Chapter Twenty - Four: Vote

Our chapter by chapter discussion of New Moon.
twilightteacher
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilightteacher »

1. What did you think of Bella's epiphany? Do you think she was justified in believing that Edward didn't love her and that the fact that he really did stunned her?

I loved her epiphany. I'm happy that she finally realized what we as readers already knew: that Edward really did love her. I get why she felt like this perfect, beautiful boy wouldn't really love her (in her mind) and I was happy that she understood he feels the exact same way she does.

2. How did you feel about the way the vote went? Did you understand Edward's resoning? What about Rosalie's? Do you agree with Carlisle that it's the only loigical choice?

I'm happy with the way the vote went. I only wish that Bella would have been able to see Carlisle's face. I almost feel like there was an important expression that we might have missed on it. I got Edward's reasoning but I didn't agree with it at all. I'm not sure how I feel about Rosalie still. I thought it was nice that she made a point to explain why she said no. But, I guess I still haven't gotten over her months of hostility towards Bella.

3. Were you as stunned as Bella was when Edward asked her to marry him? How do you feel about Bella's reasons for saying no to him?

I was happily surprised that Edward proposed to Bella. I had a feeling that it was going to be coming soon. I wasn't so happy with her response back. I thought she would be happy and ready to get married that second. I'm not really sure about how I feel about her reasons behind her answer. Just because her parents marriage didn't work out doesn't mean she is destined to repeat their mistakes. Besides I think in Twilight it talks about how Charlie and Renee were two very different people. Bella and Edward are soul mates. The only difference is that he is a vampire and at the moment she is not.

4. At this point in the series - ignoring what you know from Eclipse - do you think Bella should marry Edward? Do you think she should become a vampire as soon as possible? Or do you think she should stay mortal for a while longer?

Well I have been putting off reading Eclipse. I don't want to have such a huge lag time between Eclipse and Breaking Dawn (even if it is 28 days away) but I also don't want to leave Forks. I have another book that I have started but I miss the characters in Twilight. Rant over and back to the question. Yes I think that Bella should marry Edward. I'm firmly planted on the Team Edward side! I also think that she should become a vampire as soon as possible. For one thing it's safer for her that way.

5. If Bella were to become a vampire, how would you feel if Edward was the one to change her? How would you feel if someone else changed her?

At this point I almost don't care who changes her as long as she is changed. I'm desperate for a happy Edward/Bella ending to the series. I would like Edward to change her but I know from the book Carlisle definitely wouldn't lose control. I would worry that Alice or Edward might...thus thwarting my longed for happy ending.
Cullenesque71
Buying a Better Raincoat

Ch. 24

Post by Cullenesque71 »

1. What did you think of Bella's epiphany? Do you think she was justified in believing that Edward didn't love her and that the fact that he really did stunned her?

I was so happy that she had this "A-ha" moment...finally! I had never lost faith in the fact that he loved her, but with someone as insecure as Bella is, it's good that she figured this all out on her own!

2. How did you feel about the way the vote went? Did you understand Edward's resoning? What about Rosalie's? Do you agree with Carlisle that it's the only loigical choice?

I was happy to hear his family members express their feelings on her becoming a part of their family. I do understand Edward's reasoning...he doesn't want her to give anything up for him, and he thinks he can protect her. I feel a bit sad for Rosalie...but I'm glad she explained to Bella her reservation about Bella becoming a vampire. She clearly is warming up to Bella as a "sister", and that makes me happy. Yes, I agree with Carlisle...if Edward wants Bella, he needs to realize what is logical.

3. Were you as stunned as Bella was when Edward asked her to marry him? How do you feel about Bella's reasons for saying no to him?

Not really stunned....he is from a completely different time period. I completely understand Bella's reasoning (as I broke up with my longtime boyfriend in high school because he wanted to get married...and I had college and career plans). However, if I had felt as strongly about that boy as she feels about Edward, I think I would have gone against conventional wisdom and married him.

4. At this point in the series - ignoring what you know from Eclipse - do you think Bella should marry Edward? Do you think she should become a vampire as soon as possible? Or do you think she should stay mortal for a while longer?

I do think she should marry Edward (after high school), and I think she should give college a try before becoming immortal. I don't want to say anymore about it because I'll get into Eclipse stuff.

5. If Bella were to become a vampire, how would you feel if Edward was the one to change her? How would you feel if someone else changed her?

Edward MUST change her...otherwise, there will always be a "stumbling block" in their relationship...that's not the best word, but I'm typing fast because I need to make dinner. Hopefully, whoever reads this will understand my meaning!

~Lisa~
[img]http://i29.tinypic.com/300haxd.jpg[/img]
elysiepiecie
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by elysiepiecie »

It was amazing. I think that the obvious is usually the hardest to realize. I think she was justified in believing that Edward didn't love her because she always felt unworthy of his love and attention. She put her full trust in Edward's words and she was always waiting for him to leave her. So when he did, it made sense to her. For him to say that he loved her, when the relationship was so unbalanced in her eyes, it did not make sense to her. I was glad that she finally realized that he loves her completely.

I liked the way the vote went. I do understand Edward's reasoning, but I think it's a moot point at this point in the plot. I appreciate Rosalie's opinion, it is one of the first insightss into her that we get. I do agree with Carlisle that it is the only logical choice, unless Edward is willing to lose Bella to an early grave.

I was a bit stunned, but I was happy. I do understand Bella's reasoning as to why she didn't want to marry him. I am 20 and I have friends who got married when they were 18 and it was kind of a wow, what's going on there type of moment. But I would have thought that she would have been more willing to marry him since it is Edward, I know I would have.

I think that Bella should say yes, but make it a long engagement, just to make sure. I think that she would try to become a vampire asap, but who knows if Edward would be willing to do it so soon. I think that Edward is correct though when saying that Bella needs as many mortal experiences as possible.

I would think that it would be the right thing for Edward to change her, since they are in love. It seems like a very intimate experience. If someone else changed her'hmm, I think it would depend on the circumstances. I would be okay with Alice, Carlisle, or Esme, but everyone else would just depend.
atrociousprincess
Learning to Love Green

Post by atrociousprincess »

1. Typical Bella, taking a long time to realize the obvious (see werewolf Jake) :roll: I guess I'm happy that her "I'm not good enough for him" issue was resolved once and for all (hopefully)
2. The vote went exactly the way I thought it would (except for Edward breaking the TV). I found Edward's plan surprisingly realistic, but I doubt that the Cullens could take down the Volturi without something bad happening :( I think Rosalie's reason actually made more sense than Edward's to me. I definitely agree with Carlisle (don't I always?) that it's the only logical option.
3. I wasn't as stunned as Bella, but I was definitely surprised. I felt Bella's reasons for saying no to him were pretty foolish and thought she was being difficult (kind of like Edward's reasons for keeping Bella human...see how perfect they are for each other?). In my opinion, having a disappointed mom and a bunch of people looking at me funny is a small price to pay for being changed by Edward.
4. I think that Bella should marry Edward, just for the fact that I will be able to swoon over Edward's vows again and again :D I'm not that keen on Bella being changed into a vampire story wise, but it needs to be done to "tie up loose ends", so I'd be happy with like 5 chapters of vampire Bella in BD...maybe more.
5. The hopeless romantic in me would definitely prefer that Edward changed her, it just wouldn't be meaningful if anyone else did it.
[img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/flipflopkitty/twilighticons/twilight_confession02.png[/img][img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/flipflopkitty/twilighticons/eclipse_confession06.png[/img] [img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/flipflopkitty/twilighticons/newmoon_confession12.png[/img][img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/flipflopkitty/twilighticons/twilight_confession18.png[/img]
i heart cullen
Settled in Forks

Post by i heart cullen »

After his six month long absence, I understand that she thought it would be impossible for him to still love her. After what she had been through, who would be able to immediatley return to him and believe what he was saying? I would be doubtful.

2. How did you feel about the way the vote went? Did you understand Edward's reasoning? What about Rosalie's? Do you agree with Carlisle that it's the only logical choice?

Yes, I definitely understand Edward's reasoning. He is just trying to give her the best life possible. However, I do want her to be changed. But like Edward, I think she should wait at least until she finishes high school. I don't necessarily agree with Rosalie; she has seen the life being offered to her and still wants it. She knows the oppurtunity cost. Finally, I do agree with Carlisle for a few reasons. If Edward and Bella are going to be together forever, Bella's mortality will more than likely cause a few problems down the road for both her and the Cullen family. She has to become a vampire eventually, so why should she wait until she's much older than Edward?

I was completely shocked with Edward's proposal. I absolutely want them to get married, but I don't think his timing was very good. To me, Bella's reasons for saying no are completely ridiculous. She needs to stop trying to make everyone else happy and do something for herself for once. So her mother isn't a fan of early marriages. So what? It's not going to make a difference whether they get married at eighteen or twenty-eight. They've already chosen their futures together.

I think Bella and Edward should definitely be married. Even though she hates parties, I think that's one human experience she definitely should have and would regret skipping out on later. I think she should at least finish high school and get married before she becomes a vampire.

I think it could be very romantic if Edward was the one to change her. If it were someone else, like Carlisle or Alice for example, I don't think the experience would be quite as meaningful to Bella.
[img]http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/8427/youaremylifeza0.png[/img]<br>banner made by mayde @ the vesparium.<bR><br><B>TEAM EDWARD.</b>