Censorship of Press, Speech, + Other Media

Off topic conversation. Please read posting guidelines. No games or instant message style postings are permitted.

Do you approve of censorship?

Yes, with exceptions.
7
23%
Yes, with no exceptions.
0
No votes
No, with exceptions.
16
53%
No, without exceptions.
7
23%
 
Total votes: 30

The Leading Lady
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:04 am
Location: Reading at the riverside
Contact:

Censorship of Press, Speech, + Other Media

Post by The Leading Lady »

Book Banning and challenging are acts that still take place in the world today from Harry Potter (Occult! Satanism!) to The Chocolate War (Sexuality! Religion!) to Where's Waldo? (Nudity!)

Here's a place to post your opinions and respectfully discuss the opinions of others.

Also feel free to discuss the merits/demerits to censoring/changing/banning television, music, other forms of press, and theater.

Please always respect other, even if you do not agree with other, and try to keep things PG-13 max.

~Chelsea
We never look back. We have no time for regrets or second thoughts. If a plan goes awry we make another, if one weapon breaks in our hands we find a second. If the steps fall down before us we overleap them and go up.

~The Other Bolelyn Girl (Pg. 64-65)
Mallie
Giving Bella a Bandaid...again
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:48 am
Location: Following Edward in his many forms - book, internet, and movie

Post by Mallie »

I believe that I have the right to read and hear about whatever I choose to, and no matter how offensive something is it should still be my choice. I can understand parents trying to keep their children away from things, but once you are an adult.. if you want to read it, so be it.

People also have the right to have their opinions heard, be it through the media, books or otherwise. And censorship.. its so conservative, so narrowminded.. its like "I dont like what you're saying so I'm going to destroy it because I have the power and you do"

And that offends me.

Besides - I loves my Harry potter! And no one *cough* lauramallory *cough* should be able to stop me reading the books because they don't like whats in them (even though they themselves havent read the books!)
[url=http://www.myspace.com/fireandicepodcast][img]http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj226/Linding28/fireandicebanner.jpg[/img][/url]
We're also on iTunes - just search for 'Fire and Ice' or 'Twilight Podcast' :D
[url=http://www.destinysgateway.com][img]http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8333/dgrfaki8.gif[/img][/url]
stormracer155
Member Chat-aholics Anonymous
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:31 pm
Location: Under your bed.
Contact:

Post by stormracer155 »

I think that censorship of some things for minors is good - small children and even teenagers don't need to be exposed to some of the things in the media. Meaning pornography, excessive blood and gore, and other things along those lines. Adults should be able to decide whether or not they want to read or watch something - if they do want to view something, that is their decision, and the government should have no part in that decision.
alice/halee from the chatroom... woot.

[img]http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t226/spontaneous_caterpillar/mermaid.jpg[/img]
AnnaLouise
Settled in Forks
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:15 am
Location: My little school in the middle of nowhere
Contact:

Post by AnnaLouise »

I think it is up to parents to dictate what their children are exposed to.

More and more is being said about early exposure. Make a child aware of something early in their life, be fully honest and they are less likely to become curious and experiment later on in life.

There is no guide book that comes with a baby. Some people are going to be aweful parents and not teach their kid wrong right and the gray area. those kids were sort of doomed from the start anyway. I don't mean to offend anyone, it's just the truth of the matter.
[url=http://www.rivendaleschool.proboards37.com]feel like playing?[/url]
stormracer155
Member Chat-aholics Anonymous
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:31 pm
Location: Under your bed.
Contact:

Post by stormracer155 »

AnnaLouise wrote:I think it is up to parents to dictate what their children are exposed to.

More and more is being said about early exposure. Make a child aware of something early in their life, be fully honest and they are less likely to become curious and experiment later on in life.

There is no guide book that comes with a baby. Some people are going to be aweful parents and not teach their kid wrong right and the gray area. those kids were sort of doomed from the start anyway. I don't mean to offend anyone, it's just the truth of the matter.
Very well said. I completely agree.
alice/halee from the chatroom... woot.

[img]http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t226/spontaneous_caterpillar/mermaid.jpg[/img]
katherynne
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:41 am
Location: gallifrey

Post by katherynne »

There are some things that I think should be censored. Of course I disagree with a lot of literary censorship, same as I agree with a lot of governmental censorship of history. But let's be honest: Should, for example, child pornography be un-censored?
<center>
猿も木から落ちる.
</center>

it's not me, it's you.
AnnaLouise
Settled in Forks
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:15 am
Location: My little school in the middle of nowhere
Contact:

Post by AnnaLouise »

katherynne wrote:There are some things that I think should be censored. Of course I disagree with a lot of literary censorship, same as I agree with a lot of governmental censorship of history. But let's be honest: Should, for example, child pornography be un-censored?
child pornography is illegal to distribute and own because it is illegal to make. now i guess that prohibiting the production of it is a form of censorship. I am having trouble coming up with the argument i want to make. my philosophy professors taught me too well to think of counter argument and how you might argue against them and i am having trouble with that right now.

you win this one... for now.

that is the only exception i can think of though and that is on a basis of morality
[url=http://www.rivendaleschool.proboards37.com]feel like playing?[/url]
katherynne
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:41 am
Location: gallifrey

Post by katherynne »

AnnaLouise wrote:
katherynne wrote:There are some things that I think should be censored. Of course I disagree with a lot of literary censorship, same as I agree with a lot of governmental censorship of history. But let's be honest: Should, for example, child pornography be un-censored?
child pornography is illegal to distribute and own because it is illegal to make. now i guess that prohibiting the production of it is a form of censorship. I am having trouble coming up with the argument i want to make. my philosophy professors taught me too well to think of counter argument and how you might argue against them and i am having trouble with that right now.

you win this one... for now.

that is the only exception i can think of though and that is on a basis of morality
I base my arguement on Webster's definition of "censor":
Main Entry: censor
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): cen·sored; cen·sor·ing /'sen(t)-s&-ri[ng], 'sen(t)s-ri[ng]/: to examine in order to suppress or delete anything considered objectionable <censor>; also : to suppress or delete as objectionable <censor>

Following this definition, child pornography (we'll use that as our example) was censored prior to being made illegal, and the act of making its production illegal does, in fact, suppress objectionable material.

*puts on a party hat* I now demand you listen to Hanson!
<center>
猿も木から落ちる.
</center>

it's not me, it's you.
dileria
Settled in Forks
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:43 am
Location: The Dream World

Post by dileria »

stormracer155 wrote:I think that censorship of some things for minors is good - small children and even teenagers don't need to be exposed to some of the things in the media. Meaning pornography, excessive blood and gore, and other things along those lines. Adults should be able to decide whether or not they want to read or watch something - if they do want to view something, that is their decision, and the government should have no part in that decision.
I agree. Although I know that, until I am 18 and have no voice in the government until then, I think that cencoring somethings are going to greatly improve our main stream culture. I saw pornography being used as an example, but lets use the "ghetto" mindset that has been imposed on American teenagers and children. The reason that I want to use this mindset is because just last night, I heard a seven (7) year old girl going around stating whether something was "ghetto" or not. That was, and I will be brutally honest about it, that was not right. She just randomly went around to different people, and stated whether something was "ghetto" or not, although there wasn't even a ghetto setting. Now, I do know that there are ghettos almost everywhere, but that does not mean that a child who has a home in a nice neighborhood has to go around rapping alot of...disturbing lyrics that "bashed" gays, and exploited women. Both parties that were "bashed" against both have rights, no matter what any rapper says, although the ainstream culture has made it seem like they don't.

That is why I would rather see a censor on some media, such as rap music, and anything else that is directly effecting our mainstream culture. Now, I am not saying that we should be supporting movies that show anti-homosexuality and that exploit women, but what I am trying to say is that people should, in my own opinion, start to realize that how everyone is acting and speaking around kids, along with the added pressures of the media, is effecting the same people who will have to grow up and run our country.

Again, that is just my whole take on the censorship issue, and that I think that it is time for people to take a stand against these silly ideals.
These violent delights have violent ends And in their triumph die, like fire and powder, Which, as they kiss, consume.
Calianna
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:11 pm
Location: Chicago Area

Post by Calianna »

I am really pretty firm in my opinion that there should be no censorship. The only things that I think may be appropriate to censor are racist or derogatory comments, and even then it depends on the given situation to some extent.
[img]http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/latuacantante/forbidden-to-remember-terri.gif[/img]
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests