Does Bella know?

General discussion about the Twilight Series Universe.
The Green Queen
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Does Bella know?

Post by The Green Queen »

I used the search feature and I could not find anything, if this is already a topic please tell me.

I was just thinking about all of the threads about vampires limitations such as no babies. But then I realized these are all things we have learned outside of the story from Stephenie. There has been discussion after discussion on Bella not being able to experience this amazing moment in her life. But do you think Bella knows that when she is a vampire she can not have a child? She knows many other limitations such as not being able to see her family and friends, but I don't think that Edward has discussed this aspect of being a vampire. What do you think; does she know? If not, what do you think she would do if she found out? Yes, she will want to be with Edward no matter what, but what if raising a child with him was in her plans. Would she be sad?

EDIT: Sorry for the missunderstanding, babies is a major part of the thread, but not the only part. What else do you think Bella doesn't know? What things has Stephenie told us that Edward hasn't told her?
Last edited by The Green Queen on Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]
"Just remember, I came first," he continued.
I couldn't help but laugh. "Well, first [i]is[/i] the worst."
I don't think that made him very happy.
[/size]
firefly
Forks Relationship Analyst

Post by firefly »

It must be Spring. Babies, babies, babies everywhere!

I don't think they've had this specific conversation in the book, but I would think Bella knows that becoming a vampire means no kids -- even if Edward didn't tell her, most of the vampire lore seems to agree on the no kids aspect (Angel and Darla notwithstanding, but they had some help).

As for raising a child -- there is another topic just for that: http://archive.twilightlexicon.com/view ... hp?t=11677 . Started today also, I think. :)
[i]'cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run[/i]
Tennyo
Steph's Metaphysical Devil's Advocate

Post by Tennyo »

Not to insult everyone who writes "Bella get pregnant" fic, but I assumed even before I came on the lex that vampires can't have babies. There is very little lore on vampire who can reproduce conventionally, and I just assumed that being frozen in time will keep you from being able to have children. I think Bella is the type to assume this too. Besides, I don't think she necessarily wants children.

But I agree that I don't think Edward is very giving with the details on vampirism, even when she's pushing for the change. But look at it this way-she knows that she and Edward can't get intimate when she's human, and if vampires could have children together, wouldn't Esme and Carlisle have a whole bunch?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/OpalTennyo/reviseded.gif[/img]
The Green Queen

firefly wrote:It must be Spring. Babies, babies, babies everywhere!

I don't think they've had this specific conversation in the book, but I would think Bella knows that becoming a vampire means no kids -- even if Edward didn't tell her, most of the vampire lore seems to agree on the no kids aspect (Angel and Darla notwithstanding, but they had some help).

As for raising a child -- there is another topic just for that: http://archive.twilightlexicon.com/view ... hp?t=11677 . Started today also, I think. :)

I was just on that thread today, that's where I got this idea. I decided to make this a new thread.

And not just babies though, how much do you think she doesn't know? Because I'm not sure she's basing her knowledge on vampire myth because the Cullen's are so much different from those vampires. No fangs, no coffins, no burning in the sunlight.
[size=75]
[/size]
The Green Queen

Tennyo wrote:Not to insult everyone who writes "Bella get pregnant" fic, but I assumed even before I came on the lex that vampires can't have babies. There is very little lore on vampire who can reproduce conventionally, and I just assumed that being frozen in time will keep you from being able to have children. I think Bella is the type to assume this too. Besides, I don't think she necessarily wants children.

But I agree that I don't think Edward is very giving with the details on vampirism, even when she's pushing for the change. But look at it this way-she knows that she and Edward can't get intimate when she's human, and if vampires could have children together, wouldn't Esme and Carlisle have a whole bunch?

I understand what you're saying. I didn't guess that she couldn't have babies, it could be I'm slightly slow but I just didn't. I wasn't a strong advocate that she was going to have one though, because of Stephenie keeping her novels clean and less racy.

And about Esme and Carlisle, that is a good point. But people can make love and still not have any children. And I'm not sure Bella knows much about their sexual wherabouts. Yes, she probably knows that it has to have happened sometime, but I don't think she would really want to analyze that situation.
[size=75]
[/size]
silly_bella
Experimenting with Rattle Snake Venom
Location: Driving through the mountains with Edward. He was hitching after Bronzehairedgirl kicked him out.

Post by silly_bella »

Tennyo wrote:Not to insult everyone who writes "Bella get pregnant" fic, but I assumed even before I came on the lex that vampires can't have babies. There is very little lore on vampire who can reproduce conventionally, and I just assumed that being frozen in time will keep you from being able to have children. I think Bella is the type to assume this too. Besides, I don't think she necessarily wants children.

firefly wrote:I don't think they've had this specific conversation in the book, but I would think Bella knows that becoming a vampire means no kids -- even if Edward didn't tell her, most of the vampire lore seems to agree on the no kids aspect (Angel and Darla notwithstanding, but they had some help).

Depends on how thorough your vampire lore is. Fred Saberhagen's vampires can have kids. When they do, generally they are twins with one being human, but having some vampire strength and heightened senses, the other being a vampire. And there are plenty of stories out there with vampires having kids -- there's a whole Dhampire series. (Dhampire is what most lore calls a vampire human child). And of course, for the animé fans, there's Vampire Hunter D -- Dracula's own get. Don't forget Blade.

In other vampire universes, new vampires could still produce sperm and eggs, so within the first one-five years (depending on the universe), vamps -- male or female -- could have children. In other universes, male vampires with conservative sexual morals (like Edward) retain the last sperm their bodies produced and the coldness of their bodies keeps it fresh, like a sperm bank. And in the Sonja Blue series, two vampires actually have a child together. (It's a born angel and mates with humans to produce vampires who feed from toher vampires instead of humans.)

Even some ofthe early myths had vampires (usually incubi) producing children with the women they seduced. Some of this would relate to the common understanding of the incubi myth origin -- "It was a demon who seduced me. I had no power over it!" Yeah, folklorists tend think that succubi and incubi were excuses for infidelity, promiscuity or premarital sex. And sometimes that produced a baby.

Given that so many of the common vampire myths have been debunked by the Cullens, Bella may have no idea. Perhaps she thinks that Carlisle and Esme don't want to give birth as they have plenty of other "kids" or that Cullen babies might make it more difficult for them to blend in as the group would become increasingly larger.

And not all vampires are completely frozen in time. For example, Sonja Blue was turned into a vampire at 18 (or maybe 19, it's been a while since I read it) but over the next fifty years or so, she continues to age until she appears to be in her mid-twenties.

Bella knows that she wouldn't age, but she might not know that she couldn't have children -- because there are way too many varieties of vampires producing babies to rule it out based on myth. ASsuming the myths are correct just doesn't work with the Cullens.

However, I have to agree with Tennyo that Bella may not really care about having kids because she spent her childhood raising her mother.
Last edited by silly_bella on Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[url=http://www.cafepress.com/twilightlexicon?CMP=EMC_200711_ffoffer_twilightlexicon][img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee203/cincisigning/Banner4.jpg[/img][/url]
The Green Queen

That's a very interesting post Silly_Bella. I didn't know of a lot of those Vampire myths and it was interesting to hear about them.

Yes, she may not even care about having children, but we still don't know. It's still out in the air, though she hasn't expressed any want for children.
[size=75]
[/size]
Nico
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Nico »

I think it's obvious and Bella is a smart girl.
She knows that Carlisle was looking for company and his solution for the problem was creating new vampires - not finding a female and get her pregnant. And think of Esme, she has lost her child and she's a very motherly type - I'm sure she would have liked to have children with Carlisle if it was possible.

And Bella is good in biology, surely she sees the problem - a vampire does not age, grow, change in any way - that makes a pregnancy impossible. Well, it makes the production of sperms and eggs impossible already, since the vampire body doesn't produce new cells.
pinkpurple07
Learning to Love Green

Post by pinkpurple07 »

I think she might know.

One thing that angers me about Bella is that she is not pushing to seek as much information as possible about vampires. In New Moon, when Alice talked about rules Bella was all like "I wanted to become one of you and you didn't tell me!"

She should research as much as possible in order for her to understand and accept everything that comes with being a vampire. I understand her whole love for Edward and that's why she wants to be one, but she has to see there's more to it.
It was a crippling thing, this sensation that a huge hole had been punched through my chest, excising my most vital organs and leaving ragged, unhealed gashes around the edges that continued to throb and bleed despite the passage of time.
The Green Queen

Nico wrote:I think it's obvious and Bella is a smart girl.
She knows that Carlisle was looking for company and his solution for the problem was creating new vampires - not finding a female and get her pregnant. And think of Esme, she has lost her child and she's a very motherly type - I'm sure she would have liked to have children with Carlisle if it was possible.

And Bella is good in biology, surely she sees the problem - a vampire does not age, grow, change in any way - that makes a pregnancy impossible. Well, it makes the production of sperms and eggs impossible already, since the vampire body doesn't produce new cells.
She is a smart girl, but do you really think she spends all of her time analyzing the possibility of having a child as a vampire. Her main goal right now is just to become a vampire, I'm not sure the thought even crossed her mind. If she really thought about, she could probably figure it out, but she would have to think about it, and right now its not her top priority.
[size=75]
[/size]