Are Vampires Dead?

Welcome to our debate forum where we will have hot topics for you to discuss weekly. Just as a reminder we will only leave topics open for the week and then start a new one.
SparklingDiamond
Wandering Through Town

Post by SparklingDiamond » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:22 pm

December wrote:
This is a love story about two young people who are alive in all the ways that really matter: they laugh, and grieve, and quarrel, and kiss, and love each other so desperately that there is nothing they would not do for one another. Beside this, biological criteria aren't really very much to the point, though it's fun to think about.
So many people have brought tried to quantify and qualify different types of death. Biological death, textbook defifinitions of death, religious interpretations of death, social death, emotional death...

On the other hand, the same with life. Other than the textbook definition, living means many different things to many different people. That's the beauty of it.

It's all in how you look at things. Death is also defined as the end. Or, if you're famliar with Tarot, a new beginning. If you look at these definitions, Bella is definititely going through a death of sorts.

But, I love how December has brought us back the story. What matters to the story? Is Bella mourning her homeostasis when she considers her rebirth into another life? I doubt it. That's not what I would be thinking about. I wouldn't be thinking about the phsyical. I'd be mourning the life I was leaving behind.

That's what is really dying here. Her former existence. Her old family is in a sense dying to her. Her new found friends will be dying to her. Her new best friend already considers her dead. The numerous beauties of human life will be dying to her.

Physically, she will be living on. But emotionally, a part of her will die as she is reborn in to her new life with Edward. She's sacrificing many for one. However, what she's facing is harder than outright dying IMO. When someone dies, it's understood. It's final. We even have definitions to help us understand and rationalize it. The life is celebrated with a wake of a funeral. People need to understand to move on.

What understanding will those Bella leaves behind find? That is what is weighing on her. The closest thing to closure that she could give her family was a wedding instead of a funeral. How strong the bond of love is between Edward and Bella that they can stand together side by side and choose this fate and all of its consequences for the promise of eternal love.

sodapopper323
Settled in Forks

Post by sodapopper323 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:02 am

ETA: I've never seen it a "suicide." Maybe because I'm less on the Cullens=dead side. I see it as in any marriage she's giving up her old "life" for a new one. Yeah, it's a little more drastic than putting on a ring, changing your last name and moving in with a guy but Edward isn't ordinary, neither is the sacrifices required to have a life as his wife.[/quote]

I don't see it as committing suicide either. If it were, then why does Jacob keep saying that he can kill you to Bella. I think it is absolutely beautiful and I can't wait for it to happen. I also commend Stephanie for keeping good morals for all parties throughout the story (i.e. Bella remining a virgin until she and Edward are married). Therfore I don't see it as suicide but changing to be with your soul mate (for eternity). In my opinion she is doing the most selfless act that any one can do for the one they truly love.

whitequeen@heart
Settled in Forks

Post by whitequeen@heart » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:29 am

maybe life and death, at least where vampires are concerned, isn't black and white. in the words of Miracle Max " There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive." a person in a coma, without any brain activity what so ever is till considered "alive", at least as far as the body goes, though they are mentally dead (a.k.a. "brain dead"). so if they are considered "alive", i think vampires are alive also, just in the opposite way. their bodies are dead (except without decomposition) but they are mentally alive.
so, in a way, mostly alive or mostly dead.
"I'll give you passionate...Murder, the ultimate crime of passion" EC

Team Switzerland... with tendencies toward Edward

"First up is something white. Of the the blinding kind. Some of you are most likely thinking that white is not a color and all that tired sort of nonsense. Well, I'm here to tell you that it is. White is without question a color, and personally, I don't think you want to argue with me." as said by Death in the story,The Book Thief

unbelievable
Wandering Through Town

Post by unbelievable » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:29 am

Well if the world was black and white I would say that vampires are dead because obviously, they're heart has stopped, none of their organs work, etc.

But of course our world isn't black and white. Although they're body is dead on the inside, they are still alive. They talk, walk, and do everything just like us. Even though they have died, they can get killed so they aren't completely dead, they can get hurt, and they can still move their body.

So I'm going to have to say that vampires are alive.
[img]http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l127/lillydancer/pics/Kairi.png[/img]
[i]Don't forget: wherever you go, I'm always with you[/i]

"Oh, a sadistic vampire intent on torturing her to death, sure, no problem, she runs off to meet him. An IV, on the other hand..."

Team Ian

<a href="http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1249074/">Check out my fan fiction</a>

Be My Escape
Totally Inside Jacob's Mind
Location: Pushing Amor out of the way so I can Play Pinball with Jacob

Post by Be My Escape » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:33 am

This thread has had some great discussion and I am gald to see veryone so involved!!! Are you ready for the next topic?? Check out the the new thread adn shime in with your thoughts.
[img]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj45/jenlam26/engagment.png[/img]