SM/DND The Jacob Effect

General discussion about the Twilight Series Universe.
Pretty Words
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Pretty Words » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:08 pm

I haven't read every post on here, but I wanted to throw in my two cents, so if I sound like I'm repeating anyone...sorry :oops:

The comment on "Jake's" myspace didn't actually upset me that much...I figured Stephenie meant it in a light hearted kind of way, or, if not, well...it still wouldn't surprise me if she liked Jake more. Remember how she said Jake is more like her husband*, while she's more like Edward. I've realized before that if I ever met anyone like Jake, I would probably like him...a lot. Whereas if I met Edward, I would be wayyyyyyy too intimidated by him to actually talk to him. The quiet, brooding type are sexy in books (*cough Mr. Darcy cough*) but in real life...they just kind of make me uncomfortable. However, despite all of that, I still am totally in love with Edward in the series, whereas I'm not crazy about Jake in the series (I can respect him and his actions and empathize with his pain, but I don't exactly love him either). So maybe that's part of the reason she likes him more, because she sort of has a Jake in real life?

So when Stephenie has hinted before that she likes Jake more (at the book signing I went to someone asked who she would pick if she had to choose between Edward and Jake and she said Jake, because he's more like her husband AND single, so I took that to mean, way back august, that she liked him more) was I disappointed? Yes. Do I think that's going to have any effect on the series? Nope.

I think that, to Stephenie her characters are very real with very real personalities. I'm not saying she has actual conversations with them, but she gets them. She has to. I'm sure that she loves all of her characters, but perhaps it's because of the similarities between Jake and her husband that make her more fond of him. I think that, despite whether or not she loves one character more than the other, Stephenie has commited to the Bella and Edward story. I think that she truly loves Bedward and I don't think that she would split them up (again *shudder*) just to see her "favorite" get the girl. Besides, who knows? Maybe she already has a new love interest in mind for Jake?

Besides, she has repeatedly told us that she would tie up Bella's narrative nicely with a big, fat bow. To me, that means the happily-ever-after we've been expecting all along with EVERYONE happy and in love. If Bella were to leave Edward for Jake, how would that be a big, fat bow? That would be a puny, bittersweet, tiny little bow. Because even if she left him, still desperately in love but also desperately wanting to live a normal, human life, then maybe Bella can be happy with Jake but part of her would always ache. And Edward....poor guy. We all know how that would probably turn out. (Emo Edward....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ) So a big fat bow means no bittersweetness. it means that everything has been resolved, the characters can all be at peace with their actions and the consequences, and everyone has their significant other (well...that's what a happily ever after is in my world) and I have all the more confidence in the ending that I want because of the parallel between Breaking Dawn and A Midsummer Night's Dream. :wink:

*I may have taken some liberties there, but I swear I heard her say that. Am I just crazy or is that correct?
"It's testing the strong ones
It's scarring the beautiful ones
It's holding your loved ones
one last time"
-"Testing The Strong Ones"
by Copeland

"My hands were gripping his arms, pulling myself tighter to him, my mouth glued to his and answering every unspoken question his asked."
-Eclipse

I_always_loved_vampires:)

Post by I_always_loved_vampires:) » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:26 pm

I have to disagree with you, Pretty Words. I don't think that a "big fat bow" necessarily equals no bittersweetness. There can be complete resolution to a story and bittersweetness galore. And in my mind, there is no question that Bella might pick Jacob in Breaking Dawn, (even if Stephenie Meyer does love him the best) and even if Jacob gets his "happy ending", whatever that may be, a part of him will always ache for Bella, and that equals bittersweetness.

But I would like to pose a question: Stephenie said that she loves Jacob best, but in what way? As the guy she would want for herself if she could have him, or as a character, or...? What she meant might matter in thinking whether that love will affect the storyline.
"Remember tonight...for it is the beginning of always."

ethereal_eternity
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by ethereal_eternity » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:30 pm

i agree, at this point there's really no way for this story to end cleanly. someone's going to get shafted, at least to some degree. and my money's on bella's family, no doubt.

*hates happily ever after* XD

i at least hope there won't be a disney ending for jacob. it just seems inappropriate for him :/
[img]http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/1503/sig1ar4.jpg[/img]
finally

LisaCullenAZ
Fishing with Charlie

Post by LisaCullenAZ » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:52 pm

Okay, see, I don't see that Jacob having a "disney ending" is a bad thing - especially if it doesn't infringe on Bella and Edward's happy ending. I would actually cry if Jacob ends up unhappy.

I can see that he might still ache for Bella, but seeing as Stephenie loves him and that she used the words "big fat bow" or "nice big bow" or whatever she said to mean she'd wrap up the story nicely... that means, to me, that all her favorite characters will be taken care of and happy. Jacob, Edward, and Bella. So I agree, Pretty Words.
[img]http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd76/sprtygal/Cliff.gif[/img]
[color=black][size=84]Banner by Fry ~ Thank You, thank you, thank you![/color][/size]

Adultae lexiconum recipientes nuntiis singulis.

Pretty Words

Post by Pretty Words » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:08 pm

LisaCullenAZ wrote:I can see that he might still ache for Bella, but seeing as Stephenie loves him and that she used the words "big fat bow" or "nice big bow" or whatever she said to mean she'd wrap up the story nicely... that means, to me, that all her favorite characters will be taken care of and happy. Jacob, Edward, and Bella. So I agree, Pretty Words.
Why thank you Lisa! :wink: And I'm in agreement with you too. I don't approve of everything Jake has done, but I still think he deserves a happy ending too...
But I would like to pose a question: Stephenie said that she loves Jacob best, but in what way? As the guy she would want for herself if she could have him, or as a character, or...? What she meant might matter in thinking whether that love will affect the storyline.

This is where I was going with the "considering how she said her husband was more like Jake..." comment. Any time I heard or read Stephenie saying anything about liking Jake better, I got the impression that she only liked him just the tiniest bit better, and I imagined it was because of his personality, as in, if she met him in real life she would like him...

Anyways, I have a really hard time seeing Stephenie splitting up Bella/Edward just because she likes another character better. That just wouldn't be right...[/quote]
"It's testing the strong ones
It's scarring the beautiful ones
It's holding your loved ones
one last time"
-"Testing The Strong Ones"
by Copeland

"My hands were gripping his arms, pulling myself tighter to him, my mouth glued to his and answering every unspoken question his asked."
-Eclipse

I_always_loved_vampires:)

Post by I_always_loved_vampires:) » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:12 pm

I can't see it either...and as I said before, even if Jacob is her favorite, I think Stephenie's story is too plot driven to have her feelings for a particular character change the direction in which the story is going.
"Remember tonight...for it is the beginning of always."

mz.cullenn
Officially Bitten!

Post by mz.cullenn » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:30 am

Stephenie loves Jake and even if she didn't she would still give him a happy ending in BD. He deserves one. Besides she adores her characters and would want to end the story in a way that she wanted, knowing that they were happy and taken care of (especially Jake since he recently had his heart broken).
I would actually cry if Jacob ends up unhappy.
Trust me, you are not the only one! Even though Im 110% Team Edward, imagining seeing Jake unhappy is just terrifying!
[img]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk252/mz_kateee/My%20Avatars%20and%20Banners/Others/Untitled-2dryhtjfkhhyghjkggpng.png[/img]
[size=75]
<b>I LOVE EDWARD CULLEN.</b>

Proud <b>Cullenist</b>, Member of <b>Alice</b> House and Supporter of <b><i>Team Edward</b></i>, Baby!
-VMT Queen of Diamonds-
<b>Wanderer</b> - Because after so many milenia, Humans haven't figured love out.
<b>Team Ian</b> - Because He's.Not.Leaving.Me.
Credit to Bella_Cullen_13!
<b>Banner</b> made by me![/size]

Visitor
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by Visitor » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:41 am

Just to add a slight addendum to my earlier post: I don't think there is anything at all wrong with SM loving one of her characters above all others. Heck, it's her series she can love who she wants to (love who she wants to, looove who she wants to . . . sorry, I couldn't resist 8) ). But I do think that in this particular case, there may be more to it than just mere personal preference. Only because SM has made a point of . . . um . . . making a point, of her fondness for Jacob. And why would she do that unless she is trying to . . . make a point?

Allow me to play Devil's Advocate and point out what could be construed as proof that SM is trying to convey something with her Jacob-love and not just state a preference; a) SM has repeatedly said that she would choose Jacob over Edward (and I think that her telling us that Jacob is more like her husband is true, but also acts as a way of lessening the blow to us poor Edward fans :cry: ) b) Prior to the release of Eclipse and its official play list, SM touted Muses' 'Hysteria' as The. Most. Important song influence for the most important scene in the book, which she later identified as B&J's second kiss c) On the site where they sell TW merchandise, the featured picture is of SM in a Team Jacob t-shirt (o.k. so I may be stretching it a bit here :oops: ) d) In a recent interview, she said she has a particular fondness for Jacob fans (or something to that effect) e) When Eclipse first came out, in a Q&A, she said that Jacob was her favorite f) And now she's posted the 'I love you best' comment on an arbitrary Jacob Myspace page.

So I guess my point is, why would she say/do/show us these things if we were not meant to take something from them? Well, something besides the obvious fact that she loves Jacob, of course. But who knows . . . maybe she's getting us acclimated to the idea of Jacob as the 2nd narrator in BD (this would please me). Maybe she's getting us acclimated to the idea of Jacob as the future narrator for future TW related novels (this too pleases me). Maybe she's quietly making a case for why Bella will end up with Jacob in BD (for the love of mike, nooooooooooo!!). Either way, in this case I think there is more to it than just stating a personal preference. It looks a lot more like taking a stand. And I repeat, why would she take such a stand (in such an arguably hostile fandom) if she really doesn't mean anything by it? Hmmm :?:

Oh . . . and Ouisa pointed out that SM said that E&B were engaged at the end of the original TW draft. I think we can all agree that we have come a long way from that possible story arc to the one we find ourselves in now, can't we? So who knows, NM and Eclipse could have been the result of . . . dun dun dun . . . THE JACOB EFFECT. . . EFFECT . . . Effect . . . effect! Then again . . . maybe not. :)
"Why did she have to come here? Why did she have to exist? Why did she have to ruin the little peace I had in this non-life of mine? Why had this aggravating human ever been born? She would ruin me."
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

[b]"So the witnesses first then."[/b]

[i]Edward Cullen, MS[/i]

ethereal_eternity
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by ethereal_eternity » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:23 am

LisaCullenAZ wrote:Okay, see, I don't see that Jacob having a "disney ending" is a bad thing - especially if it doesn't infringe on Bella and Edward's happy ending. I would actually cry if Jacob ends up unhappy.
i would be sad if he was unhappy too, but by "no disney ending" i mean that he doesn't need to go through the motions of imprinting and finding a new girl to have an appropriate happy ending. i mean, he can be perfectly happy and still be single by the end of the book. not to say that he'll be single forever, just by the end of the book. later in future books i can see him developing a new love interest. i guess that just stems from my huge pet peeve that all leftover characters from a love triangle/square/etc. must find their own love interest by the end, which isn't really necessary.

visitor, your ideas are extremely interesting and provocative. there is certainly some suspicion of why stephenie feels that she must stand up and declare her love for jacob. but i wouldn't go so far as to say she'll all of a sudden turn the books to bella/jacob. i do believe this declaration of love must have come out of defense for jacob after so many fans still come to hate and reject him even after eclipse, the novel she had claimed would convert all jake-haters to warm up to him. i feel like she feels that a complete understanding of jacob's character and his motivations is essential to the full understanding of her story as a whole, so maybe she feels that jacob-haters aren't enjoying her story to the fullest? or missing a point? this is a bit of a stretch, but it's the feeling i got from all her jacob enthusiasm and all the epiphanies people have been getting from re-reading new moon and eclipse.
[img]http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/1503/sig1ar4.jpg[/img]
finally

Kementari
Wandering Through Town

Post by Kementari » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:30 am

*Eep! First real post!

I can definitely understand your Devil's Advocate position, Visitor, but I just don't know... Obviously SM loves Jacob. She also loves Edward - hasn't she flat-out stated that he's the "perfect man"? But most importantly, she continually emphasises that her characters have, in a way, written themselves. I think despite her feelings for Jacob/Edward, she'll finish out the series in a way that matches the characters' personalities and needs. As an author who feels so strongly about maintaining her characters' personal... character integrity?... I would hope that SM not get carried away by preference.

As to her constant Jacob-favoritism... I'm not so sure the reason. Perhaps she simply wants to make the Jacobites feel better? ;) Honestly, I feel more comfortable placing her Jacob love in a personality preference kind of catergory. You know - SM loves Jacob for his endearing 16-year-old ways, while I appreciate Jacob as a... plot device (total team Edward, here, hee hee).