SM - Why say he was a vampire on the cover?

General discussion about the Twilight Series Universe.

SM - Why say he was a vampire on the cover?

Post by Guest »

she shouldn't have put that edward was a vampire on the back cover of the book because bella trying to figure what edward is gets kind od boring since u already know
sayingsorry2006
Settled in Forks

Post by sayingsorry2006 »

I don't think the book was boring at all, but it would have been nice if we would've been able to try and guess along with Bella. I think they put it on the cover so that people would know that it was a vampire book and not just your everyday romance.
pelirroja

Post by pelirroja »

I could be wrong, but I don't believe authors have complete control on marketing.

So whereas Stephenie can control what's in the book I don't know that she can control what the book jacket specifically says, or an in store display, or a Amazon.com advertisement.
aKissAtTwilight
Settled in Forks

Post by aKissAtTwilight »

personally for me it saying that there was a vampire in it is what got me to want to read it!! if it didnt have that freakishly awesome quote on the back then i probably wouldnt have gotton it!
ArdaSilverlace
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by ArdaSilverlace »

That is a bit of a spoiler now that you mention it... But I would've read Twilight even if it hadn't mentioned the vampire bit, because I'm such a pathetic sucker for romance. :D
Alda Rethe
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Cover Pages

Post by Alda Rethe »

aKissAtTwilight wrote:personally for me it saying that there was a vampire in it is what got me to want to read it!! if it didnt have that freakishly awesome quote on the back then i probably wouldnt have gotton it!

I'm with you on this one! Not that I'm a vampire fanatic, but it did present an interesting situation. (I love romances too!) I probably wouldn't have read it though if it weren't for my sister. She insisted it was awesome--good thing I believe her and read it!
Diana
Settled in Forks

Post by Diana »

It would have been fun to guess along with Bella, but I think the book still carried itself just fine with the secret being already revealed. I still felt myself forgetting at times that I already knew what he was and getting caught up in his mystery along with Bella.
xBellax
Settled in Forks

Post by xBellax »

I dont know. I think the mentioning he was a vampire sucked readers in even more. It was a bit of a spoiler yes but I think it fitted.
[color=white]~Waiting for the Twilight of my life~[/color]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/DarkMagicianGrl/uiuu.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/DarkMagicianGrl/bba96071.gif[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/DarkMagicianGrl/th23.gif[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/DarkMagicianGrl/th94bb102a.png[/img]
cheeto
Settled in Forks

Re

Post by cheeto »

I personally didn't think of it as a proble. Sure, I didn't actually realise she was trying hard to figure out what he was. I was thinking about the **love**. I know it's really cheesy, but I was. But I still argee it was a bit of a spoiler.
Stephenie
By the way...I'm the author.

Post by Stephenie »

pelirroja wrote:I could be wrong, but I don't believe authors have complete control on marketing.

So whereas Stephenie can control what's in the book I don't know that she can control what the book jacket specifically says, or an in store display, or a Amazon.com advertisement.

Pelirroja is right. I only have control over what is between the covers--they can put anything they want on the jacket. Sigh.

I didn't want to have the word "vampire" on the cover, but I know why they did it. When I gave out copies to my friends (Ones I just printed up and stuck in binders), I didn't tell them what he was. For me, it really messed up the first six chapters to have the vampire thing out there.

On the other hand, most of the people who picked up the book did so because of the fact that it was about vampires. So I can't complain. It was a hook, and the publisher utilized it to market the book. It worked out pretty well.

I just saw the New Moon jacket copy yesterday, and I was surprised to see that it gives nothing away. Surprised, and pleased. No more freebies on the secrets!

Of course, we all know that some punk is going to get his/her hands on the galley and then ruin all the suspense. I suggest that you avoid spoilers if possible. New Moon will be a lot more fun without them.