SMDND-Exploring the Theme of "Choice"

General discussion about the Twilight Series Universe.
SPARKLES
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by SPARKLES »

^^I think one reason that might explain why Edward wasn't as upset as one would think he should be is because he knows WHY she fell in love with Jacob. He admits that Jacob is the "consequence" of him leaving her. He knows Jacob helped Bella through alot when he left her and that Bella really leaned on him. Edward, I think, understands that Bella's feelings for Jacob are the consequence of his choice to leave.
But he doesnt always say what and how he feels so maybe he does harbor some resentment but he himself said he is never mad at Bella (Twilight) but that he gets mad at himself or circumstances, never Bella though.
[img]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/smileymontes/BE.jpg[/img][img]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m190/rossumrox05/Bella%20and%20Edward/teamedward.jpg[/img][img]http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u78/heart_in_the_clouds/Avatars%20and%20Icons/Twilight%20series/blackandtealheart2ux8.png[/img]

Visitor
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by Visitor »

Sorghey wrote:This is why I have to say that I do think Edward would do it all over again, given what he knows, even now. The connection between Bella and Edward is not easily explained. Bella is NOT normal. It's one of the major characteristics that sucks Edward in. Although he chose Bella in TW under somewhat "blind" circumstances, he chose her for all of the same reasons that he would choose her now. Edward is Edward. Which is why I don't think he regrets his decisions.
Edward may not regret his decisions. Especially not his original decision to take Bella to the meadow. But since it is the action that subsequently changed both their lives, I still feel that Edward would change it if he could. But only because changing things (i.e. not bringing Bella deeper into his world) saves her from what she is currently facing (potential loss of family, friends, future, life, etc.). Loving her the way that he does, I just can't see Edward not choosing to change things.

Now I would hope that he wouldn't go back and change things. I would hope that Bella's unconditional love for him would be enough to show Edward that he is a person as worthy of love as the next guy. But I just don't know if Edward believes that. And since love isn't the only thing at stake in the world they're living in . . .

Ugh! What a horrible moral dilemma. Good thing Edward doesn't have the option to change things. Good thing time machines and genies don't really exist. Unlike vampires . . . :wink:

Off Topic: Thanks for the input Stephenie! And yes, December does rock out loud! :)
"Why did she have to come here? Why did she have to exist? Why did she have to ruin the little peace I had in this non-life of mine? Why had this aggravating human ever been born? She would ruin me."
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

[b]"So the witnesses first then."[/b]

[i]Edward Cullen, MS[/i]

BellaTheBrunette
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by BellaTheBrunette »

I agree with SPARKLES -

Edward is one of those people who blames themselves for everything. Bella has even confronted him about this. Despite that, how could he be mad at Bella for something he caused? Or as SPARKLES said it, a consequence of him leaving? Even though he meant for Bella to move on, the fact that she DID only makes him more angry with himself for interrupting her could-be perfect life...And on one hand, he still wonders whether that life would be safer for her...So, no, I don't think he is showing how upset he is, because he blames himself. Although I might like to see some of that frustration/sadness show up in BD, so that Bella can convince him that not everything is his fault!!
*VMT Queen of Spades*

Check out the VMT Cullenary! where we taint your mind with naughty terms!

Pretty Words
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Pretty Words »

hmmm (okay...darnit, I'm posting again. Someone make me get off this thread!!!!) those are interesting thoughts...and you're probably right...(as in you are right...i think?) I think it's when I don't factor in everything he said that it feels like he should be resentful? ugh...I don't know...
Visitor wrote:Edward may not regret his decisions. Especially not his original decision to take Bella to the meadow. But since it is the action that subsequently changed both their lives, I still feel that Edward would change it if he could. But only because changing things (i.e. not bringing Bella deeper into his world) saves her from what she is currently facing (potential loss of family, friends, future, life, etc.). Loving her the way that he does, I just can't see Edward not choosing to change things.
Okay, I can definitely see where you're coming from...and I actually agree with you. What you were saying though, about Edward choosing to take Bella to the meadow, thus bringing him deeper into his world, made me think of how Bella already felt like she was in his world...at least enough to believe herself in love with him (irrevocably so :wink: ). At one point, I think it's before he takes her to the meadow, but I'm not sure, Bella thinks that leaving Edward would cause her physical pain. So by the time he takes her to the meadow...wasn't she already in too deep?

This reminds me of the "at what point did Bella actually fall in love with Edward" discussion...both feel like they could go round and round for hours on end without reaching a solid conclusion...
"It's testing the strong ones
It's scarring the beautiful ones
It's holding your loved ones
one last time"
-"Testing The Strong Ones"
by Copeland

"My hands were gripping his arms, pulling myself tighter to him, my mouth glued to his and answering every unspoken question his asked."
-Eclipse

BellaTheBrunette
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Pretty Words wrote:At one point, I think it's before he takes her to the meadow, but I'm not sure, Bella thinks that leaving Edward would cause her physical pain. So by the time he takes her to the meadow...wasn't she already in too deep?
Good point. I think before the meadow she was already in too deep anyways...In addition to Pretty Words' key point about Bella already feeling that it was be painful to be away from Edward, Bella also claims something along the lines of, "it seems like my life was all about him already" or something similar.

I will try to find both quotes in conjunction to the meadow chapter...
*VMT Queen of Spades*

BellaTheBrunette
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Okay sorry to post so much. I haven't found THE quotes we were looking for yet, but I stumbled across this:

"And I couldn't stop the gloom that engulfed me as I realized I didn't know how long I would have to wait before I saw him again" [Twilight, p. 111]

This was BEFORE Bella even knew that Edward was a vampire! She already missed him so much while he was gone...Man, she had it bad for him...
*VMT Queen of Spades*

Pretty Words
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Pretty Words »

BellatheBrunnette wrote:She already missed him so much while he was gone...Man, she had it bad for him...
LOL! You could say that. :lol: But that's a good quote to point out...though I guess someone could STILL argue that she could have, eventually, gotten over him. Had he not taken her to the meadow... :roll:
"It's testing the strong ones
It's scarring the beautiful ones
It's holding your loved ones
one last time"
-"Testing The Strong Ones"
by Copeland

"My hands were gripping his arms, pulling myself tighter to him, my mouth glued to his and answering every unspoken question his asked."
-Eclipse

Sorghey
Learning to Love Green

Post by Sorghey »

Visitor wrote:
Edward may not regret his decisions. Especially not his original decision to take Bella to the meadow. But since it is the action that subsequently changed both their lives, I still feel that Edward would change it if he could. But only because changing things (i.e. not bringing Bella deeper into his world) saves her from what she is currently facing (potential loss of family, friends, future, life, etc.). Loving her the way that he does, I just can't see Edward not choosing to change things.
Visitor, I see where you are coming from and I agree with you to an extent. If Edward were not part of her world, he would not be responsible for the "doom" she is now facing; however, others could be. Bella is a "danger magnet", she has yummy smelling blood, and she lives in Forks near vampires--they had no say in her arrival. Even if Edward had never entered her life, Bella ran the risk of harm from other vampires. I believe Edward knows this. Essentially, if given the choice, Edward may choose to undo what has been done in order to give Bella a "normal" human life, but I believe he would be left with the grueling task of protecting his love from afar (assuming he already knows how much he loves her when he goes back in time). In which case, I think he would ultimately have to get involved again. Just as he did with the car accident in the parking lot. At least this way, he can be with his true love, whether she remains human or becomes a vampire, and Bella is happy and protected.

Visitor wrote:
Ugh! What a horrible moral dilemma. Good thing Edward doesn't have the option to change things. Good thing time machines and genies don't really exist. Unlike vampires . . . :wink:
:lol: Hahaha! Very true.

LindsAy
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by LindsAy »

Oh my goodness...well I was undecided before about whether Edward would go back and change his mind, and now reading all the differing opinions my head has made me even more unsure! :)

The sentimental part of me wants to believe that the thought of not being with Bella after he has grown to be so in love with her would be so hard for him that he could not possibly regret his involvement in his life. Yet another side of me cannot deny that he always wants what is best for Bella, and not for himself.

One thing I wondered is whether the events in Eclipse in particular would have changed his mind on that. With figuring out that, as he'd hoped when he left her in New Moon, Bella can love another man and be perfectly happy, does it make him regret his prescence in her life even more?

To me...and this might seem convoluted, story-progession wise... it seems like for Edward's moral dilemma about his involvement with Bella, the events of New Moon would have been a step forward for it and the events of Eclipse would have taken it a step back. End of New Moon/Beginning of Eclipse: Edward sees how much pain Bella was in without him. Therefore, he realizes how important he is in her happiness and does not regret being a part of her life. End of Eclipse: Edward sees that Bella loves Jacob too and could be perfectly happy with him. Even if it the love she feels for Jacob isn't the same, if Edward hadn't existed, she would never have known that and could have lived a happy, un-damned existence. (Does that make sense, or am I babbling to myself? :? )

Pretty Words wrote:
On the other hand...I have a hard time imagining that someone could be that forgiving. I mean, so Edward wasn't even the tiniest bit upset that she was in love with someone else? And I don't mean upset as in depressed, I mean upset like...feeling spurned and resentful...
See, I was exactly the opposite. :P I knew he would never be resentful of Bella or Jacob, but I thought he would at the very least show signs of being very sad and depressed about it, of course from blaming himself the whole way.

That's the frustrating thing about Edward for me - I can't always tell what he's thinking. His reaction to Bella and Jacob's kiss in Eclipse almost reminded me of the way he acted in New Moon before leaving Bella (besides the large fact that he was purposely acting distant and cold in New Moon :P ). Was the stoic, calm nature all an act, or was there some actual peace when he was leaving her? Of course he was in pain about having to part with her, but I wonder if also part of him was really at peace with it because he believed so strongly that he was doing the right for Bella.

And because I can't resist...Thank you so much for visiting our thread, Stephenie. It gives great joy to us all! :)

TrueLove1
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by TrueLove1 »

Thanks to Stephenie for stepping in to our new little home here on the lex. And don't "worry" Stephenie about "rambling on" so much: we asked for this thread because WE ramble on so much!