laurent?

Discussion on the various characters throughout the books.
Akira
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Akira » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:41 pm

It's pronounced Lor-ahnt.
Duct tape fixes everything except emotions; Jasper fixes those :lol:

lela_cullen
Wandering Through Town

Post by lela_cullen » Fri May 16, 2008 12:36 am

i thought there would be a possibility that he would replace edward in the cullen clan when he goes with bella. i have 2 questions...

Q1: Why do you think he was following Victoria's orders to come and kill bella? i mean is is succesion or what?

Q2: Did anyone else ever picture him as african american?

Esme echo
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Esme echo » Fri May 16, 2008 10:16 am

lela_cullen wrote:i thought there would be a possibility that he would replace edward in the cullen clan when he goes with bella.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this.
lela_cullen wrote:Q1: Why do you think he was following Victoria's orders to come and kill bella? i mean is is succesion or what?
Laurent was not supposed to kill Bella; in fact, he mentioned to her that Victoria would be peeved that he ruined her plans to torture Bella herself, and Laurent wasn't following Victoria's orders, he was doing her a favor. (NM, 239-41)
lela_cullen wrote:Q2: Did anyone else ever picture him as african american?
Stephenie described Laurent as "olive-toned beneath the typical pallor." (T, 376) Laurent is Black in the movie because Catherine wanted to add multi-cultural elements.

I am surprised that Irina felt so strongly about Laurent that she was contemplating reprisal against the werewolf pack. How did she find out they had killed him, anyway? Since Laurent didn't adhere to Irina's personal feeding standards, it seems like an unequal pairing. Perhaps he behaved differently in Denali than he did in Forks; maybe Irina didn't realize he really hadn't changed. I can't decide if SM intended us to believe Laurent had become a permanent part of Irina's life, or if he/they were just having a fling. Do vampires have flings?
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."

lela_cullen
Wandering Through Town

Post by lela_cullen » Fri May 16, 2008 3:18 pm

Thanks for cllearing that up for me :)
lela_cullen wrote:
i thought there would be a possibility that he would replace edward in the cullen clan when he goes with bella.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this
Well i assumed that edward and bella would eventually be a married couple on their own like Jasper and Rose. and when that happened i thought that laurent would take it upon himself to fill the gap left in the cullen clan. not REPLACE edward, but sort of take his slot to experience the "vegitarian" life.

MoonStarWithWings
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by MoonStarWithWings » Sat May 24, 2008 2:07 pm

Now this has been bugging me...
How can Laurent be black in the movie (I would like to point out that I am NOT racist at all)
Even the mexican vampires were described as looking Mexican, but having dead-white skin... so if a darker skinned person was changed, they'd still have white skin, surely?

It's been bugging me - does anyone know of a good reason why?

~MoonStar
[img]http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/MoonStarWithWings/MonVie.png[/img]
[color=cyan]SC Squared <3[/color]

[color=yellow]Team Edward[/color][color=orange]my brand of heroin.[/color]
[color=orange]Team Ian[/color][color=yellow]eight lives, eight planets and [i]then [/i]she found him.[/color]

Bella_S_Black
Often Mistaken for a Bear

Post by Bella_S_Black » Sat May 24, 2008 2:16 pm

I think Laurent is a coward. He hids behind stronger characters, sich as james and victoria, but is only looking out for himself. He went to Alaska sso he wouldn't have to get involved with the whole cullens and james situattion, but didn't even follow their rules properly. He then goes and backstabs against carlisle, by being about to kill bella.
I'm glad he was killed. :evil: :twisted:
[img]http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm318/twilightfan91/loveyoumore.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm318/twilightfan91/blackpacl.jpg[/img]
[color=pink]SC Squared![/color]

MoonStarWithWings
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by MoonStarWithWings » Sat May 24, 2008 2:18 pm

I think that he definately had to be killed, because the rest of his coven were going to be.
And it leaves Breaking Dawn open for a different enemy than the original three - Victoria, James and Laurent.
I'm hoping for the Volturi!

~MoonStar

[color=orange]Team Ian[/color][color=yellow]eight lives, eight planets and [i]then [/i]she found him.[/color]

Esme echo
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Esme echo » Sat May 24, 2008 3:17 pm

MoonStarWithWings wrote:Now this has been bugging me...
How can Laurent be black in the movie (I would like to point out that I am NOT racist at all). Even the mexican vampires were described as looking Mexican, but having dead-white skin... so if a darker skinned person was changed, they'd still have white skin, surely? It's been bugging me - does anyone know of a good reason why?
The director of the film wanted to add more multi-cultural elements to the film. Remember, the film is like a visual fanfic--it's not the book, it's an adaptation of the book. Stephenie was happy that the directors tried so hard to preserve the spirit of the book while making the movie.
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."

MoonStarWithWings
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by MoonStarWithWings » Sun May 25, 2008 11:20 am

Oh right!!
That's good... and it means I have an excuse not to go crazy when the lines from the book doesn't match up with the film!
Thanks Esme echo!!

~MoonStar

jane's_sister
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: in search of the place where i get red eyes... [actually germany]

Post by jane's_sister » Mon May 26, 2008 6:44 am

i can't say moch about him. i like his french accent, and i don't like the actor that plays him in the movie.
By the way, is he canadian or french? does anybody know that?
[img]http://nikkionline.la-impresion.org/supportbook/button1.jpg[/img]
[url]http://www.supportnikki.de.vu/[/url]

Frozen in time
Yearning forbidden wishes
Damned and Divine
Scars of my broken kisses
What will follow if tomorrow's blind?
My eternal night.
--Tarja Turunen

hm. what do these lyrics make me think of? *pondering*

people with twilight names, stick together!