Gianna

Discussion on the various characters throughout the books.
Cocoa
Clarifying Base Running for Edward

Gianna

Post by Cocoa »

What are your thoughts on Gianna (aka Volturi receptionist, Vamp want to-be, and Demetri's Cuddle cakes)?
Tort_girl
Learning to Love Green

Post by Tort_girl »

personally I think the girl has serious issues. I mean working at a pychotic vampire army and wanting to join there 'love fest' I think she needs help. Then again everyone in the volturi needs help.
I don't want a banner I'd rather have bandwith
Sansa
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by Sansa »

I didn't specially like Gianna, but I think this character is quite interesting. She wanted what almost every human would fight for: eternity, and endless life. And so she didn't try to save Volturi's victims. Because she obsessed with an life without death, knowing that her life could end, too.
And I don't know why, but something tells me that she will appear in Breaking Dawn... as a vampire or, at least, we will know about what happened to her.
Tort_girl
Learning to Love Green

Post by Tort_girl »

maybe I never really thought about her being in breaking dawn.
but I really did not like her I think she acted like a robot
not that's a bad thing.
I wouldn't mind if the volturi ended up killing her.
I don't want a banner I'd rather have bandwith
.Rhian.
Settled in Forks

Post by .Rhian. »

yes its quite interesting to look at her, as i didnt before.

i think her character creeps me out a wee bit, mostly because she doesnt seem phased at all about all the people dieing, although of course that could be an act and eventually you can learn to put on a face.

what i find the most curious is how she managed to end up being the secretary?

i cant exactly immagine the volturi going down to the secretarial agency and being like, "hey does anyone want to be secretary to our secret vampire clan"
SkyeChayse
Learning to Love Green

Post by SkyeChayse »

Gianna was a surprise to me. I expected the whole Volturi army to be run by true vampires, including insignificant roles such as the recpetionist. When Stephenie wrote that Gianna's eyes were green and that she was "as every bit as human as [Bella] was" I was thrown completely off. So at first, I felt sorry for her becuase I figured she must not know that she was being employed by vampires. As a result, I gawked when Edward told Bella that Gianna knew exactly what was going on. How could anyone, mortal or immortal, willingly allow innocent people to walk into their death?! I just dont' understand how Gianna can watch 40 or so people waltz in day after day (or how ever many times the Volturi feed) and smile and wave at them like nothing was wrong. It's mind boggling to me. I definately think I"m beginning to better understand why the Cullen's are "vegetarians."

Gianna needs some serious help, but I do feel rather bad for her and I hope that her dream of wanting to become a vampire happens, not so that she can join in "lunch" but so that her efforts of staying calm and not freaking out everytime lunch is delivered, won't be wasted. And I'm curious to know if she will have any special gifts--just to be able to remain calm and act so innocent is a talent in my view.
~SKYE~
.Rhian.
Settled in Forks

Post by .Rhian. »

well it can probably be assumed she is a bit loopy :P
i hope there is a lil (even minute) reference to her in Breaking Dawn, just so that we know if she gets her dream or not. I don't really know if the volturi will turn her into a vampire, or if they do i couldnt see them keeping her, (rather turning her out onto the street) as they seem to be rather Elitist.. although of course that all depends if she has a special talent that could be of use to them.

And I'm curious to know if she will have any special gifts--just to be able to remain calm and act so innocent is a talent in my view.

i agree, i think her 'talent' will probably have something to do with not freaking out, or being a very good actress.
Lomesir22
Rapier Wit Hurts, Don't Make Me Stab You

Post by Lomesir22 »

I think Gianna is def. misguided to be so complacent with what the Volturi do and are, but I have to approach the situation objectively: she is yet another way to look at Bella.

What is so very sick about Gianna? She has accepted vampires and wants to be one--just like Bella. She's made her peace with the nastier aspects of vampirism--just like Bella. Perhaps if she had met the Cullens first she'd see things differently, but she didn't. She met the darkly romantic and exotic Volturi.

The Cullens aren't the most ideal people to aspire to be like. They're predatory and instinctive, and they rip animals throats out and drink their blood. The abstinence from human blood is the only thing that differentiates the Cullens from the Volturi. Vampires are vampires. In the grand scheme of things, the Cullens and co. are whozits, and I see no crime in wanting to be like the Volturi, the majority. Killing humans has served vampires well over the years, and Gianna has enough brains to see that.

(I think Gianna, Alcyone, and I need to have a nice long talk over coffee sometime.)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/lomesir/jaspershair.jpg[/img]
.Rhian.
Settled in Forks

Post by .Rhian. »

interesting point, with the similarities between Bella and Gianna. I agree in many ways they are very similar... you have changed my view now, looking at it from this perspective.

However, Bella wants to become a vampire not because of the immortality and other desirable traits (not solely because anyway) but because she wants to spend her life with Edward; a decision made out of love. Contrast that with Gianna, who doesnt appear to have any other reason for becoming a vampire, except for the desirable qualities.

The Volturi are probably some of the most civilised vampires, and they obviously can live among society well. It is understandable maybe that she would like to live among these very knowledgeable and influencial vampires. If she had met other vampires would she feel the same?

In comparison the idea that Bella is willing to become a vampire who craves blood all the time is an interesting point as the act of killing the animals is very gruesome also, not just like buying some lamb and cooking it. The main factor i think here is that Gianna wants to become a vampire who drinks HUMAN blood, but i suppose if you have lived with it for many years, eventually you would gain an understanding at some level.

We dont really see alot of what Bella thinks of the human-drinking vampires (not that i can remember), she doesnt like the idea obviously, bt she sees the Cullens more as normal people rather than vampires; acting with them as she does with everyone else.

Killing humans has served vampires well over the years, and Gianna has enough brains to see that.

i suppose that Gianna can also see that none of the Volturi seem to be in emotional turmoil about the killing of these people, which would also be a factor in support of becoming a vampire.

sorry if im rambling :)
Alcyone
Has More Hidden Talents Than Aro

Post by Alcyone »

(Make it a mocha and I'm there.)

I'll try to remain objective as well.

I like Lomesir's post. It's easy to see the parallels between Gianna and Bella. Both are wiling to sacrifice their humanity to become part of a greater species. But is it really? Greater strength, speed, an extra ability if you're part of the majority only leads to greater acts whether good or bad all depends on perspective. The only difference is Gianna decided to follow the natural order while Bella wants to be part of the aberrations--because, despite our love for the Cullens, that's what they are. Humans are their natural prey. Following the analogy Stephenie described for us, cows would see us as absolutely bloodthirsty, unnecessarily cruel, animalistic. If we weren't the prey, would we judge Gianna so harshly? I highly doubt it.

However, like Bella, she is turning her back on humanity. Only difference is Gianna has learned how to deal with her own species being eaten, something Bella will have to deal with if she plans on being a vampire. Not all vampires feed on animals and Bella will come into contact with many red-eyed vampires if and when she is turned. Gianna inured herself while human and, if one wants to be a vampire, that's the wisest course.

I can empathize with her because I live in a country with a high death rate due to violence. There was a shooting in the street running alongside my house. 60 shells were picked up by police later. I ducked on the floor of my room but wasn't terrified. Why? I'm used to it. I understand how awful it is. But I can no longer dredge up the emotions necessary because I've already distanced myself emotionally from it after years and years of hearing and seeing shootings happen. Gianna is simply used to the crowds brought in and it can no longer provoke enough emotion for her to care. She understands perfectly what is happening yet is used to it, something all vampires--or would-be vampires--need to be if they plan on staying sane. And she does her job, not robotically but efficiently. In another setting, I would compliment her on her secretarial skills, quick, polite while remaining professional. In this setting, the fact that she can perform her job dutifully and normally makes her is mind-boggling.

Then, there's the fact of what her history must have been like to have made her want to join the Volturi in the first place. Someone from a happy, warm childhood where they were well cared for would not want to turn down their families to be a vampire. Bella is not from such a family. She spent her childhood taking care of her mother, not the usual order of things. We all love Charlie but he won't win a prize for fatherhood very soon. Gianna's background must have been much worse.
<center>[url=http://www.thehostlibrary.com/thelibrary/viewuser.php?uid=2][img]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc43/alcyoneh/dk7.png[/img][/url][url=http://www.ramblingsandthoughts.com/twilight/viewuser.php?uid=1265][img]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc43/alcyoneh/dk14.png[/img][/url][url=http://alcyonev.livejournal.com/][img]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc43/alcyoneh/dk13.png[/img][/url]
Click icons for fun links!
Fawesome Batman icons by suzyx at LJ</center>