Love and Mythical Creatures

Welcome to our debate forum where we will have hot topics for you to discuss weekly. Just as a reminder we will only leave topics open for the week and then start a new one.
Be My Escape
Totally Inside Jacob's Mind
Location: Pushing Amor out of the way so I can Play Pinball with Jacob

Love and Mythical Creatures

Post by Be My Escape » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:39 am

THis just in from our debtate moderator, December:

The Twilight series shows us very young people making very grave decisions on the strength of the love they feel for each other. Are we meant to think that they are old enough to judge their feelings accurately? If Bella thinks she's too young to get married, is she old enough to be certain she loves Edward enough to give up her humanity for him? Can Jake really know he loves Bella, when he is only 16?

Of course these are all fictional characters from a world of monsters and magic, which raises a further question. Even if you think that Bella and Jake know what they are doing, do you think this is realistic for real-life teenagers?

Remeber to be respectful of each other. I know this is a serious hot button topic with many a fan. Enjoy!!
[img]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj45/jenlam26/engagment.png[/img]

MoonStarWithWings
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by MoonStarWithWings » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:47 am

I think it is realistic.

Although Bella and Jacob are both young, they are very mature. Possibly more than most teenagers - Bella looked after her mum, and Jake after his dad.

But it all depends on the person. Some teenagers could make the decision, some couldn't. Maturity is different in all teenagers, but I truly believe Bella and Jake know enough to make the right decisions.
[img]http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/MoonStarWithWings/MonVie.png[/img]
[color=cyan]SC Squared <3[/color]

[color=yellow]Team Edward[/color][color=orange]my brand of heroin.[/color]
[color=orange]Team Ian[/color][color=yellow]eight lives, eight planets and [i]then [/i]she found him.[/color]

ObsessiveCullenDisorder
Wandering Through Town

Post by ObsessiveCullenDisorder » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:57 am

I agree with MoonStarWithWings it is very realistic. As she says Bella and Jacob are both very mature and they KNOW what they want. They are old enough to be in love, but also young enough to mend from the hurt (in Jacob's case) and fall in love again.

I know from personal experience that it's possible to fall seriously in love at a young age. I've loved the man I'm with since I was 15 and he was 16. I was devastated when he left and ecstatic when he came back. Now we are talking about possible wedding plans.

I definitely can see where Bella and Jacob can fall in love at such a young age and really, truly mean it.
Team Edward: Because pianists are good with their fingers.
-Because he is always hard... think about that.
-Because smart girls know some of the hottest kisses are closed mouth.
-Because you don't get much stiffer than dead.
-Because werewolves slobber.
-Because when you go vamp you never go back.
-Because Jacob doesn't sparkle.
-Because only a vampire can love you forever.

noarbee
Settled in Forks

Post by noarbee » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:05 am

We have to remember that these are all mythical creatures (except for Bella, but she may as well be because she is in the middle of it) therefore they can feel and experience things we cannot. Bella explains in Eclipse (sorry i don't have the exact page)
EDIT: Thanks Door_Hinge, that was convenient
"He was my soul mate in that world - would have been my soul mate still if his claim had not been overshadowed by something stronger, something so strong that it could not exist in a rational world."
- Eclipse, page 599

that Jacob is her soulmate in this world, but Edward is from a whole different world and the connection is deeper. I think Jacob may be a bit naive to think that Bella is the only person out there for him, and that he won't be able to imprint on anybody. While the vampires are all decades, even centuries old, and have experienced lifetimes they are still frozen to be so young and i'm not sure if that somehow factors into everything they do. Take Emmett for example (I'M SORRY EMMETT, I LOVE YOU). While almost 100 years old, he still has the playful, somewhat rambunctious and almost childlike personality he had when he was turned (at 20, I believe?) and it seems as though he can be very headstrong and rush into things even now. Edward, on the other hand, seems very composed and mature for his age (17) and it may have something to do with the experiences that they had (both human and vampire).

On the topic of Bella getting married, there is no question that she loves Edward enough to marry him, and even give her life for him (or however it was put from last week's debate). It is the insecurity she feels around her friends and family and being judged by her mom, her town, and Jacob (in a different way, for it means becoming a vampire) That is a completely human emotion. Does that mean she is not ready to not be human anymore? Of course not.
Last edited by noarbee on Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Door_Hinge
Settled in Forks

Post by Door_Hinge » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:06 am

Stephenie Meyer wrote Bella's character as one who should be considered more mature than most teenagers (whether or not I agree that Bella acts that way is irrelevant). One quality that Bella possesses either way, is that when she makes a choice, that's it. End of discussion. So as far as Bella goes, I think she is mature enough to make those decisions.

Jacob. Heh. I find that a lot of the time people forget that he is in fact, a sixteen year old (sometimes it even seems like Meyer forgets). We all know that Jacob's gone through physical changes to the point of being built like a twenty-five year old, so perhaps she wanted to convey that he's matured emotionally as well. And he seems to be in love with Bella, but I don't know that it would be an eternal love like what Bella and Edward share. Remember, Jacob still has the opportunity to imprint on someone, and Edward really doesn't. He was after all, alone for all of his life until he met Bella.

"Even if you think that Bella and Jake know what they are doing, do you think this is realistic for real life teenagers?"

I certainly don't. I don't want to make a sweeping generalization, because there are a lot of very mature teens in our world. However, most of the time, teenage relationships are fickle. Many relationships are serious with teenagers, granted, but I think that most of the time, someone so young doesn't really know what they want yet. Exception: Cory and Topanga. 8D Sorry, I had to put that in. Anyway, to wrap up, 99.9% of the time, the situation with Bella, Edward and Jacob is not realistic for teenagers today.
[color=#D3D3D3][size=75]"He was my soul mate in that world - would have been my soul mate still if his claim had not been overshadowed by something stronger, [b]something so strong that it could not exist in a rational world."[/b][i]
- Eclipse, page 599[/i][/color]
[/size][size=75][color=black]
"Men have died for this music. You can't get more serious than that."
- Dizzy Gillespie

"Oh, jazz and love are the hardest things to describe from rationale."
- Mel Torme
[/size][/color]

edward_is_better_
Learning to Love Green

Post by edward_is_better_ » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:14 am

I can see what you two mean.I think Bella is mentally mature enough to truly fall in love and go through marriage.Bella is constantly thinking about her negative feelings towards marriage and hypothesises that its only because that's the way she was raised.if a person grows up looking at something from a specific perspective they obviously grow some sort of exceptance or embrace of that point of view.As Bella has about marriage.

For Jacob I still believe his love is still more infatuation.Such as in Romeo and Juliet Romeo believes himself to be desperately and hopelessly in love with Rosaline.Romeo was 16.But as soon as he saw Juliet he loved her inevitably and unconditionally.I think Jacob is still capable of truly falling in love,but that his love for Bella isnt just that.

I think that some teenagers can truly fall in love,as have you two have said,but some is the key word.A persons mental and emotional growth varies from person to person depending on the circumstances of their lives.Some people simply grow up quicker than others.
Last edited by edward_is_better_ on Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you really, truly love me, Bella."
I folded my arms across my chest. "That is <i>so</i> unfair.And Edward kind of already used that on me."
-Eclipse pg.466

bluedragon
Wandering Through Town

Post by bluedragon » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:19 am

Excellent questions!

I think that Bella does know what she wants, and I think things have happened in the book in such a way to prove this. Edward left her, and she never healed, showing that she just isn't whole without him. And she found out she loves Jake too, bu it's Edward she can't be without; and that really shows that she knows what she's doing. And I do think Bella is mature for her age. She has never doubted that she wants Edward in the end, even if she has seen her other "options" as Jacob said. And I think Jake is pretty mature for 16, but I'm not sure how mature that makes him, if that makes sense. Yes, he has definitely been made to grow up fast, taking care of a parent, like Bella (as you all mentioned), and then there is the whole werewolf thing. But I do think that he is still young in some ways. There is no doubt in my mind that he loves Bella, but I do still think it is possible for him to find someone else even though right now he only has eyes for her.

That said, I don't know about real teenagers and making such big decisions. I have seen it happen, though. A couple friends of mine got married when she was 18 and he was 19, and I think there is something very special about their relationship. So it can happen that kids so young can make life changing decisions like that... but I just don't think it happens all that often. I think it is more of the exception than the rule. I remember at 16 how much I thought I knew, only to find out I was so wrong; and at 18 when I went to college how I felt so much like an adult and knew so much now that I was done with high school, only to find out how wrong I was again. I was in a very serious relationship with someone and thought we were going to end up married until I realized that no, it wasn't right. And it took me a while to admit to that. Anyway, I know how cliche it sounds, but I think it's true that as a teenager you think you know what is best all the time, and often you are not right.
"Fall down again, Bella?"
"No Emmett, I punched a werewolf in the face."

DecemberRain
Settled in Forks

Post by DecemberRain » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:26 am

edward_is_better_ wrote:I can see what you two mean.I think Bella is mentally mature enough to truly fall in love and go through work marriage.Bella is constantly thinking about her negative feelings towards marriage and hypothesises that its only because that's the way she was raised.if a person grows up looking at something from a specific perspective they obviously grow some sort exceptance or embrace of that point of view.As Bella has about marriage.

For Jacob I still believe his love is still more infatuation.Such as in Romeo and Juliet Romeo believes himself to be desperately and hopelessly in love with Rosaline.Romeo was 16.But as soon as he saw Juliet he loved her inevitably and unconditionally.I think Jacob is still capable of truly falling in love,but that his love for Bella isnt just that.

I think that some teenagers can truly fall in love,as have you two have said,but some is the key word.A persons mental and emotional growth varies from person to person depending on the circumstances of their lives.Some people simply grow up quicker than others.

Its like what Rene says to Bella, that she has an "old soul", and that she is happy that Bella was able to find another "old soul" in Edward. Like it is said above, I too believe Bella is mature enough to fall in love and to make some of the crucial life decisions that she makes (getting married etc.).

The comparison you make to Romeo and Juliet in regard to Jake is, i think, accurate, but not completely. For Romeo, i don't think Juliet is just another girl. I think the connection runs much deeper than that. I feel the same is true for Jake. I think he truly does love Bella, and it isn't just an infatuation.

From experience, I don't think age matters when it comes to falling in love. Like you say, it does not happen often, but i do think it is very possible for teenagers to fall in love completely and deeply.

What do you think?

twilightobsessive12
Settled in Forks

Post by twilightobsessive12 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:27 am

I think that Bella and Jacob are both very mature for their ages. I also believe that Bella has more of a mind to decide if she is in love with Edward or not. But I feel that Jacob is still to young to decide if he is in love with Bella or not. He's only 16. Even-though the age difference between the two of them is like 2 years. Those two years could be important in development of his maturity.
[b][size=59][color=violet]Team Edward.[/b]
and nobody can change that.
[b]Twilight=LOVE.[/b][/size][/color]

Maddie Cullen
Settled in Forks

Post by Maddie Cullen » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:35 am

I think that their feelings are true and they can be in love at such a young age. Bella is compared to a middle aged woman throughout the book... so this makes me think she knows what she's talking about, but I think Jake might still be able to love another person other than Bella, because he still is growing up a little. AND... :D I think that young adults other than the characters in this book are able to be in love at their age, it's just that sometimes love for one person isn't as powerful as it is for another.