Which Character do you dislike, and which one do you love?

Discussion on the various characters throughout the books.
greeneggs
Learning to Love Green
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:15 pm

Post by greeneggs »

luvedwardcullen wrote:And...I think the most important element is authorial intent.
To the contrary, authorial intent is meaningless. It's not considered part of canon.

Is Fahrenheit 415 a book about censorship? The author would like to differ, but it doesn't matter. The source material speaks for itself better than its author can.

greeneggs
Learning to Love Green
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:15 pm

Post by greeneggs »

babygirlk11 wrote:
meganj924 wrote:
Alpha_Wolf wrote:I whole heartly agree, with everyone who doesn't like Edward or Bella.
Bella, I hate her so freaking much. I seriously wanted to just yell out WTF, when I heard that Bella was supposed to be a normal teenage girl that girls could relate to. I do not in any way shape or form relate to bella except for the fact that she likes to read and is smart, book smart, that is. I have an attitude and no boy has the nerve to tell me what to do. She does what Edward says more than she obeys her father. I also hate the "One look in his eyes, and I knew there nothing I could deny him". The scene when she was trying to push Edward into having sex with her was disgusting.
I also find it repulsive that she's willing to up everything just for a boy.
Edward, I have no idea why all of you people like him. He doesn't appeal to me at all. His personality is super creepy, he's supper cheesy, like out of a cheap romance novel, and is boring with no personality (same goes for bella). People say that Jacob is manipulative and he is kind of, but he certainly isn't the only one. Edward is too. I think that the Jacob loves bella thing started when she "turned on the charm" to get him to tell her the tribal stories, in her pathetic attempt to flirt. That was a form of manuplation, to me.

meganj924- I am the same way. When I'm reading the Edward and Bella parts (too many by the way), I have to use real will power to keep myself from chucking the book at a wall, or at somebody.
Eeeek definitely. Edward is unbelievably creepy. I mean honestly-- he was breaking into her room to watch her sleep before they were even together. I read that part of Twilight and was just like, "OMG CREEPY STALKER MAN GET AWAY GET AWAY!". It's one thing to watch someone sleep if you are actually in a relationship with that person, but he wasn't even in a relationship with her. They weren't even friends or anything. It was just... creepy. And his overprotectiveness and possessiveness is just creepy. The obsession they have with each other is just weird.

I hated the scene where she was trying to talk Edward into having sex... I felt like I was intruding on some private moment or something. I just felt kind of awkward. Talking about sex doesn't freak me out, but I just felt weird reading their dialog about it.

When he watched her sleep it wasnt creepy. He was just curious about her. I mean come on when it explains wat happens to him when shes close by wouldnt you be curious? I mean he's been on this world for almost 110 years and nothing like this has ever happened to him before....I mean dang he didnt watch her take her clothes off or anything.......just while she slept. There was no harm done.

Curiousity does not prevent creepy.

there's a dude who sneaks into your room when you're sleeping. You can honestly say you're not creeped out? Because that kind of screams pervert.

greeneggs
Learning to Love Green
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:15 pm

Post by greeneggs »

Alpha_Wolf wrote:I whole heartly agree, with everyone who doesn't like Edward or Bella.
Bella, I hate her so freaking much. I seriously wanted to just yell out WTF, when I heard that Bella was supposed to be a normal teenage girl that girls could relate to. I do not in any way shape or form relate to bella except for the fact that she likes to read and is smart, book smart, that is. I have an attitude and no boy has the nerve to tell me what to do. She does what Edward says more than she obeys her father. I also hate the "One look in his eyes, and I knew there nothing I could deny him". The scene when she was trying to push Edward into having sex with her was disgusting.
I also find it repulsive that she's willing to up everything just for a boy.
Edward, I have no idea why all of you people like him. He doesn't appeal to me at all. His personality is super creepy, he's supper cheesy, like out of a cheap romance novel, and is boring with no personality (same goes for bella). People say that Jacob is manipulative and he is kind of, but he certainly isn't the only one. Edward is too. I think that the Jacob loves bella thing started when she "turned on the charm" to get him to tell her the tribal stories, in her pathetic attempt to flirt. That was a form of manuplation, to me.

meganj924- I am the same way. When I'm reading the Edward and Bella parts (too many by the way), I have to use real will power to keep myself from chucking the book at a wall, or at somebody.

Wow, I agree.

greeneggs
Learning to Love Green
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:15 pm

Post by greeneggs »

babygirlk11 wrote:
meganj924 wrote:Pretend that there is a boy at your school who is fairly good at figuring girls out. He doesn't have a hard time understanding people. A new girl moves to school, and for once in his life, she's a mystery to him. He doesn't understand her. So he decides to ILLEGALLY break into her house and watch her sleep for the sole purpose of finding out about him.

How is that not creepy? It's not cute at all. If SM has managed to brainwash you guys into thinking breaking into someone's house simply because you are "curious" is acceptable, I think she has hit a new low as an author. What if I said I was curious about boys bathrooms, and decided to sneak into one just to watch? I mean you guys would probably call me a freak. Or what if I said I was curious about how banks run, so I decided to break into one? Being "curious" doesn't make it moral, ethical, or right. Breaking into the house of someone you barely know just because you are "curious" doesn't make it acceptable or moral.

I stick with my opinion. Breaking into someone's house out of "curiousity" is just unbelievably extreme and completely, obsessively stalker-ish. If people do that in today's society, they go to jail. Breaking into another person's house isn't something to be taken lightly!


Haven't we already come to the conclusion that Edward isnt like every other guy? He didnt hurt her, he didnt have intentions of hurting her in any way. He wanted to kno why she was immune to his "gift". And yes in reality stalkers get sent to jail. but there are also no vampires OR werewolves in reality either. Edward broke into her house and you think he's a stalker right? Well Jaocb forcecfully held her down and kissed her. Without her consent and ignoring the fact that she was trying to break free. Wouldn't that make a regular guy seem horrible too? But you dont consider him to be right?? Dont get me wrong I like Jacob just as much as the next person. But the point is everyone makes mistakes and everyone has flaws. You just except it and get over it. These books are ficticious meaning its not reality. so why break every little thing Edward does to mean he is weird or psychotic? He's a sweet guy with the right intentions.

And no SM did not brainwash us. Our opinions are our own. As wellwas yours.
I jusr watched a movie about a schizophrenic.

totally decent, moral guy, completely didn;t mean to hurt anyone.

That didn't stop them from locking him up and getting him the mental treatment that HE NEEDED. He was harming his own wife... He MEANT NO HARM.

But lack of malignant intention does NOT excuse criminal activity.

greeneggs
Learning to Love Green
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:15 pm

Post by greeneggs »

meganj924 wrote:
babygirlk11 wrote:
meganj924 wrote:Pretend that there is a boy at your school who is fairly good at figuring girls out. He doesn't have a hard time understanding people. A new girl moves to school, and for once in his life, she's a mystery to him. He doesn't understand her. So he decides to ILLEGALLY break into her house and watch her sleep for the sole purpose of finding out about him.

How is that not creepy? It's not cute at all. If SM has managed to brainwash you guys into thinking breaking into someone's house simply because you are "curious" is acceptable, I think she has hit a new low as an author. What if I said I was curious about boys bathrooms, and decided to sneak into one just to watch? I mean you guys would probably call me a freak. Or what if I said I was curious about how banks run, so I decided to break into one? Being "curious" doesn't make it moral, ethical, or right. Breaking into the house of someone you barely know just because you are "curious" doesn't make it acceptable or moral.

I stick with my opinion. Breaking into someone's house out of "curiousity" is just unbelievably extreme and completely, obsessively stalker-ish. If people do that in today's society, they go to jail. Breaking into another person's house isn't something to be taken lightly!


Haven't we already come to the conclusion that Edward isnt like every other guy? He didnt hurt her, he didnt have intentions of hurting her in any way. He wanted to kno why she was immune to his "gift". And yes in reality stalkers get sent to jail. but there are also no vampires OR werewolves in reality either. Edward broke into her house and you think he's a stalker right? Well Jaocb forcecfully held her down and kissed her. Without her consent and ignoring the fact that she was trying to break free. Wouldn't that make a regular guy seem horrible too? But you dont consider him to be right?? Dont get me wrong I like Jacob just as much as the next person. But the point is everyone makes mistakes and everyone has flaws. You just except it and get over it. These books are ficticious meaning its not reality. so why break every little thing Edward does to mean he is weird or psychotic? He's a sweet guy with the right intentions.

And no SM did not brainwash us. Our opinions are our own. As wellwas yours.
Jacob originally kissed her against her will, but she kissed him back. In the book she says she just shut down and let him have his fun, but Jake says she kissed her back. One of the users on here (a Team Edwarder) told me she read an interview in which SM said Bella did, in fact, kiss Jake back a little bit. She just didn't realize it. So the kiss wasn't entirely against her will. Plus Bella led Jacob on completely-- they held hands and cuddled all the time. She didn't ever show she had a problem with them doing things like that. Jake thought she wanted him to kiss her, so I don't blame him too much. He shouldn't have done it, but Bella led him on and made him believe it's what she wanted. So it's Bella's fault too.

I know it's a fictitious book, but the point is, people learn things from the books they read. Even when it's fictitious. One of the reasons I read books is so that I can learn from the mistakes of the characters. And look at all the obsession over Twilight-- SM has a lot of girls hanging onto her every word. I don't like that SM has included things in her series that are rationalized by readers, even though they would be seen as horrible in real life. It bugs me.

To me, part of reading is[/b] breaking down characters. In nearly every book I read, I break down the characters' actions. Twilight isn't an exception to that. So I do break down the things Edward does... I've done the same thing with all the important characters, though.


I agree.

It disgust me how so many girls are using Edward to set standards for their boyfriends. It is so wrong.

greeneggs
Learning to Love Green
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:15 pm

Post by greeneggs »

luvedwardcullen wrote:Exactly. It isn't reality and Edward is a VAMPIRE....vampire....he should have his own set of rules
Yeah well I'm a veela, so now I have my own set of rules, too.

They involve introducing you to a roll of duct tape. I'm sure you two will be great friends.

MAYBE EVEN DESTINED TRUE LOVERS.

December
Banging out dents with Tyler
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:16 pm
Location: Ars Longa Vita Brevis

Post by December »

Guys.... Can I ask you all please in the nicest way to knock it off? You are all articulate and intelligent posters who know the difference between unimpassioned debate and badly-disguised impatience with one another. If other people's opinions annoy you, please don't post about them until you can control your annoyance. If you can't put your opinions tactfully enough that they're not going to annoy someone else (and yes, on a message board that means going the extra mile to put avoid extreme statements of your position!) please don't post them. Debate is interesting. Arguments are no fun. We can all tell which is which.

And remember......these characters mean a lot to people here. That doesn't mean you can't criticize them, but...do it nicely. Like you would if you were talking to someone about a friend of theirs. Like you'd want people to talk about your friends. SERIOUSLY....

Be nice. Or the Management will probably come close down this conversation.
[img]http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff118/DecembersPhotos/icefogbranchesphotocropmore.jpg[/img]
adultae lexiconum recipientes nuntiis singulis

babygirlk11
Settled in Forks
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:03 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Post by babygirlk11 »

Well like I said I like Jake too......but he still shouldn't have done it. He kissed her after Edward came back. He knew it was wrong but he gave in to himself. Its an honest mistake and when Edward was watching Bella it was because he gave in to his curiousity as well. He shouldn't have but he did. Jake too. Its happened its over. Oh well.

And no I do not compare my boyfriend to Edward. Its impossible for him to live up to those standards. No guy can, Edward is too perfect. When you like someone its not finding a perfect person. Its finding an imperfect person perfect by excepting their flaws. Thats life and edward is so perfect because thats not reality.

So sorry to all the Jake-fans if I offended them they were all pointing out Edwards imperfections so I thought I would point out Jakes too. He can be rash sometimes and a little immature but he does have good intentions. Just like Edward who can be controlling and overprotective but he does it out of love. They both do.
Go nerds! =]]

[img]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/CamberXite/banners%20and%20Avies/New%20banners/n563777811_874641_4167-1.jpg[/img]
Banner made by CamberXite

mlola619
Teaching Eric Social Graces
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:44 pm
Location: Miami, FL
Contact:

Post by mlola619 »

December wrote:Guys.... Can I ask you all please in the nicest way to knock it off? You are all articulate and intelligent posters who know the difference between unimpassioned debate and badly-disguised impatience with one another. If other people's opinions annoy you, please don't post about them until you can control your annoyance. If you can't put your opinions tactfully enough that they're not going to annoy someone else (and yes, on a message board that means going the extra mile to put avoid extreme statements of your position!) please don't post them. Debate is interesting. Arguments are no fun. We can all tell which is which.

And remember......these characters mean a lot to people here. That doesn't mean you can't criticize them, but...do it nicely. Like you would if you were talking to someone about a friend of theirs. Like you'd want people to talk about your friends. SERIOUSLY....

Be nice. Or the Management will probably come close down this conversation.
AMEN!! jeez, i felt like i was going to get sick from all the bickering & slamming of characters- if you hate the characters so much, why are you signed onto a messageboard, obviously reading the books & giving crude remarks that will obviously upset alot of people?
Cause I've been waiting for a miracle, and I'm not leaving

babygirlk11
Settled in Forks
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:03 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Post by babygirlk11 »

greeneggs wrote:
luvedwardcullen wrote:Exactly. It isn't reality and Edward is a VAMPIRE....vampire....he should have his own set of rules
Yeah well I'm a veela, so now I have my own set of rules, too.

They involve introducing you to a roll of duct tape. I'm sure you two will be great friends.

MAYBE EVEN DESTINED TRUE LOVERS.

ouch and unnecessary.
Go nerds! =]]

[img]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/CamberXite/banners%20and%20Avies/New%20banners/n563777811_874641_4167-1.jpg[/img]
Banner made by CamberXite

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests