The books that inspired Breaking Dawn

Discussion area for all things Breaking Dawn
Doxys
Learning to Love Green

Post by Doxys »

Amethyst_Willow wrote:I do agree with debussygirl, grouping the Brontë sisters shouldn't be done. However! It's nice that someone actually knows some Faulkner and some Chaucer. How exactly does the Faulkner tale go? I've never studied him.

Geoffrey Chaucer's is well known for his poems and by re-telling the tragic love story of Troilus, a Trojan prince, and Criseyde.

Peace
Doxys
[color=violet]
[img]http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff230/Doxys2/Lexicon-B.jpg[/img]
[/color]

debussygirl
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by debussygirl »

I'be been getting dizzy trying to remember all of the suggested books so far. So I made a list (the list is in chronilogical order from when first suggested). I thought I'd post it for everyone:
1. Tuck Everlasting
2. Anne of Green Gables
3. Peter Pan
4. Jane Eyre
5. Through the Looking Glass
6. Othello
7. The Divine Comedy
8. Princess Bride
9. Little Women
10. Gone With the Wind
11. Emma
12. Sense and Sensibility
13. As I Lay Dying
14. Canterbury Tales
15. Rebecca
16. Forever Dawn
17. Northanger Abbey
18. Wuthering Heights
19. The Iliad
20. The Sound of the Fury
21. Roman de la Rose

Jacob+edward7
Settled in Forks

Book idea

Post by Jacob+edward7 »

Hmm well i do agree with the tuck everlasting(loved the book and movie) i cried so hard lol when i read it, but anyway I also think(even though i have not read it) she mentions that she likes Gone with the wind.
*courtney Cullen*
Edward is my brand of heroine!

Jacob+edward7
Settled in Forks

books idea

Post by Jacob+edward7 »

ya i remember watching a clip of anne of green gables in 4th grade lol it was interesting but i never saw the end lol =) maybe it ties in with breaking dawn.
*courtney Cullen*
Edward is my brand of heroine!

cataclysm
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by cataclysm »

I think the other classic could be beauty and the beast. If jake stays in wolf form for a significant portion of the book (I hope not), then he may need someone to help re-awaken his humanity. If so, I hope that person is someone other than bella, preferably his future mate.

secsec1
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by secsec1 »

i brought up the fact that she seems to be kind of going down the list of authors stated in Twilight as the inspiration for the first 3 books. She mentions the 4 as part of Bella's required reading for school and Austen is also brought up in the book in a differnt reference, but it is stated as and Auther Bella has read.

For a book to have a part in the Twilight Saga, Bella has to have read it, its how SM brings it into the story. Its how SM makes the relationship known to us the reader. We know Bella is well read, but we just know she's read these 5 authors (unless anyone can remember other's being brought up beyond these 5, i cant remember for sure). so yes, SM could very well introduce another author in BD, but she's stuck to that list so far...
"Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit."

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Amethyst_Willow
Wandering Through Town

Post by Amethyst_Willow »

cataclysm wrote:I think the other classic could be beauty and the beast. If jake stays in wolf form for a significant portion of the book (I hope not), then he may need someone to help re-awaken his humanity. If so, I hope that person is someone other than bella, preferably his future mate.
This is a really good idea, I would love that to happen. A lot of people have speculated that Jake might find someone on his travels, which would be nice, but if they ended up being the person that brought him back. Kind of in the way he brought Bella back, but with a happier ending on his part that'd be great!

As to the list of books I really don't think it's Rebecca, or at least I hope it's not. Someone wrote why earlier but for people who don't know: there's this guy, Maxim de Winter and when the book starts his wife has died just recently so he escaped to Monte Carlo where he meets a girl just out of college 18/20 I think. She falls in love with him but he's not that talkative though they go out for drives everyday and then when she's about to leave he asks her to marry him. They go back to his house at Manderley and she feels haunted by the ghost of Rebecca, (not literally, Rebecca was just beautiful, friendly, intelligent and all the things that this girl feels she's not, so she feels she's trying to fill Rebecca's shoes and not coming up to scratch) not helped by the fact that head maid grew up with Rebecca and positively adored her. Anyway it comes to light that actually Maxim killed her because she was a lying cheating nasty lady but when Mrs Danvers, the maid, finds out, she burns down the house and runs away.

So yeah I don't think (and don't want) it to be that book! I read it very recently, just after the twilight books and I really can't see anything similar happening. Apart from possibly Jacob burning down the house! And you don't need Daphne du Maurier for that!

shine_brighter
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by shine_brighter »

^^ Yeah, I summed Rebecca up a few pages back and related it to the point I made about Gone With the Wind, the idea of being unable to return home.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/waitingxforxyou/Robertsiggy2.png[/img]
What if...Edward Cullen met the Little Mermaid?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wN6iFPPKlNg

Amethyst_Willow
Wandering Through Town

Post by Amethyst_Willow »

I was just re-reading one of Stephenie's "articles". About writing New Moon, she mentioned about how hard it was for Bella because Edward wasn't one of the heroes from any other and she pointed out that Gilbert, from Anne of Green Gables, was much more a Jacob than an Edward so I guess that does rather throw Anne out the window unless in reference to Jacob. And yes I know that it's only loosely based but I still feel that unless it's Jacob-centric that book (series of) won't be the ones that inspired it. I had a great idea yesterday and I totally forgot what it was! *sigh*

secsec1
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by secsec1 »

cataclysm wrote:I think the other classic could be beauty and the beast. If jake stays in wolf form for a significant portion of the book (I hope not), then he may need someone to help re-awaken his humanity. If so, I hope that person is someone other than bella, preferably his future mate.
SM does talk about fairytales a lot...and i think some of the same ideas you bring up are more support for MSND being about the Pack.

Only a week left of posting...Lets have some fun :-D
"Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit."

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)