Does Edward understnd?

General discussion about the Twilight Series Universe.

Does Edward understand Bella's pain?

yes
59%
no
41%

Total votes: 300

*so_jealous_of_bella*
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by *so_jealous_of_bella* »

Taxi wrote:I think that he understands what Bella went through completely. Edward needed Bella as much as she needed him. If anything, I'd say that he was in worse shape than Bella. He'd gone ninety years devoid of anyone that he loved with as much passion as he did with Bella, and then he ripped himself away.

Edward seemed pretty set on letting Bella live a normal, human life. He loved her that much. I don't see how he could not understand. Both were pained by the same thing- separation. I'm fairly certain that he could empathize on some level with what Bella went through, having gone through the same thing himself.

i agree that edward went through a lot of pain himself, but it was VERY different.

edward at least knew that bella would always love him and he could go back to her whenever he gave up, but it wasn't the same fo bella.

all bella knew was that the love of her life didn't love her. and that she would never see him again.

basically, what i'm trying to say is that edward's pain was caused by himself, when bella's was thrown at her.
so, i think that it would be harder to deal with something that someone else inflicted, instead of something self-inflicted.

because of that, i think he understands what he went through, so he sort of understand what he put bella through.

but i think bella's pain was worse (because she was left)so edward doesn't fully understand it.
"I will explain this once and for all. Edward and Bella are meant for each other because they are both maniputaing, horrible people. Jacob and I, on the other hand are not. It's why we are perfect for each other." -Penny

LunarEc;ipse
Vampire Bartender

Post by LunarEc;ipse »

[quote=*so_jealous_of_bella*]
but i think bella's pain was worse (because she was left)so edward doesn't fully understand it.[/quote]

Okay, she was left. But Edward, had to do the painful job of actually LYING to Bella, bringing them apart because he thought it was for her own good, watch her break down, and then break down himself. That has to hurt, and really, Edward saw Bella's eyes, and how they trully believed that he didn't love her anymore, really, that kind of pain is NOT self-infliclted. Both Edward and Bella went through the same torturous thought of "I will never see him/her again", both went through the seperation in their own ways, but that DOES NOT MEAN that the other doesn't understand what he/she went through. Bella understands Edward's pain, just as Edward understands her pain.
[img]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c43/Summerwind159/themanyfacesofJack.jpg[/img]

Somethings you can't grow out of.............

No, the ";" in my name is not a typo.

"But you see, just because we've been dealt a certain hand, it doesn't mean we can't choose to rise above it - to conquer the boundaries of a destiny that none of us wanted.." Edward Cullen, pg. 307, Twilight
[img]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c43/Summerwind159/Carlisle-1.jpg[/img]

*so_jealous_of_bella*
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by *so_jealous_of_bella* »

i agree that edward had to do all that, and that would be heart breaking to have to tell the one you love most, that you don't love them.

but, still i think i would be a little more comforted, it it was me, knowing that that person would always love me, and that i could go back to them whenever i gave up.
"I will explain this once and for all. Edward and Bella are meant for each other because they are both maniputaing, horrible people. Jacob and I, on the other hand are not. It's why we are perfect for each other." -Penny

bitten_by_Edward_Cullen
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by bitten_by_Edward_Cullen »

I think that at first he didn't understand but after what he went through without her and what he read in Charlie's mind that he probably go the message. All he needed was to step into her shoes for a bit.

la tua cantante
Bella's Casting Agent and Stunt Double
Location: falling down in a little forest of a too sunny forks

empathy

Post by la tua cantante »

bitten_by_Edward_Cullen wrote:I think that at first he didn't understand but after what he went through without her and what he read in Charlie's mind that he probably go the message. All he needed was to step into her shoes for a bit.

yes he really needs to practice empathy...
[img]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/Edward_Cullen_album/Fan%20trailer%20LUNA%20NUEVA/BEAUTYcopia.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/latuacantante/duh.gif[/img]
[size=150][color=CornflowerBlue]PROUD MEMBER OF THE MUFFIN CULLEN FAMILY [/size][/color]

Bella
Settled in Forks

Post by Bella »

I think he does to a certain extent...he saw how much pain she was in but he can't read her mind so maybe not all the way.
"Death, that hath sucked the honey of thy breath, hath had no power yet upon thy beauty."

"You really should avoid me."

"How could they guess that I was standing there enjoying an unexpected moment of insanity?"

"-as if there were any way that I could exist without needing you!"

"I'm here, and I love you. I have always loved you, and I will always love you."

y3nd0
Who needs spell check when you have me!

Post by y3nd0 »

I'd say he doesn't understand her pain... but he does feel it for himself. He obviously thinks that he isn't a lottery prize for Bella, but he loves her just as much as she loves him, so he understands how she feels, but he doesn't know it.

Argh. That just sounds confusing. haha.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/AznSmartiiPants/new-moon-banner.gif[/img]
[b][i]It takes passion and devotion to achieve your goals.[/i][/b]

la tua cantante

didn t try

y3nd0 wrote:I'd say he doesn't understand her pain... but he does feel it for himself. He obviously thinks that he isn't a lottery prize for Bella, but he loves her just as much as she loves him, so he understands how she feels, but he doesn't know it.

Argh. That just sounds confusing. haha.

nono that really was a great answer!

he s able to understand bella s pain 8 if he tried) but he didn t try, that s why he s not able to understand it

(These answers are like puzzles....)
[img]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/Edward_Cullen_album/Fan%20trailer%20LUNA%20NUEVA/BEAUTYcopia.jpg[/img]
[size=150][color=CornflowerBlue]PROUD MEMBER OF THE MUFFIN CULLEN FAMILY [/size][/color]

aurinko
Learning to Love Green

Post by aurinko »

He laughed without a trace of humor. "Just part of the lie, love. There was no distraction from the... the agony. My heart hasn't beat in almost ninety years, but this was different. It was like my heart was gone - like I was hollow. Like I'd left everything that was inside me here with you."
"That's funny," I muttered.
He arched one perfect eyebrow. "Funny?" "I meant strange - I thought it was just me. Lots of pieces of me went missing, too. I haven't been able to really breathe in so long." I filled my lungs, luxuriating in the sensation. "And my heart. That was definitely lost."

New Moon pg. 515

So I think that if he doesn't understand he has to dump. Or deaft.

But really I think he understands:

His words came out half-strangeled. "You... were... risking your life... to hear -" New Moon pg. 526

Aaah, Edward don't be sad! :(

la tua cantante

his own pain

aurinko wrote:

But really I think he understands:

His words came out half-strangeled. "You... were... risking your life... to hear -" New Moon pg. 526

Aaah, Edward don't be sad! :(

his part is when he begins to realize how much bella suffered and how hard it had been for her to survive through his absence

the understanding begins there, but complete?? well if he tries he ll reach to know bellas real pain, and he will really indentify it with his own