The books that inspired Breaking Dawn

Discussion area for all things Breaking Dawn
Katchen
Wandering Through Town

Post by Katchen »

I think the forst 3 book had the Anne of Green Gables Them running through it. Bella just like Anne had many men asking for her attention. TW bella had guys asking her out she turned them down. Anne had many guys asking her to marry them she turned them down. Then we have Phill telling Anne that she had love wrong and did not know what real love was. Jacab said the same thing basicly to Bella. One of the guys that asks Anne to marry him was Gilbert who she said no to, also ran away like Jacab after being turned down.

Now if SM dicides to use the series to go into BD we might be in trouble. In the series of Anne she is about to marry her prince charming only to find out that she was wrong about who she really loved. Right befor the wedding she hears that Gilbert is sick and dieing. When she hears this news she comes to find that he was her true love and does not go through with her marrage to her price charming and goes to Gilbert. She does not want him to die without knowing the truth that she really does love him. She finds out that Gabrel will be fine and they get married instead.

I also think the book Jane Eyre has been used through out the first 3 books. In NM we have Eward running off doing something he knows is probly not a good idea because Alice is telling him he is wrong to be doing it. But he says he had to try. We also have Bella hearing his voice every time she did something stupid. When he returns she figures out why she was hearing his voice. Because he loved her, and there would be no time or distance that could change that.
Last edited by Katchen on Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katt team Edward

[url=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][img]http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/4980/mybannerglitter3b906a88am6.gif[/img][/url]

iriseyes
Wandering Through Town

Post by iriseyes »

I love all of the ideas that everyone is coming up with. I really really hope that its not Peter Pan or Tuck Everlasting. To me, both of these stories give the girl the choice of remaining a kid forever. That's not the choice that Bella has. She has the choice of living her life with Edward forever as an adult (I'm calling 18 an adult life because that's how Bella and Edward view it). There is no permanent innocense or eternal lack of responsibility. She is making a very adult and serious decision. I also hope that Bella does become a vampire and choose to be with Edward.
"You're not the center of the universe, you know.' My own personal universe was, of course, a different story."

Does anyone have two extra tickets for chicago?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Cheeky
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Cheeky »

Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carrol. I'm almost positive that the BD cover (the red pawn/white queen) is an allusion to it and I wouldn't be surprised if it did turn out to be the second book.

I've been a fan of both Alice books since before I can remember so naturally I freaked when I saw the BD cover. It's amazing. My too favourite pieces of literature coming together... :D
Come into my life, Regress into a dream, We will hide, Build a new reality
Draw another picture of the life you could have had, Follow your instincts
And choose the other path.

debussygirl
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by debussygirl »

Just to let everyone who hasn't read/seen Anne of Green Gables, it's Gilbert, not Gabrel.
But because there are some parallels between the Twilight Saga and the Anne books doesn't mean that it's the book. But here's my arguement: Anne grew up with Gilbert and she loved him, but didn't know it, or didn't want to realize it. Then she met Royal, who she courted for 2 years and then turned down the last minute. Bella knew right away that she loved Edward. There was no one before him. Bella doesn't have a Royal, unless you consider Jacob being him and Bella's just confused, but I don't think so.
Just back to my last argument. Anne is all about discovering love (unless you go on to later books, then it's just about the marriage and children). Bella's already found her love(s).
And I think SM only put the reference of Anne of Green Gables in Eclipse because it took place in the early 1900's, which was when Edward grew up. It was just to make a point, give something familiar to reference to. I personally think that if it was one of the books, she'd probably tell us that one and leave A Midsummer Night's Dream a secret, since she didn't use that one yet.
AND
Through the Looking Glass is not a love story. I think that whatever the book is, it's about love. Just because there's chess pieces in the cover doesn't mean anything. The covers are always symbolic of the message or theme of the book (with the exception of New Moon). The chess pieces are symbolic, not a reflection of the books used. So I don't think it's Alice in Wonderland for that reason.

secsec1
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by secsec1 »

Orson Scott Card--Writes history based sci-fi
Jane Austen--We know, used already as a source of lit.
William Shakespeare--We know, used already as a source of lit.
Maeve Binchy--Adult Fiction set in Ireland, she's contemporary writer.
Charlotte Bronte--Wrote Jane Eyre
Daphne Du Maurier--Wrote Rebecca
L. M. Montgomery--Wrote Anne of Green Gables
Louisa May Alcott--Wrote Little Women
Eva Ibbotson--Writes books like S.M.'s, she's contemporary writer.
William Goldman--Wrote Pricess Bride
Douglas Adams--Wrote Hitchhickers Guide series
Janet Evanovich--Writes mistories, most famous for the Stephenie Plum series.

Its interesting, i think all these writers have had their influence in the Saga. all the authors deal with things that SM has delt with in Twilight and most have very strong women in them, i could deffinatly see the similarities.

Out of all of these, Princess Bride is the book that scares me the least. i was reading some of the descriptions of the books written by these authors and the plots kind of scared me if she's using them as the piece of lit. for BD. But i like Princess Bride, kind of fits the path that Bella and Edward have been on for the rest of the books, and it's about a guy doing everything to get back to the love of his life and loving being hard becuase you have to go through weird swamps and what not to get there. i think Princess Bride could make for some interesting story lines in BD if it's the inspiration. hehe.

Cheeky
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Cheeky »

debussygirl wrote: Through the Looking Glass is not a love story. I think that whatever the book is, it's about love. Just because there's chess pieces in the cover doesn't mean anything. The covers are always symbolic of the message or theme of the book (with the exception of New Moon). The chess pieces are symbolic, not a reflection of the books used. So I don't think it's Alice in Wonderland for that reason.

You say that as if you know with absolute certainty that BD could never be based on something like "Alice in Wonderland".

How can you possibly know that? And how can you know that a cover is not a reflection of the books used? Why couldn't it be? If it is "symbolic" then it could very well be symbolising people and events inside the book and therefore could be a reflection of a book used.

And there are other themes besides "love" within the Twilight Saga...Stephenie never said that she gets her inspiration strictly from love stories.

Oh and by the way the cover art isn't the only reason I think that Breaking Dawn could be based on Through the Looking Glass. Both books have similar themes, heroines, and scenarios.

Stop being so presumptuous.

MelissaO
Settled in Forks

Post by MelissaO »

^^I agree as far as, I don't think we should expect the second reference book to be about love. I mean A Mid-Summer's Night Dream is ALL about love and relationships. I think we may have it covered with that one.

As for Through the Looking Glass, this book deals with power struggles, decision-making (choices), and handling a world where things are not always as they seem. That's something that Bella has had to face in every book, and I'm sure she will continue to do so.

villy
Settled in Forks

Post by villy »

I tend to agree with you, Cheeky. I don't think we can make any claim to any certainties regarding the book's cover or to the intertextuality in Breaking Dawn. But, I am really enjoying reading everybody's suggestions and their theories on why they can see correlations between certain novels.

I didn't immediately think of 'Through the Looking Glass', but the more I think of it, the more I like the idea. I mean, there is the whole Alice as a pawn, the use of chess as a metaphor for fate, the dreams etc. There are definitely some things to think about. Maybe 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' partially influences the events in the novel surrounding the love relationships, while something like 'Through the Looking Glass' is more indicative of the conflict and Bella's fate.

The good news is that we will all know in 37 days! :D

debussygirl

Post by debussygirl »

Hm. I never thought about it like that. Sorry, but when I get into discussions I can get very forceful about my opinions :oops: But I'm not always like that, usually just when I'm arguing with someone that's close to me, so they don't hate me, or now when none of you know who I am.
But I got a new idea for a book: Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (who is also one of SM's favorite authors).
In Little Women, Jo (a girl) and Laurie (a boy) are really good friends, but Laurie wants to be more than friends. Jo refuses him though, and he goes to Europe where Jo's sister Amy is, meets up with her, they fall in love and get married. When they come back Jo has also fallen in love and soon after gets engaged and marries.
This scenario kind of reminded me about Jacob and Bella. Jacob running away is kind of like Laurie going to Europe. So I'm thinking, is what if Jacob is going to find someone? Whether he imprints or not, what if he finds someone else like Laurie did? Then Bella, who's Jo, marries Edward and the rest of the story goes on.

EB fanatic

Post by EB fanatic »

i don't know if anyone has mentioned this but how about Gone With The Wind?