Billy Black

Discussion on the various characters throughout the books.
haaleey
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by haaleey »

<center> I think Billy's a bit nosey,
<center> But he has Bella's best interest at heart..
<center> Plus, he has plenty of reason to dislike the Cullens
<center> They're his natural enemy
<center> And, he watched Edward literally kill Bella's spirit when he left
<center> Obviously, that would give him reason to distrust Edward...
<center> I think he makes a lot of sense
<center> And he's obviously a good person...

<center> QUESTION:
<center> Is it ever mentioned how he ended up in a wheelchair?
[size=75]<center>"I am switzerland. I refuse to be affected by territorial disputes between mythical creatures"</center>

<center>I love them both</center>
<center>[img]http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg57/Messwitme13/Edward-3.png[/img][img]http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z11/Grayfur/Jacob%20Black/werewolfface.png[/img]</center>[/size]
Esme echo
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Esme echo »

I read somewhere that Billy ended up in a wheelchair due to diabetes. I don't remember the source; it might be in the character bios.

Why do you think Billy did not tell Jacob about the reality of werewolves before he phased the first time? Billy had to realize the werewolf gene had been triggered in Jacob when Jacob started to grow out of control and his temperature shot up! Why did there have to be this big secret from someone who was certainly going to be joining the pack sooner rather than later? Wouldn't it have made things easier for Jacob to know what was going on?

Do you think it was hard for Billy not to tell Jacob why the tribe was listening to Sam so much, and why his best friends were acting so weird? It couldn't have been easy for Billy to watch his son's anxiety and confusion.

Did Billy really think the Cullens were gone for good after they left in New Moon?
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
missbrunettgirl
Wandering Through Town

Post by missbrunettgirl »

I was wondering this also and I kind of have a theory. Billy did tell Jacob about the legends of the wolf pack, but Jake did not believe him. Remember he regarded them as superstitions. So in a way Billy did kind of warn Jacob about what he would become. I mean Jacob thought that his dad was a bit crazy for beieving in those legends. Even if Billy did tell Jacob I really don't think that he would have beleived him. After all he never did before. I guess it was once of those see it had to believe it kind of things for Jacob.
"Thou shalt not kill is a commonly accepted by most major belife systems. And I've killed a lot of people Bella."
-Edward Cullen
"Only the bad ones."
-Bella Swan
Esme echo

Post by Esme echo »

A very good point, missbrunettgirl. I just wonder if it would have made a big difference to Jacob if he had seen a werewolf, and been told, "This is your destiny" before suddenly having it thrust upon him. A little specific information is a wonderful thing! He could have backed off on his relationship with Bella just a little bit, so his absence wasn't such a shock to her (made an excuse, like "out of town" for a couple of weeks!), and he would have had less stress, too.

I just wonder why all the secrecy between those who would almost certainly join the pack. You'd think once a youth's temperature started to crank up, the change was inevitable, and they could be told--even shown--what to expect.
missbrunettgirl
Wandering Through Town

Yeah I totally agree. I think that the council totally dropped the ball on that. The secrecy was too much and the situation was really freaking out future members. Imagine being Quil. He saw his best friends join this 'cult.' Hopefully they will handel it better in future generations.
"Thou shalt not kill is a commonly accepted by most major belife systems. And I've killed a lot of people Bella."
-Edward Cullen
"Only the bad ones."
-Bella Swan
missbrunettgirl
Wandering Through Town

I was thinking a last night and I had a theory as to why the council didn't show the futrue pack members what they would become. What if they were afraid that showing them would cause the boys to freak out and change on the spot? I mean wouldn't you be freaked out and upset if you saw a huge wolf and were told that you would going to turn into one? Just a thought. Tell me what you think...
-Edward Cullen
"Only the bad ones."
-Bella Swan
Esme echo

Post by Esme echo »

I think preparing for that eventuality in a controlled environment is preferable to someone getting hurt when the guys/girls changed unexpectedly. Look what happened to Harry Clearwater ... when Leah and Seth changed, he had a heart-attack and died! When Jacob changed, Billy's life was in danger--'cause Jacob was totally freaked out!

I just wonder if Stephenie has an opinion about this, or if the possibility that the candidates might be told ahead of time created other problems in writing the story that she didn't want to deal with.

I don't know, I just thought it was an interesting idea.
missbrunettgirl
Wandering Through Town

I wonder just how many near misses there were when some of the pack members changed for the first time. I'm suprised there wasn't anyone who was seriouly hurt. I'd like to hear some of the pack members stories on their first time changing.

p.s. the message boards are closing soon so I would just like to say good bye to everyone until august third! I can't wait to dicuss Breaking Dawn with you all!
-Edward Cullen
"Only the bad ones."
-Bella Swan
elysiepiecie

Post by elysiepiecie »

Billy Black reminds me of my Paw-Paw (grandpa). The stories he tells, in which nobody pays attention to at first and later they find out are pretty important, remind me a lot of my Paw-Paw. Even though I was a bit peeved with Billy when he first started interfering with Bella and Edward in Twilight, I have accepted that he meant no harm. I respect Billy as someone with a lot of knowledge.