SM/DND The Jacob Effect

General discussion about the Twilight Series Universe.
Cocoa
Clarifying Base Running for Edward

SM/DND The Jacob Effect

Post by Cocoa » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:52 am

This is a thread to discuss the effect that Stephenie's growing love of the character Jacob Black has on the books ~ past and future.

To quote Stephenie..."Don't tell E, but I do completely love you best!" (as taken from her post on the Jacob Black myspace page)

How do you feel Stephenie's affection for Jacob effected Previous books?

Do you think it will affect the direction of Breaking Dawn?

*a note of warning* Please remember the manifesto when posting on this thread. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without notice. If this thread does evolve into a debate like thread. Remember to take a time out if you begin to feel hot under the collar.

Play Nice, and remember on this site we love Jacob Black too.
Last edited by Cocoa on Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

SPARKLES
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by SPARKLES » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:19 am

I am totally a Team Edward gal but I do love Jacob as well. I think that SM's love for Jacob has to have had some effect on how she wrote his character in the previous books. How could it not? And while I do think her adoration for Jacob will affect certain things in BD, such as I believe wholeheartedly he will be back and play a large role in the book, I just can't see her doing anything like splitting Edward and Bella up for the sake of making Jacob happy. I believe she loves Edward and Bella too, and wants them to be happy as well. But I think she'll put a "big bow" on Jacob's story too.
[img]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/smileymontes/BE.jpg[/img][img]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m190/rossumrox05/Bella%20and%20Edward/teamedward.jpg[/img][img]http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u78/heart_in_the_clouds/Avatars%20and%20Icons/Twilight%20series/blackandtealheart2ux8.png[/img]

em's_twilight
Learning to Love Green

Post by em's_twilight » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:29 am

I am totally a Team Edward gal but I do love Jacob as well. I think that SM's love for Jacob has to have had some effect on how she wrote his character in the previous books. How could it not? And while I do think her adoration for Jacob will affect certain things in BD, such as I believe wholeheartedly he will be back and play a large role in the book, I just can't see her doing anything like splitting Edward and Bella up for the sake of making Jacob happy. I believe she loves Edward and Bella too, and wants them to be happy as well. But I think she'll put a "big bow" on Jacob's story too.
I agree I think SM will give Jacob a happy ending. I am on Team Edward but i also have a uncontrolable love for Jacob. Why is that i wonder?? Well anyways SM will probley give him a "va va voom" ending. YAY

Much love
Em :D
[img]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/sourflower64/bella5.jpg[/img]
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return"

LisaCullenAZ
Fishing with Charlie

Post by LisaCullenAZ » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:40 pm

Well, here I go. *sigh*

First of all, a disclaimer:

I love Edward. He's the one who ultimately has my devotion.

But I can't deny (and I don't think Edward would want me to ;))
that Jacob is just endearing to me. I think he is so... dorky cute. "Sixteen-year-old" lovable and sweet. Juvenile and impudent, yes. But somehow so cuddly. I totally have that urge when I read - the one that Bella describes as wanting to grab him and hug him and cuddle and protect him. *Though I have to admit that I have the urge when I read about Edward, too. Especially when he is sad or has been hurt.

Anyway, I am glad and relieved (rather than worried... even though perhaps I should be) when I read that Stephenie loves Jacob so much. Because I am sure that means he'll have a happy ending. And I need him to have a happy ending. He was so broken at the end of Eclipse, it just broke me.

I do hope his presence doesn't overwhelmingly infringe on any more Bedward time in the books, though. I did notice that in Eclipse. I want more swoony girl moments in BD. I've got my fingers crossed and my hopes high.

And of course, I take heart in the thought that Stephenie would find it impossible to separate forever the couple that started this whole journey for her. Her initial inspiration came from that dream of Bedward, when they were in the meadow trying to figure out a way to be together. It has to end with resolution to that dream. She wouldn't have it any other way, I'm sure.

At least I think I'm sure. :lol:
[img]http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd76/sprtygal/Cliff.gif[/img]
[color=black][size=84]Banner by Fry ~ Thank You, thank you, thank you![/color][/size]

Adultae lexiconum recipientes nuntiis singulis.

uhm_its_april
Settled in Forks

Post by uhm_its_april » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:26 pm

hmmm. well, since SM is so affectionate of jacob, im pretty sure he wont be killed off. GAH! if she kills jacob, ill cry soooo hard. =[

i wish bella wouldve picked jacob. i guess the whole imprinting thing didnt work on her, so maybe he'll still get someone he loves.
peace&love.

TEAM JACOB. ALL THE WAY.

LindsAy
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by LindsAy » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:46 pm

I was so surprised to read this. At several signing transcripts I read, she's always said that picking between Edward and Jacob would be like picking which of her children she likes best, that she just couldn't. Which is it? Does she like them equally, or does she love Jacob more?:?: I've heard it theorized other places that this is her way of preparing for Bella to change her mind and pick Jacob in Breaking Dawn, but I don't know honestly.

alduhkneel
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by alduhkneel » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:24 pm

SPARKLES wrote:And while I do think her adoration for Jacob will affect certain things in BD, such as I believe wholeheartedly he will be back and play a large role in the book, I just can't see her doing anything like splitting Edward and Bella up for the sake of making Jacob happy.
I believe in that too - I think Edward and Bella are too committed with one another to be broken by Jacob. In that same sense, I think SM will find another way to make Jacob happier - to allow him to find a better life without it completely revolving around Bella (because I know that even as he gets older, Bella will always be a part of him). As for Breaking Dawn, I'm pretty sure that Jacob will be one of the central roles (and maybe even the second narrator, who knows) since Bella's tale is beginning to wrap up (obviously she has a whole existence to live, but the main of it has been the last 3 books) and the loose ends are beginning to tie.
[b]ALDUHKNEEL:[/b] it was something like "thanks a lot Twilight, for giving me unrealistic expectations for human men" and it's so true
[b]ALDUHKNEEL:[/b] like now i'll expect the perfect guy to be either a) this sweet smelling, golden eyed, vegetarian vampire or b) this 6' something Native American werewolf who's basically a space heater with a body temp of 108.9
[b]SPANDEXGALORRRE:[/b] i'd go with the space heater.
[b]ALDUHKNEEL:[/b] i'm starting to think that too...

omgitseka
Wandering Through Town

Post by omgitseka » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:31 pm

I think the reason SM loves Jacob over Edward is supported by a couple of reasons.

1) Stephenie has had time to develop Jacob over time and i suppose help him "grow up", whereas Edward was already a 200yo vampire.

2) I think since Stephenie is so intune with her books, and after that last chapter of Eclipse, I can't help but think that Stephenie sympathises for Jacob just that little bit, that he couldn't have the Jacob and Bella ending that he wanted.

3) My third reason goes back to my first point. Jacob is a lot younger, naive, and arrogant than Edward. He needs more taking care of.

So i think that it's fair to say that Stephenie's taken up the role of not only the writer of an amazing series, but has also gained the role as a mother to a character who can't really remember his own.

:D

*edit*
I think that because of this adoration for Jacob, he will imprint on someone and have his... well not ideal happy ending, but a happy one none-the-less. :)
<center>
[img]http://i10.tinypic.com/82i7olg.jpg[/img]
</center>

Visitor
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by Visitor » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:41 pm

LindsAy wrote:I've heard it theorized other places that this is her way of preparing for Bella to change her mind and pick Jacob in Breaking Dawn, but I don't know honestly.
LindsAy, that possibility concerns me as well. Because by making her feelings known is such a way, it does seem as if she wants us to take something from it. Of course, I could be over thinking things . . . in which case . . . I love over thinking! So let me have at it! :D

One concern is that if she does keep B&E together in BD, it will almost feel like she's throwing a bone to her fans as opposed to ending the story the way she may want to (like putting Bella with Jacob). But if she doesn't want Bella with Jacob, it could still feel like a slight blemish on one of the greatest love stories ever told. By that I mean, SM's unwavering support of Jacob and her subsequent admission that she loves Jacob best, is to me, an indication that she feels that between Edward and Jacob, Jacob is the better man. And if that is true, then for fans who want to see B&E together no matter what, that joy (should it ever come to pass) may be diminished by the thought that Bella did not end up with the person that SM (the creator of the TW world and therefore the one who's opinion really matters) felt was best. In other words, what was once something fans longed to see, becomes more of a haloed victory in light of SM's feelings.

It's actually a bit confusing when you think about it. Because personally, I fell in love with this story not only through the written word, but also through SM's enthusiastic commentary about B&E out of the book. But now, I'm not sure what I am supposed to ultimately gain from the story. Should I still root for B&E? Should I root for B&J? Should I root for B&E just as long as I love Jacob too? Honestly, I'm not sure. But I would be fooling myself if I didn't think that the 'Jacob Effect' has not already influenced (or will further influence) the story.

But I'm with you on this point Lisa, if SM keeps B&E together in BD, I hope that the 'Jacob Effect' doesn't prevent us from seeing more swoony Bedward moments. 'Twould be a shame to miss any of it. :wink:
"Why did she have to come here? Why did she have to exist? Why did she have to ruin the little peace I had in this non-life of mine? Why had this aggravating human ever been born? She would ruin me."
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

[b]"So the witnesses first then."[/b]

[i]Edward Cullen, MS[/i]

Cocoa
Clarifying Base Running for Edward

Post by Cocoa » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:37 pm

THIS IS NOT! I REPEAT NOT A THREAD TO STATE YOUR FEELINGS ABOUT JACOB ON!

This is a thread to discuss the effects that an authors love of a certian character can have on the plot of a book.

There should be ZERO posts that talk about YOUR opinions of Jacob. They will be deleted.

If you can't contribute to the conversation stay off this thread.
Last edited by Cocoa on Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.