Was Carlisle testing Edward when he had to suck out the.....

General discussion about the Twilight Series Universe.
Dahlia_bone
Settled in Forks

Post by Dahlia_bone »

I think this is another example of fan over analysis (even though I thought the same thing) I don't think carlisle would do that to edward. Especially since stephenie didn't think there would be another story so she couldn't have known about the vote when she was writing edward's blodd drinking part.

rainydays_alanna
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by rainydays_alanna »

Dahlia_bone wrote:I think this is another example of fan over analysis (even though I thought the same thing) I don't think carlisle would do that to edward. Especially since stephenie didn't think there would be another story so she couldn't have known about the vote when she was writing edward's blodd drinking part.
this is true but maybe stephenie really did think of this as testing edward and showing him that he could do it, just to prove it to herself or something. i don't think this makes any sense but oh well.
"It's the safest time of day for us," he said, answering the unspoken question in my eyes. "The easiest time. But also the saddest, in a way...the end of another day, the return of the night. Darkness is so predictable, don't you think?" He smiled wistfully. " I like the night. Without the dark, we'd never see the stars."

Conzoni al Vento
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Conzoni al Vento »

Wow. I never thought about it that way!
I do think that that is a great possibility. Maybe someone should ask Stephenie if that was her intention.

I definately think that Carlisle knew that he could handle it though because he knew how much Edward loves bella and wouln't let him hurt her himself and have to deal with the pain of taking away her life. (plus, Bella was pretty injured to the point that even Edward's expertise wouldn't be sufficietntly enough. )
"Not to bring on the ire prematurely," he whispered, "but do you mind telling me what it is about this bed that you object to?"......."That's debateable," he disagreed. "This would be difficult on a couch."

~VMT Queen of Italy

StupidxLamb
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by StupidxLamb »

I don't think that Carlisle asked Edward to suck Bella's blood because he was skeptical and wanted to see how strong Edward was. However, the situation called for someone to suck her blood, and Carlisle had a duty to care for Bella the way that no one else knew how to. So, Carlisle had to trust Edward that he would be able to show self control and contain his thirst. Voila.
[i]Carlisle House[/i]►[u]Team Edward[/u]◄[b]TeamIan[/b] →Pattinism!
[img]http://s3.tinypic.com/o79401.jpg[/img]

Bloodlust
Lured by the scent

Post by Bloodlust »

Interesting analysis of that scene and pretty plausible, but I think it's unlikely. Perhaps there was a small bit of curiousity in Carlisle when he told Edward he had to be the one to do it, but mostly I think he just needed to take care of the head injury and Edward was the next candidate in line to suck out the venom. It just doesn't fly with me that Carlisle would be willing to risk Bella's life in the hands of Edward when she's his la tua cantante. Of course Carlisle could just have a lot of faith in Edward.
[i]Edward squeezed me gently. "I'm here." I drew a breath. That was true. Edward was here, with his arms around me. I could face anything as long as that was true. I squared my shoulders and walked forward to meet fate, with my destiny solidly at my side.[/i]

unbornbella
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by unbornbella »

i think it was wrong for carlisle to do that tp edward, but it deffinetely made him see clearly.
a lot of people say that twilight is their life and that they are the biggest twilighter. but im sorry to disappoint all of you when i say that NO ONE is more obsesed then me. im very sorry to break it to all of you twihards, but i am <u>the</u> twihard. i would die without the twilight saga. i am the #1 tl/nm/ec/ fan

happy_alice
Fishing with Charlie

Post by happy_alice »

carlisle wasn't testing edward- he made him suck out the venom because he's never tasted human blood before, and he doesn't want it to happen. edward already has, so he did it.
[img]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk130/lalaith913/twilightbanners/cullen3.jpg[/img]
Banner by lalaith413. Thanks!

~winnie~

prinsesa
Learning to Love Green

Post by prinsesa »

I never thought of that before but now that you said it.. it got me thinking.

The venom was moving pretty quickly and it was causing Bella too much pain already, Carlisle was focusing on the stitches so he probably didn't have the time to suck the venom back out. I mean, medically speaking, they have to move really quickly so no more thinking about who does what at that point.

HOWEVER. I also think that Carlisle really didn't want to interfere with Bella and Edward especially regarding the topic of her becoming a vampire. I always knew he wanted Bella to be a part of their family but it was still Edward's decision since he was Bella's soulmate. And besides, we've all seen how Edward became strong and more disciplined about himself with Bella, so maybe the reason Carlisle asked Edward to do it was because he KNEW he could do it.
<center>
[size=125][b]{ yes,youare[i]exactly[/i]mybrandofheroin }[/b][/size]
i'm intoxicated by your very presence, Edward.
</center>

xoxosu
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by xoxosu »

Like everybody's been saying, I've never thought about this before. Bravo on bringing it up! As for Carlisle testing Edward, I don't think he was testing Edward persay. I mean, I think it's safe to say that Edward under estimates his control A LOT. He's made so many strides to the point that Bella's lure of the blood doesn't bother him half as much as it used to. I'm sure Carlisle knew about Edward's control and let him commit to the task because he knew Edward could handle it. So, it wasn't a test persay, more an act of trust.
These violent delights have violent ends
And in their triump die, like fire and power; Which, as they kiss, consume.

happy_alice
Fishing with Charlie

Post by happy_alice »

prinsesa: ya, i think maybe you're right. i was always confused of why carlisle didn't just do it.....and my answer was the only one i came up with. but, maybe he was focusing on saving her bones. that would be a great question to ask stephenie.
[img]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk130/lalaith913/twilightbanners/cullen3.jpg[/img]
Banner by lalaith413. Thanks!

~winnie~