your clothes off?"
"Do you want to do that part?"

we all stop swearing, use "yes" rather than "yer", use longer words in our vocabulary, and regain our manners' consciousness...but we'll never find someone who <i>talks with a flow of perfect, formal articulation, picked up in an earlier century.
jacob'sleah
Settled in Forks

Post by jacob'sleah »

Edward was acting very odd, yeah I felt something coming. I didn't know what though. I knew that it was over when they were at school the morining before it happened. I just felt this horrible drop in the pit of my stomach.

A few times, there was a part of me that wanted to keep holding on and a stronger part that told me to be healthy and let it go. So I did.

I knew that he would come back eventually. There was a small idea in the back of my mind that Bella could move on and find someone else. Even though I didn't want her to, I knew she could if she wanted to.

I thought it was cool to bring the Quilutes back into things. All of the characters on the reservation interest me,

5. Describe your reaction as you read the Months pages.

I can identify with the feeling Bella has with the months pages. it was a very appt way to show thw pain she was going through.
I heart Rupert Grint!!
Forks is my happy place!
" "Don't be afraid," I murmered.
"We belong together."
I was abruptly overwhelmed by the truth of my own words.
This moment was so perfect, so right.
There was no way to doubt it.
His arms were wrapped around me,
Holding me against him....
It felt like every nerve ending in my body was a live wire.
"Forever, " he agreed. "- Breaking Dawn Cover
natanyx
Wandering Through Town

Post by natanyx »

This chapter is probably the most painful and gut wrenching in the entire series, hands down.

I knew, just from the behavior, that I would not like the end of this chapter.

Edwards speech was harsh, but I think it went that way because not only was he trying to appease Bella, he was trying to, in a way, convince himself. He was setting it up to seem ok, that by natural human instinct she would be fine, humans and vampires aren't suppose to be together, etc.

Sam's arrival didn't really surprise me, although I was just as surprised as Charlie that Edward didn't even bother to get her back safely.
JHartnow
Settled in Forks

THE END

Post by JHartnow »

First of all, let me say that this chapter stands out in the entire series (so far) for me, because it hits so close to home. Stephenie Meyer has obviously suffered the loss of a great love, because it's hard to believe that anyone could have written this without experiencing it first hand.

Yes, I did sense the foreboding. The nature of Edward was off...in a very human way. Avoiding Bella was the first key, and then the night of her birthday in her room...when he kissed her so fiercely. I could feel it in my bones...what was to come.

Heavens yes! Several times, but with one person in particular. We were still in love when he had to leave. It was agonizing for me, but surprisingly enough, I didn't cry much. I was numb for months afterwards (see any corolations here??!!). I look at the vampire/human dynamic very similarly to the being gay/straight dynamic. "Forbidden" love, though it's possible, I don't believe is a sin. Stephenie has proven that you can't help who you fall in love with.

I usually don't take things for face value, but at that moment, when I was standing there with Bella in the woods witnessing this aweful situation that came at her from out of the blue, I believed him. He had given me every reason in the world to trust him, so at that point, I did. Like I said, I've been just where Bella was at that moment, and it really feels like an out of body experience. Not believing what you're hearing...hoping it's just a dream.

Even though the tone was extremely dark at that point, and Stephenie portrayed his approach as ominous, I honestly felt he was there to help. I've never been afraid of Sam.

SHOCK. And I though it was brilliant on Stephanies behalf. Just as I said that I was numb for months after my split with my "Edward", those months were lost, somehow. I don't remember them. I was going through the motions of maintaining some level of humaness.
[img]http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos4728/6/66/59/39/87/4/487395966605_0_ALB.jpg[/img]
i heart cullen
Settled in Forks

hmm?

Post by i heart cullen »

when bella was laying in the forest and everyone was looking for her, she said there was an animal sniffing her. then sam found her. do you think sam was a werewolf while he was looking because maybe they smell better or something like that?
[img]http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/8427/youaremylifeza0.png[/img]<br>banner made by mayde @ the vesparium.<bR><br><B>TEAM EDWARD.</b>
MarriedToEdward
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by MarriedToEdward »

I heart Cullen: Good observation! YES; I think SAM was a werewolf then! And I think it is some very sublime and well-done foreshadowing by SM for the rest of the story!!!!

But here, my answers:

Yes, I knew what was coming. Edward had said repeatedly in the end of Twilight that he will stay with her AS LONG AS IT IS WHAT'S GOOD FOR HER. I sensed that he was going to leave her, not because he didn't love her any more, but because he honestly thought it'd be better for her.

I'm very different than Bella. When I was a teenager, I would never admit that I was in love with somebody whom I thought didn't love me. And so I have to say: whenever I felt a boy detaching himself from me, I would do the same. I never let them that close in the first place, you know. -- wow, this was private information.

As I said above, NO, I didn't believe him at all. I am actually surprised anybody did. We did get a look into his eyes that are softened, and somehow in pain, after he says these words, and it all just made sense to me. I didn't think, either, though, that he would be running back to Bella, although I did believe, until the scene in the meadow with Laurent, that Edward was actually there, warning Bella. I thought he never left, just stayed hidden close-by. I was actually appalled when I found out that he did leave Bella all alone. That was very irresponsible!

I had a tense feeling, something telling me that this wasn't good. At the first thought, I thought it would be a bad guy... that Bella should be careful (which, since he was a werewolf at the time he found her was true I guess).

Just very deep understanding for Bella's suffering.
[url=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][img]http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/4932/mybanner4879ed4a86715ht1.jpg[/img][/url]

I have to wait till August 4th for the release of Breaking Dawn, so if you don't see me until the 5th, you know why!