Does Edward understnd?

General discussion about the Twilight Series Universe.

Does Edward understand Bella's pain?

yes
59%
no
41%

Total votes: 300

LunarEc;ipse
Vampire Bartender

Post by LunarEc;ipse »

This is something that I think will be answered in Eclipse. But for me, he does understand. For those of you who think he doesn't, we will see.
[img]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c43/Summerwind159/themanyfacesofJack.jpg[/img]

Somethings you can't grow out of.............

No, the ";" in my name is not a typo.

"But you see, just because we've been dealt a certain hand, it doesn't mean we can't choose to rise above it - to conquer the boundaries of a destiny that none of us wanted.." Edward Cullen, pg. 307, Twilight
[img]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c43/Summerwind159/Carlisle-1.jpg[/img]

*so_jealous_of_bella*
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by *so_jealous_of_bella* »

Bella wrote:I think he does to a certain extent...he saw how much pain she was in but he can't read her mind so maybe not all the way.

that's a good point, Bella. i think if edward could read bella's mind, he would understand completely. but he can't, so he doesn't. i think he will get it in time, but it will take a while.

but i think it was partly bella's fault for not getting a little mad when he came back. to me, it said "go ahead, take me for granted, i wont get mad at you . you can leave and come whenever you feel like it. i don't have any feelings." (but is that just me??)

this is kind of off topic, but it was so so so sad when bella said that him leaving was worse than being killed. and he look tortured.

i felt like jumpling into the book to give him a hug, because i could just picture that look.aaaahhhhh. :cry:

am i crazy????
"I will explain this once and for all. Edward and Bella are meant for each other because they are both maniputaing, horrible people. Jacob and I, on the other hand are not. It's why we are perfect for each other." -Penny

la tua cantante
Bella's Casting Agent and Stunt Double
Location: falling down in a little forest of a too sunny forks

perfect words!

Post by la tua cantante »

*so_jealous_of_bella* wrote:
Bella wrote:I think he does to a certain extent...he saw how much pain she was in but he can't read her mind so maybe not all the way.

that's a good point, Bella. i think if edward could read bella's mind, he would understand completely. but he can't, so he doesn't. i think he will get it in time, but it will take a while.

but i think it was partly bella's fault for not getting a little mad when he came back. to me, it said "go ahead, take me for granted, i wont get mad at you . you can leave and come whenever you feel like it. i don't have any feelings." (but is that just me??)

this is kind of off topic, but it was so so so sad when bella said that him leaving was worse than being killed. and he look tortured.

i felt like jumpling into the book to give him a hug, because i could just picture that look.aaaahhhhh. :cry:

am i crazy????

perfect words!!!
[img]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/Edward_Cullen_album/Fan%20trailer%20LUNA%20NUEVA/BEAUTYcopia.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/latuacantante/duh.gif[/img]
[size=150][color=CornflowerBlue]PROUD MEMBER OF THE MUFFIN CULLEN FAMILY [/size][/color]

EdwardsGirl
Hanging Up on Jessica
Location: *Reading Pride and Prejudice...while anxiously waiting for Breaking Dawn.*

Post by EdwardsGirl »

Yea...like most of you have already said. Edward understands Bella's pain...to a certain extent.

Cause he has been able to read people's minds forever! But now, here is this girl who he cannot just read her mind and know what is going on...it's pretty new for him. Having to rely on facial expressions...

I make no sense.
GoD BleSs!
[img]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h282/malaz202/theRECW2copy.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/RensFeathers/Random/EdsPeople.gif[/img]

Thank You Feathers and Malaz! You guys rock!

silly_bella
Experimenting with Rattle Snake Venom
Location: Driving through the mountains with Edward. He was hitching after Bronzehairedgirl kicked him out.

Post by silly_bella »

I think there aer a number of things that play into Bella's lack of anger and quick acceptance.

1. Originally, she didn't expect him to stay. Remeber, when she went to Volterra, she was going to save his life. She had no expectations at that point of being with Edward. She wasn't agry at him then because she wanted him to stay as long as possible. She didn't want her anger to drove him away any sooner. I suspect she also figured that he wouldn't really care about her anger.

2. Also, she was exhausted. It's hard to work up a good fury when you realy need to sleep.

3. When they arrived back in Forks, Charlie was plenty mad for everyone. Bella still thought Edward would be leaving.

4. Once Bella clued in to how Edward really felt, she was so relieved. She wasn't going to have to go back to living as a shell of a person instead of a whole human being. She knew that Edward would be staying and that Edward truly loved her.

5. She realy hasn't had time to replenish herself after such an exhausting experience. Also, she's still in a little bit of shock, which numbs your feelings.

6. Charlie is furious at Edward, therefore, Bella's immediate focus, naturally, is to defuse Charlie's anger and defend Edward. Therefore, her anger is pushed back. It doesn't mean it isn't there.

7. I suspect that Bella will be able to address her feelings about Edward's choices in Eclipse. Unlike Edward and Jacob, (who both have some anger issues -- Edward has even stated this, and if that weren't enough, ask Emmett about the TV), Bella tends to truly think about what she says before she says it. The more important it is, the more likely she'll spend some time developing what she wants to say. Once she gets some rest, gets over the relief that Edward is back and staying, and deals with defusing Charlie's anger, I suspect that Edward will smart a bit from what she has to say. Particularly since she seems to have new confidence as evidenced by her calling for his family to vote about her mortality. I really think we'll see this in Eclipse.

Kissa
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by Kissa »

I totally agree with you silly_bella. You have a lot of good points in that last post.

I do think they both were in a lot of pain, maybe they also felt the same amount of pain, but I don't think it was the same kind. Bella's pain was different from Edward's (as a lot of you have already said), because she thought he didn't love her anymore - she had actually kind of expected it. It made perfectly sense to her, cus how could someone as perfect as Edward love her? Normal, accident prone, human, average Bella. Remember that Bella doesn't think a lot of herself, she considered herself lucky that someone like Edward would be with someone like her, could love someone like her.
Edward, on the other hand, knew Bella still loved him. He was able to see that in her eyes, the same time she was looking into his, seeing only the cold in his eyes, something she'd never seen before. She asks him straight out;

"You ... don't ... want me?" I tried out the words, confused by the way they sounded, placed in that order.
"No."
I stared, uncomprehending, into his eyes. He stared back without apology. His eyes were like topaz - hard and clear and very deep. I felt like I could see into them for miles and miles, yet nowhere in their bottomless depths could I see a contradiction to the word he'd spoken.

New Moon, p. 69-70

This is what Bella really has to go through! I know it was probably hard for Edward as well, having to hurt her that way, but at least he knew she still loved him.

Don't misunderstand though, I LOVE Edward! I just don't think they went through the same kind of pain...

If anyone manages to make any sense out of this.... well, then you're good! At least I know what I mean... :P
[url=http://www.ramblingsandthoughts.com/twilight/viewstory.php?sid=252][img]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q89/Kissa001/Banner-avie/KissaandCocoa.jpg[/img][/url]

i N S A N i T Y
Wandering Through Town

Post by i N S A N i T Y »

I though no at first, but at the end of New Moon, Edward says something along the lines of "When i wasnt activly tracking, i more or less curled up into a ball on d let the misery have me." Coming from someone who doesnt wear his emotions on his sleeve, i think thats saying quite a bit.

I think that when he first left her, he though she would have been maybe not happier at first, but eventually have realized that what he did was the right thing to do. But when he met up with her again, i think he realized how badly he really hurt her.....

I hope that made sence....if not...BLAME IT ON THE SLEEP DEPRIVATION!! Lol

lani
Wandering Through Town

Post by lani »

sleep dep-no the feelig, actually i kind of live with it. were like this *holds up crossed fingers* anyway i think he can only understand to a degree. because a hes a guy and b bella isnt lik other ppl-(sorry im on msn im sortening). because he cant hear her thoughts which tells us that, and also she says it ver and over. she went thruoh horrible pain, and edward reacted diffrently. i think he can sympathise, but not entirly understand, like he'll always be wondering wat it was lik for her
"i think my feet are broken"

Kissa
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by Kissa »

yeah, he'll probably always wonder how it was for Bella, but at the same time I think Bella is going to wonder about how Edward felt. I really do think they both were in pain, and LOTS of it... but not the same kind. but I have changed my views a little, as I've read the book over and over and over again, and I think they may have had the same amount of pain now... but I still don't think it was the same!
"(...) My heart hasn't beat in almost ninety years, but this was different. It was like my heart was gone - like I was hollow. Like I'd left everything that was inside me here with you."
"That's funny," I muttered.
He arched one perfect eyebrow. "Funny?" " I meant strange - I thought it was just me. (...)"

so Edward had some of the pain Bella had, with the hole and everything... but I can't really figure out where the difference would be..... but it's definitelly there!!
[url=http://www.ramblingsandthoughts.com/twilight/viewstory.php?sid=252][img]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q89/Kissa001/Banner-avie/KissaandCocoa.jpg[/img][/url]

tricia
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by tricia »

Kissa01 wrote:
so Edward had some of the pain Bella had, with the hole and everything... but I can't really figure out where the difference would be..... but it's definitelly there!!

I had typed this before some where and i got a lot of people who completely disagreed.. but i think the difference in the pain they felt is that Edwards pain was self inflicted.

If someone else is hurting you somehow you can dig down and find the strength to help you survive, but if the pain is all your own doing, and you have the power to end the pain that strength just isn't there.

What if Edward had been gone another month? Bella at some point would have kissed Jacob. There would have been the beginning of a relationship. I don't think for one second Bella would ever have been complete without Edward but she was coping. She was trying to put a life together. But Edward was struggling to keep his distance by the hour. He had curled up into a ball and was barely surviving.
"I may gain forgiveness, but that doesn't let me escape the consequences."

"The Course of true love never did run smooth." - Lysander, Midsummer Night's Dream