Does Edward understnd?

General discussion about the Twilight Series Universe.

Does Edward understand Bella's pain?

yes
59%
no
41%

Total votes: 300

beachbum171
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by beachbum171 »

LunarEc;ipse wrote:Wait, whoa, whoa. Hold on, remember when Edward described how he was basically writhing, and barely able to hold on to himself. He was worse than Bella! Bella at least, held on to some humanity and still went on for Charlie, and her grades, Edward just shriveled up, and gave up living. If anyone read "Rosalie's News" (The phone call where Rosalie told Edward that Bella had died), he described how bad he was, just lying there, taking life a day at a time. I think Edward did (and still does) understand Bella's pain, he went through some too!

I completely agree! Bella went through...well hell when Edward left her, but Edward also went through hell. Edward told Bella himself that at least she went on living her life as best as she could. Edward couldn't! He had to leave his family because of what he was going through and couldn't stand to hurt his family during that time. The excerpt about the phone call between Edward and Rosalie helps explain about how Edward reacted to being without Bella. So yes, I do believe that Edward knows what Bella went through! :D

star_flyer
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by star_flyer »

beachbum171 wrote:
LunarEc;ipse wrote:Wait, whoa, whoa. Hold on, remember when Edward described how he was basically writhing, and barely able to hold on to himself. He was worse than Bella! Bella at least, held on to some humanity and still went on for Charlie, and her grades, Edward just shriveled up, and gave up living. If anyone read "Rosalie's News" (The phone call where Rosalie told Edward that Bella had died), he described how bad he was, just lying there, taking life a day at a time. I think Edward did (and still does) understand Bella's pain, he went through some too!

I completely agree! Bella went through...well hell when Edward left her, but Edward also went through hell. Edward told Bella himself that at least she went on living her life as best as she could. Edward couldn't! He had to leave his family because of what he was going through and couldn't stand to hurt his family during that time. The excerpt about the phone call between Edward and Rosalie helps explain about how Edward reacted to being without Bella. So yes, I do believe that Edward knows what Bella went through! :D

I think that they both went threw a lot. Yet they were different kinds of pain. Yet I don't believe either of them fully understand what they went threw. Yeah Bella was completely lost and yet she held up pretty nicely for just losing her soul mate. She would get up every morning and go to school and be the perfect daughter for Charlie.

And as for Edward --

New Moon pg. 514

'I'm not as strong as you give me credit for," he said. 'Right and wrong have ceased to mean much to me; I was coming back anyway. Before Rosalie told me the news, I was already past trying to live through one week at a time, or even one day. I was fighting to make it through a single hour. It was only a matter of time- and not much of it - before I showed up at your window and begged you to take me back. I'd be happy to beg now, if you'd like that. "

Not that I am saying Edward went threw more pain than Bella. Just that it is a different kind of pain. Bella made more of an effort to get threw the day.

Well pretty much all of chapter 23. The Truth.

Ehh I hope you guys understand what I am trying to say. I am even confusing myself. :?

Kittychan
Learning to Love Green

Post by Kittychan »

Edward completely understands her pain because he has gone through the same thing.Because he loves her as much as she does.Edward was in the worse posible state of mind...When he left Bella he completely broke down,,He heartache was horrible it was such that it became a physical pain....

Remenber the outake on Rosalie's news....He was a train wrecked....he was in a catatonic state and depressed in the worse posible way imaginable...

Edward and Bella's love borders on insanity.....And when he understood she felt the same way (as in CRAZY-I-NEED-YOU-OR-I-DIE way)he completely understood her pain....It was obvious that the moment they became separated she died the same way he did.....Awwww!!!!! Ain't that wonderfull!!!

*so_jealous_of_bella*
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by *so_jealous_of_bella* »

but remember, edward could have easily come back whenever he felt like it, he knew bella would take him back.

but imagine if charlie wasn't there........

i think bella would have broke down worse than edward because she truely thought her soulmate did not love her anymore.

where edward at least knew that bella would always love him and would take him back.

i think edward went through lots of pain, don't get me wrong, but it was self inflicted. i don't think he understands the pain bella went through.

but, then again you can say the same for bella.
"I will explain this once and for all. Edward and Bella are meant for each other because they are both maniputaing, horrible people. Jacob and I, on the other hand are not. It's why we are perfect for each other." -Penny

LunarEc;ipse
Vampire Bartender

Post by LunarEc;ipse »

*so_jealous_of_bella* wrote:
where edward at least knew that bella would always love him and would take him back.
size=18][/size]

Well, again, Edward was thinking that Bella was having a normal life and with that included, he thought that Bella could have had a new guy in her life. And with that he knew he couldn't come back. And on top of that, he had his promise that he intended to keep.
[img]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c43/Summerwind159/themanyfacesofJack.jpg[/img]

Somethings you can't grow out of.............

No, the ";" in my name is not a typo.

"But you see, just because we've been dealt a certain hand, it doesn't mean we can't choose to rise above it - to conquer the boundaries of a destiny that none of us wanted.." Edward Cullen, pg. 307, Twilight
[img]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c43/Summerwind159/Carlisle-1.jpg[/img]

Taxi
On a Pixie Stick Sugar Hi

Post by Taxi »

I think that he understands what Bella went through completely. Edward needed Bella as much as she needed him. If anything, I'd say that he was in worse shape than Bella. He'd gone ninety years devoid of anyone that he loved with as much passion as he did with Bella, and then he ripped himself away.

Edward seemed pretty set on letting Bella live a normal, human life. He loved her that much. I don't see how he could not understand. Both were pained by the same thing- separation. I'm fairly certain that he could empathize on some level with what Bella went through, having gone through the same thing himself.
<center>[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v162/heyquitpeeking/Yoyo/ban.png[/img]</center>

Phantom Goddess
Settled in Forks

Post by Phantom Goddess »

Taxi wrote:I think that he understands what Bella went through completely. Edward needed Bella as much as she needed him. If anything, I'd say that he was in worse shape than Bella. He'd gone ninety years devoid of anyone that he loved with as much passion as he did with Bella, and then he ripped himself away.

Edward seemed pretty set on letting Bella live a normal, human life. He loved her that much. I don't see how he could not understand. Both were pained by the same thing- separation. I'm fairly certain that he could empathize on some level with what Bella went through, having gone through the same thing himself.

I completely agree with you.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/phantomgoddess/thecullens.jpg[/img]

silly_bella
Experimenting with Rattle Snake Venom
Location: Driving through the mountains with Edward. He was hitching after Bronzehairedgirl kicked him out.

Post by silly_bella »

I'm not with the crowd on this.

I do think Edward has realized how much he hurt Bella. But I don't think anyone can really say that he was worse than she was.

Here's why:

By the time Edward and Bella get home, Edward has already figured out that Bella isn't quite right. He doesn't have the reason. It isn't until later in their discussion that he learns just how dead she's been. He thinks she doesn't want him to kiss her because she has moved on like he wanted her to. Then he finds out that she thought he wanted to die because he felt guilty, that she is terrified of her feelings for him because she's afraind of him leaving again, and that his leaving her is worse than the werewolves, Victoria and the Volturi -- because any of them could kill her, but he could leave her. Then, after all that, he finds out about the her hearing his voice when she has the delusions. When he realizes that the reason she's been into risk-taking activities is so she can hear his voice, he's floored. He isn't stupid. He knows what he's done.

Now, for the dueling depressions:

Neither Bella nor Edward have dated others before. Edward, however, has livednearly 110 years (the last 90 or so of them with 24 hour days because he doesn't need to sleep). He has a lifetime of experience to draw upon to deal with the ramifications of his choice to leave Bella. On the other hand, Bella has 17 years of experience to draw upon. Not nearly so much. And her family isn't as stable a support system as Edwards has been most of his life. She has flighty Renée, who needed Bella to be the adult, and Charlie, who is pretty non-communicative. He support system, when Edward chose to leave, was mostly his family -- and he took them, too, even if he didn't stay with them.

Now, if you know about clinical depression, there's an easy and a hard way to deal with it. The easy way is to curl up in a ball and ignore the world. Trust me, during a depression it is so much easier to just pull down the shades, turn out the lights and hibernate. The hard thing -- because it is fighting your body and your mind -- is to get up and function at any rate. It doesn't make the feelings go away, it just means that in addition to your feelings, you are doing all the things that need to be done, too. Bella takes the hard road. Edward doesn't.

As one of my friends said, "Rock bottome isn't wanting to kill yourself. If you want to kill yourself, at least you care enough to want something. 'Rock bottom is when you stop caring whether you live or die."

Edward wants to kill himself. Bella doesn't care if she lives or dies anymore.

Then there's the knowledge. Bella has lost her support system and the love of her life. She thinks Edward doesn't love her anymore. She has no reason to think he's coming back. She can't even think about the good memories because they tear a hole in her -- to have safe memories, she has to have him screaming at her angrily. She doesn't have her epiphany until he's back, so all she knows is that this is the only way for her to remember him without hurting herself more. Even after he's assured her that he's staying, she can't trust him to mean it.

Edward, on the other hand, knew that she loved him when he left. He wanted her feelings to dwindle so she could live a happy, human life, but he wasn't rejected by her. He knew she was in forks, He knew that if he made the choice, he could go back. Bella didn't have that option.

They are both pretty low, but just because Bella is functioning it doesn't mean that Edward is worse -- he just appears worse because it looks so different from normal.

tricia
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by tricia »

I think he understood her pain completely. I think he was not only in the same amount of pain but possibly more. It was self exile from her. No only was he fighting the pain of being without her but he was also the only one keeping himself from her. It had to be heartbreaking for him.

however

I wanted to slap him when he was in bella's bedroom. She is doing everything she can to keep herself together and he asks her "how could you have believed me" (referring to himself telling her he didn't want her in the woods)

I understand where she was at that moment mentally but i really wish she had made his squirm just a bit.
"I may gain forgiveness, but that doesn't let me escape the consequences."

"The Course of true love never did run smooth." - Lysander, Midsummer Night's Dream

la tua cantante
Bella's Casting Agent and Stunt Double
Location: falling down in a little forest of a too sunny forks

nope

Post by la tua cantante »

i don t think so
of course he kew she would suffer, but as she is a human, he thought she would be healed much sooner and her pain wasn t really taht hard for him ( always verey hard understand me, but not equal to his he must have thought)

after all, she s just human ( literal thought)
[img]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/Edward_Cullen_album/Fan%20trailer%20LUNA%20NUEVA/BEAUTYcopia.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/latuacantante/duh.gif[/img]
[size=150][color=CornflowerBlue]PROUD MEMBER OF THE MUFFIN CULLEN FAMILY [/size][/color]