If you were Bella's friend

General discussion about the Twilight Series Universe.
xXdestinee619Xx
Teaching Eric Social Graces

If you were Bella's friend

Post by xXdestinee619Xx »

ok in New Moon we all know how Bella's "friends" in her school treated her after Edward left her. In your opinion, (and lets base this as if we don't know her relationship with Edward, as if we were watching their relationship from the outside. Just like everyone else) do you think Bella deserved the silent treatment. I mean she was a total zombie, all of a sudden she stopped talking and calling her friends back. Then all of a sudden she's back with no explanation. Or do you think that if they were Bella's friends they should understand that her heart was just broken, and when things started to get better (when she woke up from her zombie-like state) they should have been happy and not annoyed.

I personally think that they should have been more supportive. I mean wasnt it obvious she was in love- even from the outside perspective it was obvious. And then all of a sudden she lost true love. At least Angela was nice, she's like the only one that likes her in that school. poor bella!
Aquamarine
Settled in Forks

Post by Aquamarine »

I definately agree. It wasn't fair of them just to abandon her! If I was her friend, I would have tried to keep her mind off of it and talked with her about it. Maybe they tried to do these things and maybe she just wasn't responding to anyone's help, but when she came back to her somewhat normal self, a lot of them were still mad at her!
xXdestinee619Xx
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by xXdestinee619Xx »

yes i know i was really irritated when it comes to these parts in the book. i mean we all know that lauren never liked her, but there was a part in the book where bella said jessica was her best friends, I'll go look at the page later but I know Bella said that. At that point I just started laughing.
EbonyCircles
Wandering Through Town

Post by EbonyCircles »

I don't think that they just abandoned her. I mean there's a part in New Moon where Bella or it might have been her father who said that her friend's tried to help her, they called her and stuff but after awhile when she didn't get any better they stopped.

I've thought a lot about this problem, it was one of the biggest problems I had with the book altogether. The problem is that friendship is so important to any high schooler, but through my experience in high school I've learned that friendship is a two way street. Bella burnt her own bridges long before Edward left. From her perspective it doesn't sound like she spent a lot of time with them during the summer before her senior year, basically she isolated herself from them.

But I agree they should have tried to help and it sounds like they did, but after awhile people just get sick of her hearing the same sob, oh-my-poor-heart-just-got-broken-story. Bella didn't want to heal or move on she just wanted to mope and her friends got sick of it. I would have tried to have been supportive but at some point I think I would have sat her down and smacked her across the face and told her "he isn't coming back so let's move on." It may sound harsh but after awhile that's what I felt she needed, was just someone to tell her it's ok to move on with your life.

I'll just say this, to the outside world Edward didn't abandon her, his family moved. To her friends the choice wasn't Edward's to make it was Carlisle's. They can't see what we as readers see.
"I'm getting nowhere with you, and I can't let it go and I can't get through."
~Ani DiFranco
Juliet
Banging out dents with Tyler

Re: If you were Bella's friend

Post by Juliet »

xXdestinee619Xx wrote:ok in New Moon we all know how Bella's "friends" in her school treated her after Edward left her. In your opinion, (and lets base this as if we don't know her relationship with Edward, as if we were watching their relationship from the outside. Just like everyone else) do you think Bella deserved the silent treatment. I mean she was a total zombie, all of a sudden she stopped talking and calling her friends back. Then all of a sudden she's back with no explanation. Or do you think that if they were Bella's friends they should understand that her heart was just broken, and when things started to get better (when she woke up from her zombie-like state) they should have been happy and not annoyed.

I personally think that they should have been more supportive. I mean wasnt it obvious she was in love- even from the outside perspective it was obvious. And then all of a sudden she lost true love. At least Angela was nice, she's like the only one that likes her in that school. poor bella!
I would have been as supportive as possible, but i got the impression that she really shut everone out-and i'd be lying if i said i wouldn't have given up after a few months, i would however welcome her back with open arms when she came back to her old self
Rosalie House!!-because we're the girls you love to hate

(amazing avie made by Mayde, thanks!)

TEAM JACOB. Because he's human.
HopelesslyDevotedtoEdward
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by HopelesslyDevotedtoEdward »

If I had been her friend, I wouldn't have been annoyed with her, but I probably would have given her some space and then came back to comfort her when she was less zombie-like. Although I've never been very good at comforting people...lol
Team Edward!
*Because only a vampire can love you forever*
Member of the [color=cyan]COCL[/color]
[b][color=red]Officially converted to Cullenism![/color][/b]
Tennyo
Steph's Metaphysical Devil's Advocate

Post by Tennyo »

I'm always surprised that the school didn't intervene in Bella's depression. Was she really invisible as she thought? The teachers didn't notice that she didn't talk to anyone, didn't take much interest in anything? Nowadays teachers can be even too pushy when they think you're upset.

But it's true, she did dump her friends for Edward a lot before he even left.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/OpalTennyo/reviseded.gif[/img]
EbonyCircles
Wandering Through Town

Post by EbonyCircles »

I'm always surprised that the school didn't intervene in Bella's depression.
How could they know she was depressed? We saw Bella's depression becasue we can see inside her mind, but she was making good grades, she was coming to school, she still sat with her friends as lunch. Bella did everything to try and hide/shut up how she was truly feeling from the world
~Ani DiFranco
Tennyo
Steph's Metaphysical Devil's Advocate

Post by Tennyo »

Charlie could tell. Her friends (including Angela, who I'd expect to ask an adult to intervene) knew something was wrong. Was there no one concerned about her behaviour?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/OpalTennyo/reviseded.gif[/img]
EbonyCircles
Wandering Through Town

Post by EbonyCircles »

People were concerned for Bella, but they tried to help her and wanted none of it. Charlie could tell something was wrong and he tried to intervene, he thought that removing Bella from Forks might make her happy. He even called up Renee and they were in the middle of packing and Bella came and freaked out. Eventually people I think will just get used to the way Bella became. They accepted the "new" zombie-esque girl, because that's all they could do. They know something's wrong but they've tried to help and Bella didn't want to be helped. She felt that moving on and forgetting about it would be worse then living the life of a zombie.
~Ani DiFranco