Does Edward understnd?

General discussion about the Twilight Series Universe.

Does Edward understand Bella's pain?

yes
59%
no
41%

Total votes: 300

Kissa
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by Kissa »

tricia wrote:
Kissa01 wrote:
so Edward had some of the pain Bella had, with the hole and everything... but I can't really figure out where the difference would be..... but it's definitelly there!!

I had typed this before some where and i got a lot of people who completely disagreed.. but i think the difference in the pain they felt is that Edwards pain was self inflicted.

If someone else is hurting you somehow you can dig down and find the strength to help you survive, but if the pain is all your own doing, and you have the power to end the pain that strength just isn't there.

What if Edward had been gone another month? Bella at some point would have kissed Jacob. There would have been the beginning of a relationship. I don't think for one second Bella would ever have been complete without Edward but she was coping. She was trying to put a life together. But Edward was struggling to keep his distance by the hour. He had curled up into a ball and was barely surviving.

wow, I think that's exactly my point, I just had some difficulties wording it... :)

I know a lot of people don't feel sorry for Edward at all, because he did this himself. but I feel really sorry for him! he honestly thought it was for the best for Bella, and it turned out all bad...

just like tricia said, Edward is in pain too, it's just that his pain is self inflicted!!

(thanks tricia, one less thing for me to muse on...! =) )
[url=http://www.ramblingsandthoughts.com/twilight/viewstory.php?sid=252][img]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q89/Kissa001/Banner-avie/KissaandCocoa.jpg[/img][/url]

Hopelessromantic__101
Settled in Forks

Post by Hopelessromantic__101 »

I think that edward totally and completely understood what bella went through (and was possibly even more anguished than she was) but didn't get that until they were walking to his house that amazazing night. Does that make sense? he felt what she felt bu he didn't understand that she felt that strongly yet.
"I love you"
"You are my life now"

heart wrencher!!!

la tua cantante
Bella's Casting Agent and Stunt Double
Location: falling down in a little forest of a too sunny forks

Post by la tua cantante »

Hopelessromantic__101 wrote:I think that edward totally and completely understood what bella went through (and was possibly even more anguished than she was) but didn't get that until they were walking to his house that amazazing night. Does that make sense? he felt what she felt bu he didn't understand that she felt that strongly yet.

yes, and that s why he was so silent and carful while in her room, he knew he deserved to be told off or something like that, because he had ignored completelly the way she really felt and finally realiezed and felt guilty for it

he has realized he s not the only one who has the right to love with inhuman intensity
[img]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/Edward_Cullen_album/Fan%20trailer%20LUNA%20NUEVA/BEAUTYcopia.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/latuacantante/duh.gif[/img]
[size=150][color=CornflowerBlue]PROUD MEMBER OF THE MUFFIN CULLEN FAMILY [/size][/color]

Ellabelle
Event Planner Extraordinaire

Post by Ellabelle »

I think one thing we're all forgetting is how tortured Edward was when he thought for a few hours that Bella may or may not love him anymore. I'm referring to while he was waiting for Bella to wake up and then their conversation afterward. But here's the deal: Bella lived that everyday for over 4 MONTHS! There is no comparison. She thought Edward didn't want her, that she wasn't worthy of him. She forced herself to keep on living because she had promised Edward that she wouldn't be foolish. Of course she ends up breaking that promise, but that was to perserve Edward's voice in her mind. Bella's always risked her life for Edward even in Twilight. She cares just as deeply for him as Edward does for her, but the difference is that she felt her love was unworthy--that Edward no longer wanted it. No curling up into a ball is going to compare with that. Edward always knew and had the option to go back to Bella. Bella didn't--she couldn't have found Edward if she wanted to. He not only left, but took away all her dreams for a new life with the Cullens. And he insulted her by saying that she would be able to forget him. Not only did he convince her that he longer wanted her, but he misunderstood the intensity of her feelings for him. OUCH! It was a total slap in the face.
"Frankly, My Dear, I Don't Give a Damn."

Be My Escape
Totally Inside Jacob's Mind
Location: Pushing Amor out of the way so I can Play Pinball with Jacob

Post by Be My Escape »

I think that the Edward has an understanding of what Bella went thorugh but it will never be complete. And the same goes for Bella understanding what Edward went through. Yes Bella went through a tormented existence for several months but so did Edward. I understand Edward had a choice to come back but his self imposed exile was still painful and he promised he wouldn't come back.
[img]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj45/jenlam26/engagment.png[/img]

Rachel08
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by Rachel08 »

I believe that Edward did understand what kind of pain he put Bella through. And I agree that he was in a lot of pain as well. However, I don't think either of them felt more pain than the other. I think if that was the case it would mean one of them cared more about their relationship than the other. And I really dont want to believe that, that could be true. Edward cared enough to leave her, even though he loved her, and yes, in the end it was probably the wrong thing to do, but it showed us that even someone described as "perfect" can make mistakes. Bella cared enough to not forget him and to forgive him when he came back, and dont forget, to save his life.

Kissa

Post by Kissa »

I think you're right. neither one of them cares more for their relationship than the other. how could they? then Twilight/New Moon wouldn't really have been the same... what makes these books so special is the love between Edward and Bella, how much they care for the other, so what would it be like if for example Edward DID care more for Bella? the books wouldn't have been the same, and they wouldn't have been as popular...

and, of course... I wouldn't love them as much as I do!!
[url=http://www.ramblingsandthoughts.com/twilight/viewstory.php?sid=252][img]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q89/Kissa001/Banner-avie/KissaandCocoa.jpg[/img][/url]

Wolbachia

Post by Wolbachia »

I think that they both went through the same amount of pain. But because Bella was in a zombie-state, perhaps she didn't even realize that she was so terribly hurt some of the time. At least I would hope so, because if that wasn't happening then she would of done just what Edward did: basically curl into a ball and let the misery have her. So, even though they both had big ol' holes torn through their chests, I think that Edward might have felt a little more pain than Bella, even though they both went through the same amount. Yeah, I think that works. Right?
<center>
Eat the fruit and you can have the desires of your heart. It's not evil, it's noble and good. You'll be praised for it.

And it's delicious.</center>

Kissa

Post by Kissa »

Wolbachia wrote:I think that they both went through the same amount of pain. But because Bella was in a zombie-state, perhaps she didn't even realize that she was so terribly hurt some of the time. At least I would hope so, because if that wasn't happening then she would of done just what Edward did: basically curl into a ball and let the misery have her. So, even though they both had big ol' holes torn through their chests, I think that Edward might have felt a little more pain than Bella, even though they both went through the same amount. Yeah, I think that works. Right?

nah, not so much... I don't think we're ever going to get to the end of this discussion, or that we're going to find the solution. but, I think that even though Bella was in the zombie-state, she felt pain! just think about the first week, how she cried and cried! and after that, when Renee came and were going to take her to Florida, Bella threw a fit! and Charlie told Alice Bella had never been one for tantrums as a child. Bella felt a tremendous amount of pain, but after a while she learned to hide it away, deep inside, because everytime she thought of it, the hole in her chest felt bigger. I've already said what I think about Bella and Edward and the pain they both were in, so I'm not going to repeat myself. it's just that I really don't want people to underestimate Bella's (or Edward's) pain!! :?

*DramaQueen*
Wandering Through Town

Post by *DramaQueen* »

Kittychan wrote:Edward completely understands her pain because he has gone through the same thing.Because he loves her as much as she does.Edward was in the worse posible state of mind...When he left Bella he completely broke down,,He heartache was horrible it was such that it became a physical pain....

Remenber the outake on Rosalie's news....He was a train wrecked....he was in a catatonic state and depressed in the worse posible way imaginable...

Edward and Bella's love borders on insanity.....And when he understood she felt the same way (as in CRAZY-I-NEED-YOU-OR-I-DIE way)he completely understood her pain....It was obvious that the moment they became separated she died the same way he did.....Awwww!!!!! Ain't that wonderfull!!!

exactly, besides Stephanie emphasizes Bella's pain more then she does Edwards becase this is Bella's side of the story. I think once we see Edwards side of the story we'll see how much pain Edward was in. If he was human he probably would've died whereas Bella at least forced herself to go on for Charlie, and her mom.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/africanprincess/Myspace/Stupidvolvoowner.gif[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/africanprincess/Myspace/EmmettCullen.jpg[/img]