Page 10 of 15

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:33 pm
by Nods and Smiles
Moonflower wrote:WARNING!!!! ECLIPSE MATERIAL!!!!!! IF YOU HAVEN'T READ ECLIPSE AND DON'T WANT TO READ SOMETHING THAT MIGHT SPOIL SOMETHING DO NOT READ!!!!!!


I also just rememberd another reason that I think proves Edward understands. In Eclipse, when Bell and Edward are talking about the big fight, and Bella asks him to stay, and he agrees. Later when he's talking to Jacob, Jacob says that he'd never ever do that. And Edward says that he's only doing it because Bella reminds him of what it did to her when he left before, and he says that he'll never forgive himself for that. Which brings me to one of my fave quotes... the quote is umm... *pages through Eclipse again and again* I can't find it so I'll have to try to do it from memory. Okay... I think it's "I know my limits. It was so horrible that last time and I just can't stand it if you leave again" I think at least the last part is right.. I'll post again if I can find the actual quote...
Good point...hmmm, see I voted no at first. But many of these posts are making me rethink my decision. I think he didn't understand at first but now he's begun (of has) grasped all that Bella was/is going through.

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:14 pm
by Forks
I changed my mind... I dont think he fully understands how Bella was... go back and read on page 610... Here is some of the conversation between Bella and Edward:

Bella: "I'm sorry you had to see that... That wasn't fair to you."
He put his hands on either side of my face.
Edward: "Bella... are you sure? Did you make the right choice? I've never seen you in so much pain - " His voice broke on the last word.
But I had know worse pain.
I touched his lips. "Yes."
Edward: "I don't know..." His brow creased. "If it hurts you so much, how can it possibly be the right thing for you?"
Bella: "Edward, I know who I can't live without."

I do think Edward saw a little glimpse of what Bella felt while he was away, but not the full extent of it... therefore, I don't think he fully understands or the above conversation would never have happen'd...

Am I right???

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:17 pm
by StupidxLamb
LunarEc;ipse wrote:
*so_jealous_of_bella* wrote:
where edward at least knew that bella would always love him and would take him back.
size=18][/size]



Well, again, Edward was thinking that Bella was having a normal life and with that included, he thought that Bella could have had a new guy in her life. And with that he knew he couldn't come back. And on top of that, he had his promise that he intended to keep.
Exactly!! Edward left because he thought Bella would be not only safer, but happier, in the end. So throughout those months of his absence, he thought that Bella had moved on. I'm not so sure that he really expected her to take him back at the drop of a hat if he came back.

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:22 pm
by Xx_Twilight_BE_xx
yes, i'm pretty sure edward realizes the pain bella went through.He was only doing what he thought would be best for her at the time and when alice said she had jumped from the cliff and he though she killed herself, that was a big eyeopener.we all saw how he was ready to give himself up to be with her at the end of new moon. He realizes so much that he has become a little over protective but in some cases, that might be a good thing. She knows and understands he never meant to really hurt her only to help her. that hurtle made them closer I think, and it helped bella realize who she wanted to spend the rest of her life with when it comes to jake and edward!

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:41 pm
by kdenae
StupidxLamb wrote: Exactly!! Edward left because he thought Bella would be not only safer, but happier, in the end. So throughout those months of his absence, he thought that Bella had moved on. I'm not so sure that he really expected her to take him back at the drop of a hat if he came back.
"Before you, Bella, my life was a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars - points of light and reason... And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn't see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason for anything"

'I'm here, and I love you. I have always loved you, and I will always love you. I was thinking of you, seeing your face in my mind, every second that I was away. When I told you I didn't want you, it was the blackest kind of blasphemy."

'I was already past trying to live through one week at a time, or even on day. I was fighting to make it through a single hour. It was only a matter of time - and not much of it- before I showed up at your window and begged you to take me back. I'd be happy to beg now, if you'd like that.'

I'm thinking now more than I ever did that Edward definatly realized how deep his love for Bella went while he was away. And I agree that he thought he was doing the right thing and that she would eventually move on and be happy. The last quote really signifies it for me. I think he's telling her he had no idea how she would receive him when he came back...but that he had to come back and at least try - or beg! :D

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:17 pm
by shammakins
Forks wrote:Bella: "I'm sorry you had to see that... That wasn't fair to you."
He put his hands on either side of my face.
Edward: "Bella... are you sure? Did you make the right choice? I've never seen you in so much pain - " His voice broke on the last word.
But I had know worse pain.
I touched his lips. "Yes."
Edward: "I don't know..." His brow creased. "If it hurts you so much, how can it possibly be the right thing for you?"
Bella: "Edward, I know who I can't live without."

I do think Edward saw a little glimpse of what Bella felt while he was away, but not the full extent of it... therefore, I don't think he fully understands or the above conversation would never have happen'd...

Am I right???
Okay. I've got to agree with you on that one, I do definitely see your point.
At the same time, I think he can recognize that he did cause her pain, just maybe not realizing the full extent of it.

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:51 pm
by irunwithvampires
That's right, I agree. I think Edward knows what Bella went through...through the minds of everyone else and he understands it...but he hasn't actually seen it for himself, so I believe it's a little different.

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:16 am
by Emily_Jane_Cullen
I don't think anyone is ever going to fully understand exactly what she went through or how she felt. No one who saw her go through the pain had ever experienced anything like that, at least that we know of, and even though they watched her suffering, they weren't feeling the pain themselves. They may have sympathized, or comforted her like Jacob did, but they won't ever understand completlely, so not Edward.

He has seen her in the minds of others from that period, but he didn't feel it either. So my answer is too a certain point, but not completly 100%

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:18 am
by Moonflower
Hehe. I'm glad I did. Oh how I just love getting people to see my way!! I really want to find that quote!!!

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:13 am
by StupidxLamb
I think that Edward finds out more and more about Bella's life in New Moon. He remembers his pain, but he and Bella always think their feelings are stronger than the other's. Edward compares his love for Bella to a forest to one small tree. And Bella can't imagine Edward having felt half the pain she felt when he left. They don't give each other enough credit, or themselves for that matter. They don't think they're good enough for the other, which just makes them even more perfect for each other.