What are you Reading

Off topic conversation. Please read posting guidelines. No games or instant message style postings are permitted.
Diamonds
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Diamonds »

daniiidarko wrote:the last book i read the The Lovely Bones and its one of my favorites.
its very good!
i read that a while ago. i thought it was good but not as great as everyone was making it out to be... the author has just released a new book though, almost moon or love or something or rather.. can't remember.

im currently reading the new Matthew Reilly book, Six Sacred Stones, which i got signed today.. yay! anyone else read his books? he's an australian author.

oh and i just finished, The Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald which i actually found quite sad and self-involved. good writing, but i don't see how its a classic.. plus the movie version of it was a letdown, mainly because of Gatsby's actor.

diamonds`` x
[b]"If you stay, I don't need heaven"[/b]
[img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/wav_adventure/run_away.jpg[/img]
[b]:: Co-Queen of Coolness and Comedy, reigning supreme self-indulgence over at the [i]assie[/i] thread ::[/b]
daniiidarko
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by daniiidarko »

Diamonds wrote:
oh and i just finished, The Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald which i actually found quite sad and self-involved. good writing, but i don't see how its a classic..
did you read it because you wanted to,
or because you had to for school?
because i actually read it because i wanted to a couple years ago, and got assigned to read it again.

i can see how its a classic, its not the best, but it is a very good story,
you just have to like that kind of literature that takes place in a differnt time/setting

same with to kill a mocking bird
which i also thought was a wonderful book.
[i]"he's so persistent, i like it."- erin
"that's because he's British."- dani
"i'd like to try me some of that."- erin."[/i]

[img]http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r141/gerardwayis_god/slyyytherin.jpg[/img]
Diamonds
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Diamonds »

daniiidarko wrote: did you read it because you wanted to,
or because you had to for school?
because i actually read it because i wanted to a couple years ago, and got assigned to read it again.

i can see how its a classic, its not the best, but it is a very good story,
you just have to like that kind of literature that takes place in a differnt time/setting

same with to kill a mocking bird
which i also thought was a wonderful book.
i didn't like to kill a mocking bird, but thats because it was assigned for school.

i read the great gatsby because i wanted to. and i ususally like other era literature.. i loved wuthering heights, for example. to me, the story seemed to totter on a bit too much into each of it's little side stories, and personal lives..

mind you, i was expecting a great love novel.. and i guess my idea of that is different to those who call it one. Gatsby seems so in love with an idea, and it just ends so sad for him.. i mean... he did all that, and he ends up alone, inevitably. Daisy is more inlove with herself than with either Jay or Tom, (and differently to Cathy in Wuthering Heights.. because even though she was the definition of selflove.. she did love Heathcliff). I don't understand Tom and Jordan properly.. as in their character/personality types.. the only character i did like was Nick (narrator).. that was insightful, and i'd say the books redeeming quality.

sorry, just wanted to share about that.. and nobody in my house cares for those opinions hehe. by the way, recomend any classics?

diamonds`` x
[b]"If you stay, I don't need heaven"[/b]
[img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/wav_adventure/run_away.jpg[/img]
[b]:: Co-Queen of Coolness and Comedy, reigning supreme self-indulgence over at the [i]assie[/i] thread ::[/b]
daniiidarko
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by daniiidarko »

well at least you chose to read it on your own.
yeah, i understand your point on why you didn't like gatsby then. i think all in all, its more of a guys book.
rather than a girls anyways.

hmm.classics.
the grapes of wrath was pretty good, but i am sure that you might have read it in school.

i have read so many books, i like almost forget everyhting that i have read. ha,

I am now reading the book on the Zodiac murder, it's pretty interesting.
[i]"he's so persistent, i like it."- erin
"that's because he's British."- dani
"i'd like to try me some of that."- erin."[/i]

[img]http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r141/gerardwayis_god/slyyytherin.jpg[/img]
Edward Cullen Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: Waiting on someone in an oddly specific Volvo... tehe! <3

Post by Edward Cullen Fan »

I just finished Betrayed, the sequel to Marked, the other day. It was SO good. I loved it. I'm dying to get my hands on a copy of the next one, but it won't be out till March. :cry: But that also means the month of my *drumroll* ...

18th birthday!!! hehe. :D

The other day I bought the first book in a trilogy called Darkangel. I'm not very far into it though, but so far it's pretty good. I also really, really, really want to read Bras and Broomsticks, but I have to wait till next month when I get my allowance. Oh, and I saw a book called The Vampire's Promise at Barnes and Noble the other day, but I'm not sure if I should get it or not. Then there's another book that seems pretty cool, called Fanboy and Goth Girl, but I have to wait to get that, too.

Ummm. Okay, this rant could go on forever, so I'll end it here. haha.
"In school they always said practice makes perfect. But then later they said that nobody's perfect so I stopped practicing." - Steven Wright
wellthat'slife
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by wellthat'slife »

I sort of went on a book frenzy and bought four new books! (which ia alot for me! seeing as I normally get my mum to borrow them from her libary)

Reading the unoffical autobiography of Lemony Snicket.

It amuses me.
Runs with..... SCISSORS
ouch! My eye!

Where she goes, he follows -Witch child, celia rees
cami1219

Post by cami1219 »

Right now I'm reading Masquerade, which is the sequel to Blue Bloods. It's pretty good so far, considering I am only on page 20 or so.

I just finished The last Mediator book last night. It was SO good. The whole series, I mean. I was up till 4AM reading it and when my mom told me to go to sleep cause it was so late(around 3ish) I just turned on my flashlight and finished reading it that way. (Which, I am aware, this does not exactly perform wonders for your eyesight- but if you gotta read, you gotta read. :wink:) I recommend this book to everyone ho likes a good out-of-the-ordinary love story. That's all of us, right?
alice_fan
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by alice_fan »

I'm reading two books for school...To Kill a Mockingbird which I love so far, (I'm halfway done.) And State of Fear by Michael Crichton this one is ok, not the best...
"Life is not about finding yourself, life is about creating yourself."
sorcery_of_the_heart

Post by sorcery_of_the_heart »

I just finished Extras... I wish I would have known sooner there was going to be a 4th book in the Uglies triology. I felt out of the loop a bit.
<center>The sweet caress of twilight
There's magic everywhere
And with all this romantic atmosphere
Disaster's in the air
[img]http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t23/OliviaJustineMay/lullabysong1.jpg[/img]
scriptique

Post by scriptique »

I have so many things lined up to read!

The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice is what I'm currently reading.

Next in line:
Dracula by Bram Stoker (yes I haven't read this classic yet *le gasp!*)
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (halfway through the book!)
Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (halway there too!)
[img]http://i23.tinypic.com/14kuqh5.jpg[/img]
Then you shot through the sky like a meteor...