The books that inspired Breaking Dawn

Discussion area for all things Breaking Dawn
debussygirl
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by debussygirl »

What about Anthony and Cleopatra make it a possibility to be the other work? I doubt that another Shakespeare will be used, wait-did he write that? Or is it just a classic tale that Hollywood made into movies? I'm not sure, I'm only very vaguely acquainted with that one. But from what I can remember I think they die at the end. True, B&E didn't die like in Romeo and Juliet, but that's the only thing I know about Cleopatra and if that connects it I will be incredibly sad!
But I think whoever Bella is doesn't have to be a queen. Just because it's a queen on the cover doesn't mean she is (but she could be all the same). The queen could mean a lot of different things and not relate to the second book at all.
Arg, I just wish we knew what that second books was!!!
kellybell
Settled in Forks

Post by kellybell »

Amethyst_Willow wrote:I think the love-triangle is definitely over.
I agree, I think that the love triangle is probably over. I think that this book will basically be about everyone coming to terms with Bella's decisions. Therefore, I think that the MSND reference will be with the pack. I can't think of how that play could easily fit in with the B&E&J drama without dragging us through another whole book with conflicting love interests (not that the other books were bad because of it, I just think that it's time to move on).
Amethyst_Willow wrote:1) Widely well known title that *everyone* will have read or know the story of. I think we haven't quite been thinking about that the right way, we've been looking at solely what she might have read when actually it's got to be something that loads of people have read, or at least all the cool twilight fans :wink:
I agree with that too. There must be something we're missing. For a moment, I was thinking of the Hunchback of Notre Dame, but that didn't make much sense. I'll go tear apart my movie collection and my bookshelves looking'

Oh and with the Antony & Cleopatra thing, Antony only came around after Julius Caesar was assassinated. If that were the inspiration (which I hope it isn't!) then that could mean that Edward is killed and Bella goes to Jacob (I'm a jacob lover as much as the next, but I would be COMPLETELY heartbroken if edward died). You could take it the other way around and have Jacob killed, but either way, Bella looks very fickle and fairly unlikable with this sort of outcome.
JulesCullen
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by JulesCullen »

kellybell wrote: Oh and with the Antony & Cleopatra thing, Antony only came around after Julius Caesar was assassinated. If that were the inspiration (which I hope it isn't!) then that could mean that Edward is killed and Bella goes to Jacob (I'm a jacob lover as much as the next, but I would be COMPLETELY heartbroken if edward died). You could take it the other way around and have Jacob killed, but either way, Bella looks very fickle and fairly unlikable with this sort of outcome.
I really don't think it would be Antony and Cleopatra. It is far too similar to Romeo and Juliet: Antony kills himself because he believes Cleopatra to be dead, so then she in turn kills herself. SM wouldn't use the same idea twice.

Also a quote from Wikipedia about Cleopatra:"She is frequently vain and histrionic, provoking an audience almost to scorn; at the same time, Shakespeare's efforts invest both her and Antony with tragic grandeur.
[img]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c62/Animefreak222/Banners%20and%20such/gorgonga.jpg[/img]
Yes! I was accepted as an author on Pel's site Ramblingsandthoughts!!!
Mirrorbay2000

Post by Mirrorbay2000 »

I was just reading through comments on the first few pages about Breaking Dawn's cover and "Through the Looking Glass." A lot of people mentioned how similar the two were. I'm not trying to add flame to the fire, but I know for a fact that in a recent article or on her website, someone mentioned that Stephenie played a key role or was a big deciding factor or something for Breaking Dawn.

They were talking about how people were bashing it and said something along the lines of "if only they knew how big of a role Stephenie played in choosing the cover" or something like that. I know that Stephenie's said previously that she didn't have much control over the cover of her books, but I got the feeling that she proposed the idea for the cover.

So if that's true, and Stephenie was the person who thought of it, it very well could have been Through the Looking Glass.
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/n2cuq9.jpg[/img]
thais
Wandering Through Town

Post by thais »

I have no idea what book she could haved used. I think is more likely to be classic; I don't read classics,thay bore me.
debussygirl
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by debussygirl »

Mirrorbay2000 wrote:I was just reading through comments on the first few pages about Breaking Dawn's cover and "Through the Looking Glass." A lot of people mentioned how similar the two were. I'm not trying to add flame to the fire, but I know for a fact that in a recent article or on her website, someone mentioned that Stephenie played a key role or was a big deciding factor or something for Breaking Dawn.

They were talking about how people were bashing it and said something along the lines of "if only they knew how big of a role Stephenie played in choosing the cover" or something like that. I know that Stephenie's said previously that she didn't have much control over the cover of her books, but I got the feeling that she proposed the idea for the cover.

So if that's true, and Stephenie was the person who thought of it, it very well could have been Through the Looking Glass.
Yeah, I was at the SD Host signing and someone brought up a question about the covers and SM said that she had a great deal of influence on BD's cover and she was very pleased with it (hearing this and not seeing the cover yet, I was going crazy-I knew it wasn't going to be another NM).
bella_211
Settled in Forks

Breaking Dawn

Post by bella_211 »

What if Bella doesn't end up with Edward? How terrible would that be? Or how creepy would it be if she decided to stay mortal, but they were still together? Ew! She would be like 50 and he would still be like 17! I am so ancy with anticipation!!!!!!
CuzEdwardLikeBurnettes
Settled in Forks

Post by CuzEdwardLikeBurnettes »

JulesCullen wrote:CuzEdwardLikeBurnettes: we discussed this a few pages back. There are actually three Brontes, and Shakespeare is being used again (in New Moon for Romeo and Juliet and in BD for MSND) so the others could be used again, as well. As I was reminded by others when we discussed this, when Twilight was written, SM had no intention of writing sequels, so she probably didn't write that in. It's a good thougtht though (and you'll see that we actually have considered Chaucer and Faulkner).

Other note: Okay, I've read a few of the tales of King Arthur, but never actually knew there was a love triangle between Arthur, Lancelot, and Guenevere. Shows how much I know...

That just plain scares me... don't cheat on Edward, Bella!
I was too lazy to go through and read all the other post so I didn't realize you guys already talked about it. :oops: (It would probably be smart to do that next time, huh?) You have a good point though, I wasn't thinking about SM not intending sequels...
"I prefer burnettes" ~Edward Cullen

Can't wait for Aug. 2nd!!!!
JulesCullen

Post by JulesCullen »

Not a problem. I rarely go through more than one or two pages to understand what people are talking about.
[img]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c62/Animefreak222/Banners%20and%20such/gorgonga.jpg[/img]
Yes! I was accepted as an author on Pel's site Ramblingsandthoughts!!!
Mirrorbay2000

Post by Mirrorbay2000 »

CuzEdwardLikeBurnettes wrote:
JulesCullen wrote:CuzEdwardLikeBurnettes: we discussed this a few pages back. There are actually three Brontes, and Shakespeare is being used again (in New Moon for Romeo and Juliet and in BD for MSND) so the others could be used again, as well. As I was reminded by others when we discussed this, when Twilight was written, SM had no intention of writing sequels, so she probably didn't write that in. It's a good thougtht though (and you'll see that we actually have considered Chaucer and Faulkner).

Other note: Okay, I've read a few of the tales of King Arthur, but never actually knew there was a love triangle between Arthur, Lancelot, and Guenevere. Shows how much I know...

That just plain scares me... don't cheat on Edward, Bella!
I was too lazy to go through and read all the other post so I didn't realize you guys already talked about it. :oops: (It would probably be smart to do that next time, huh?) You have a good point though, I wasn't thinking about SM not intending sequels...
Ooh, I'm a big King Arthur Fan as well. I forgot about the love triangle. I hope its not KA, that doesn't have the happy ending us Edward fans are looking for.
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/n2cuq9.jpg[/img]