New Moon....BitterSweet? (Mixed review thread)

General discussion about the Twilight Series Universe.
Betatselewd
Settled in Forks

New Moon....BitterSweet? (Mixed review thread)

Post by Betatselewd »

Ok...the first thing I felt after reading New Moon was depression. This book was just so painful...the separation etc. I am a really emotional person. But my point is that New Moon has "haunted" me...just remembering all of Bella's dark moments...especially in the woods when Edward left her...and life after that...I cannot get that out of my head...I tried so hard to eat up their reunion but their separation was so fresh in my mind...urrrrr...New Moon was bittersweet...does anyone else feel that way?

Note: I am not saying I didn't like New Moon!! I LOVE IT!!! But other than Twilight I felt a deep sadness throughout the entire book...hmm...and you know what?! I think that Stephenie Meyer is amazing (well that's obvious) because she really made me feel Bella's pain...ok...I hope this makes sense...
His gold eyes grew very soft. "You said you loved me."
"You knew that already," I reminded him, ducking my head.
"It was nice to hear, just the same."
I hid my face against his shoulder.
"I love you," I whispered.
"You are my life now," he answered simply.
~Twilight (pg. 314)
SweetestCyn
Settled in Forks

Post by SweetestCyn »

Ok...the first thing I felt after reading New Moon was depression. This book was just so painful...the separation etc. I am a really emotional person. But my point is that New Moon has "haunted" me...just remembering all of Bella's dark moments...especially in the woods when Edward left her...and life after that...I cannot get that out of my head...I tried so hard to eat up their reunion but their separation was so fresh in my mind...urrrrr...New Moon was bittersweet...does anyone else feel that way?

^^I definately understand what you mean! I'm a really emotional person too! I felt so bad for Bella and everyhting she had to go through and it was like you could feel the pain that she was experiencing as you were reading! (Or maybe that was just me). I cried so much while reading New Moon! It was so painful and heart-wrenching but in a way that made you want to read more, to make sure that everything would end up ok. And everything did end up ok! God, Stephenie Meyer is BRILLIANT! But I understand where you are coming from when you say that New Moon was bittersweet.
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Keep breathing
'Cause I'm not leaving you anymore
Believe it
Hold on to me and, never let me go

Far Away - Nickelback
InLoVeWiThAbOoK
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: New Moon....BitterSweet?

Post by InLoVeWiThAbOoK »

Betatselewd wrote:Ok...the first thing I felt after reading New Moon was depression. This book was just so painful...the separation etc. I am a really emotional person. But my point is that New Moon has "haunted" me...just remembering all of Bella's dark moments...especially in the woods when Edward left her...and life after that...I cannot get that out of my head...I tried so hard to eat up their reunion but their separation was so fresh in my mind...urrrrr...New Moon was bittersweet...does anyone else feel that way?

Note: I am not saying I didn't like New Moon!! I LOVE IT!!! But other than Twilight I felt a deep sadness throughout the entire book...hmm...and you know what?! I think that Stephenie Meyer is amazing (well that's obvious) because she really made me feel Bella's pain...ok...I hope this makes sense...

Yes it was a bittersweet book,
i loved it in all its glory but i was very sad in the middle, not so much the end (well a little just because the reading experiance was over) but i know that you mean.
i enjoyed it, but bella was so depressed and sad that it was hard not to feel what she was feeling, but i guess that just goes to show how amazing a author Stpehenie is, she got us to feel how the main character was feeling.
http://dealwiththepain.livejournal.com
pelirroja

Post by pelirroja »

It was a bit bitter sweet for me too. Right when I was ready to say "enough with the angst already" the scene with Laurent happened I felt the tempo picked up as did my mood.

In general for me it ws the transition book where the honeymoon and being innocent is over. It's the book that leaves you with more questions than answers. Which to me is a good thing, because now I want Eclipse RIGHT NOW...not that I'm obsessed or anything.
InLoVeWiThAbOoK
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by InLoVeWiThAbOoK »

pelirroja wrote:It was a bit bitter sweet for me too. Right when I was ready to say "enough with the angst already" the scene with Laurent happened I felt the tempo picked up as did my mood.

In general for me it ws the transition book where the honeymoon and being innocent is over. It's the book that leaves you with more questions than answers. Which to me is a good thing, because now I want Eclipse RIGHT NOW...not that I'm obsessed or anything.

haha, oh ya ... totally not obsessed, and neither am i.

actually i would like to stand up and say

"hello, i have a problem ... i am obsessed with these books!"

but ya, definently more questions then answers!
http://dealwiththepain.livejournal.com
Mayde
Better Tracking Skills Than James

Post by Mayde »

[quote="pelirroja"] It was a bit bitter sweet for me too. Right when I was ready to say "enough with the angst already"... [quote]

I was ready to say that too! I loved the book, but Bella being so depressed got me all depressed. I just wanted everything to be okay.
Last edited by Mayde on Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Need help searching? Ask my new partner [b]Cullengirl[/b] in the [url=http://www.twilightlexicon.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10643][b][color=#CC99FF]Search thread![/color][/b][/url] She's a much better searcher than I am :)
lila
Settled in Forks

Post by lila »

Maybe that was the point. Bella and Edward's reunion wouldn't have been as sweet if we hadn't seen Bella suffer through so much.
Last edited by lila on Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mayde
Better Tracking Skills Than James

Post by Mayde »

lila wrote:Maybe that was the point. Bella and Edward's reunion wouldn't have been as sweet if we hadn't seen Bella suffer so much.

True, but I wanted the reunion to come faster :wink:
Need help searching? Ask my new partner [b]Cullengirl[/b] in the [url=http://www.twilightlexicon.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10643][b][color=#CC99FF]Search thread![/color][/b][/url] She's a much better searcher than I am :)
Betatselewd
Settled in Forks

Post by Betatselewd »

I think that the hardest thing about the book is the loss of Edward. Stephenie really made me feel that...just not having Edward's presence anywhere was terrible...except of course when Bella heard his voice in her head...which was the only thing you had to hold onto until their BEAUTIFUL reunion...this was definitely an emotional book :D
His gold eyes grew very soft. "You said you loved me."
"You knew that already," I reminded him, ducking my head.
"It was nice to hear, just the same."
I hid my face against his shoulder.
"I love you," I whispered.
"You are my life now," he answered simply.
~Twilight (pg. 314)
walk me home
Settled in Forks

Post by walk me home »

Betatselewd wrote:I think that the hardest thing about the book is the loss of Edward. Stephenie really made me feel that...just not having Edward's presence anywhere was terrible...except of course when Bella heard his voice in her head...which was the only thing you had to hold onto until their BEAUTIFUL reunion...this was definitely an emotional book :D

Absolutely. He was just so...absent. I was so upset when I started reading and a few chapters in he leaves!!! I felt Bella's depression almost...