Chapter 20 - Impatience

Our chapter by chapter discussion area for Twilight.
iheartedcullen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter 20 - Impatience

Post by iheartedcullen »

1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that yu have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die?

I'm feeling pretty convinced that she's going to be a vampire one day.

2. Jasper talks more in this chapter than any other chapter. What things do we learn about his character from the way he reacts to Bella? Were you ever afraid of him during this chapter?

I wasn't ever afraid of him. I think it's clear that he loves Alice, and I like him for that.

3. This is the frist time we learn that the vampires are venomous. What was your reaction to this news and did it make you think twice about the fact that Edward had kissed Bella?

Honestly it never occured to me. I assumed the venom only came out when they are biting something.

4. Why do you suppose Edward has been so adamant about not telling Bella how someone becomes a vampire?

Probably because Alice has already told him thats what she sees happening.

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didnt Alice clear this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?

She was probably hoping to keep her from going without scaring her with what she saw in the vision. I don't think she saw Bella there at first though. Not until Bella decided to go herself.
Shadowcat
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Shadowcat »

Alphie wrote:We can all breathe a sigh of relief that now we can answer these questions with new Moon information in our minds! YEAH! Becasue my first question has to do with just that!

1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that yu have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die?

2. Jasper talks more in this chapter than any other chapter. What things do we learn about his character from the way he reacts to Bella? Were you ever afraid of him during this chapter?

3. This is the frist time we learn that the vampires are venomous. What was your reaction to this news and did it make you think twice about the fact that Edward had kissed Bella?

4. Why do you suppose Edward has been so adamant about not telling Bella how someone becomes a vampire?

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didnt Alice cler this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?
1. Well, I guess they couldn't exactly look at Edward now, would they?

2. Jasper's just... nice. I can see where people could be afraid of him, but he's just misunderstood, he's not a bad person.

3. I was trying to think if regular vampires were venomous. Which I guess they aren't.

4. Because Edward doesn't want Bella to be a vampire, obviously.

5. I figured that she saw James at the studio, not Bella.
<center>
[img]http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/1961/brilno9.jpg[/img]<center>
AliceandJasper4ever
Wandering Through Town
Location: At my computer reading the twilight series for the 1,000 time

Post by AliceandJasper4ever »

I loved how much Jasper talked in this. I love him!!!
Proud member of Team Bella!

[url=http://www.mybannermaker.com/][img]http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/9762/mybanner476fdc2bd24f6um8.jpg[/img][/url]
RunningWithVampires
Learning to Love Green

Post by RunningWithVampires »

1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that you have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die?

Edward was really imporatnt to all of the Cullens. First of all, his talent really helped them out. He was funny and considerate of others. But most of all, they really loved Edward, he was a favourite of almost everyone! If Edward pulled a Romeo a piece of each of them would die inside. Edward has done so much for them, they must help him!

Nope, I was excited about hearing more from him. He fascinated me.

I knew Edward was really careful and for a good reason too.

Edward didn't want Bella to get too many ideas...

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didnt Alice clear this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?

If Bella didn't go to the studio, something even worse could have happened. Alice was worrying about everyone's safety, and she's always worrying about Jasper (although Jasper could easily take James).
Rachel:)
“This hostage stuff is fun.â€Â
Edward<3
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Edward<3 »

1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that you have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die?

I feel like he really really really cares about her. he would kill himself just to be with Bella. That is true love. haha

I think we learned a lot about Jasper. we learned how much Jasper cared about the situation, and we learned how patient he could be.

i was like, "oh great.. :roll:" No, it didn't make me think twice about Edward kissing Bella. It didn't change my feelings when they were together.

He didnt want to tell her because he wanted to protect her, like always. He also didnt want to scare her.

Alice didnt know whether or not Bella was going to go to the studio. She didnt know the significance, neither had Bella. Alice didnt know if Bella had decided to go because she didnt see Bella in the vision.
"Tell me what you want, and you can have it."
"You," I mumbled almost incoherently.
"I'm yours."
almost a bella

Post by almost a bella »

[quote="Alphie"]We can all breathe a sigh of relief that now we can answer these questions with new Moon information in our minds! YEAH! Becasue my first question has to do with just that!

HE REALLY LOVES HER. AND SHE IS HIS WHOLE LIFE.

NO, HE IS VERY PATIENT.

JUST ANTHOER PROBLEM

HE DOESN'T WANT HER TO GET THAT IDEA.

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didnt Alice cler this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?[/quote]

I DON'T KNOW.
TWILIGHT: The story of the lion and the lamb. A modern tale of Romeo and Juliet.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;0;5/st/20080802/e/Breaking+Dawn+Release/dt/-1/k/611c/event.png[/img]
[/url]

Fan Fics:on fanfiction.net 9user name: lavenderbella0
Jane's Visit
What? Engaged1
demolition_lover
Settled in Forks

Post by demolition_lover »

You know, I'm not really sure how I feel.

That he cares more for Bella than he puts out. I wasn't afraid of him at all because, for one, he wouldn't kill Bella after all they are doing to protect her now, two, he knows how Edward would react, and three, he loves Alice too much to do that to her.

3. This is the first time we learn that the vampires are venomous. What was your reaction to this news and did it make you think twice about the fact that Edward had kissed Bella?

I think that Edward would be afraid that Bella wouldn't want to kiss him at all, or have the opposite effect and try to get him to make a mistake and accidentally graze her with his teeth.

He doesn't want her getting any ideas, is what I think. Or he wants to spare her the details.

I'm not really sure about that one.
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/popperdropper8991/OHMYGODILOVEIT.jpg[/img]
mommavamp
Wandering Through Town

Post by mommavamp »

Knowing what happens makes me feel more pain for the Cullen family when it comes to this statement because we now know that Edward does not want to live should Bella ever die! Edward is a very clever vampire and I believe if he so chooses he will not live much longer after Bella's death (if that were to happen).

Jasper never frightened me during this chapter. I feel we learn that Jasper is capable of human emotions if only thru feeling what others feel. He can empathize with Bella and Edward because he loves Alice that much, he just never has to imagine losing her like Edward and Bella do.

I really did not even think about Edward kissing Bella and the whole venom thing. Just like wha Alice (and Edward) say, these vampires have so many weapons available to them that they really don't even need. The venom must be there for the sole purpose of changing someone.????

I think Edward does not want Bella to be exposed to the pain and violence of being changed into a vampire. He does not want her to get any ideas.

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didnt Alice cler this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?

I was very curious about this myself. Why couldn't Alice "see" what Bella was planning? Maybe there was just so much coming at Alice at once that she got confused and was not sure what she was "seeing" really meant.
lisajane

Post by lisajane »

I think this question is now irrevelent after New Moon, because we know that Edward would most likely go to kill himself if Bella were to die. I think perhaps it could now refer to that the Cullens could no longer look at each other, if they were to lose Edward via Bella, whom they were to protect.

Never frightened by him in this chapter, we get to know how he truly feels.

I wasn't surprised when we learnt that they are venomous - how do they turn humans into vampires otherwise? Drinking their blood would just kill them. The fact that Edward pulls away when Bella opens her mouth during their kisses makes more sense then, because Edward doesn't want to wind up biting her with venom.

Because if Bella did find out how, she'd be even more wanting to become one, even more interested, and Edward doesn't want her to be a vampire.

I think for a couple reasons - one, because Alice's 'seeing' ability changes when the person changes their course, and she might've thought that Bella was adamant on meeting Edward at the airport rather than running for the studio; and two, because whether she told her that or not, Bella might've gone on her own anyway.
Isabella Cullen
Ignoring Renee's E-mails
Location: Stumbling around, lost and alone...waiting for him to find me.

Post by Isabella Cullen »

I think that it's completely null and void. We all know what happened at the end of New Moon, how close it came to ending all in complete Romeo and Juliet tragedy. I think now with better understanding of Edward's mentality, we can fully grasp that there would be no living with Edward if Bella were to die.

He is truly an amazing and complex person. He's kept his distance for Bella's sake on behalf of his brother's request, which shows me that he has a strong character. Though the temptation was much more difficult for him to handle in this chapter, he managed to curb it for the sake of taking care of Bella.
Mind over matter indeed. :)
I can't say that I was ever afraid of Jasper, even after the first chapter of New Moon. He's not Edward, but that doesn't change who he is as a person. I like Jasper. He's a nice guy.

3. This is the first time we learn that the vampires are venomous. What was your reaction to this news and did it make you think twice about the fact that Edward had kissed Bella?
It made me wonder.
Only after that did I start having my first doubts about Edward and Bella's relationship. How could they be so close, yet so far away? :(

Because there was a little voice of doubt in the back of his mind that told him that Bella wouldn't want to be with him forever. It would be too much to risk her humanity and her soul to steal her away for eternity.
I also think too that though Bella declared that becoming a vampire was what she wanted, I doubt very seriously that that's what Edward truly wanted for her.

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didn't Alice clear this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?
As Alice said before, her visions are purely speculative. They're glimpses of what could possibly happen, not what actually does transpire. I know as well as anyone that even if Alice had flat out told Bella not to go there, with Renée's life in jeopardy, Bella would still have gone there.
Alice questioned Bella's reasons for going there before she receives the phone call from James, so it was obvious then that Bella wouldn't have had any reason for going. Until that fateful phone call. :(
“Look after my heart—I left it with you.â€