Breaking Dawn Cover

Discussion area for all things Breaking Dawn
Crazy_and_Proud
Buying a Better Raincoat
Location: Texas: wishing there was still vampires down here...

I think......

Post by Crazy_and_Proud »

I think that the red pawn is Bella, (the red symbolising blood, life, ect.) and I can't tell if the one in front of it is a Queen or A king...I think its the Queen so going with that assumption It would also be Bella as a vampire...overshadowing her past self and becomeing something different more beautiful, and powerful, but no more blood (hence the white) Soooo thats my disection of the cover's inner meaning...
""But I am a werewolf," he said unwillingly . "And he is a vampire," he added with obvious revulsion.
"And I'm a Virgo!" I shouted, exasperated."

(TEAM EDWARD ALL THE WAY)
sw33theart521
Settled in Forks

Breaking dawn cover

Post by sw33theart521 »

Well honestly... this cover sort of confuses me and puts me in thinking mode. Ok so what have we got here? 2 pieces of a Chess game on a chess board. the chess board is actually viewed at a side angle. so the 2 pieces are a Red pawn and a White queen. red pawn may symbolize the old bella and her frail human self being conquered or overcome by the new white queen.... the most POWERFUL piece of a chess game (which would be her!). remember that on the cover of her books so far, all the RED colors/objects represent Bella in a certain stage. (i will write a thread on this so please feel free to reply!)

so basically.... the battle between the pawn and the Queen is close, but of course look where the queen is standing on the chess board. almost victorious.
JulesCullen
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by JulesCullen »

I haven't been following this thread extremely closely, so I probably missed a whole discussion on this, but:

I was always thinking of the two pieces as two different characters (Bella/Jacob, Bella/Edward, or Edward/Jacob), but now that you mention that it they could be the same character [Bella], it sounds like a good idea. I really like the idea of the vampire-self being overshadowing the human-self, wich has now faded into the background. So now there are even more possibilities to what it could refer to!
[img]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c62/Animefreak222/Banners%20and%20such/gorgonga.jpg[/img]
Yes! I was accepted as an author on Pel's site Ramblingsandthoughts!!!
Bella_Cullen_13
Warmed by Jacob-heat

Post by Bella_Cullen_13 »

I thought the chess board was symbolic to 2 things. 1. Choice of several life/game changing moves. 2. Deception. Mainly to decieve the opponent to achieve your goal at all costs, making sacrifices.

I think Bella is the queen, the most powerful piece, the most controlling & has the most choice. It can make any move it wants & is the most valuable to lose.

Jacob could be the red pawn if you interpret it as the target, the enemy or something to conquer. A powerless position in comparison with few moves.

Edward could be the red pawn if you interpret it as at the Queen's mercy. The queen decides the pawns fate ultimately. It isnt a threat so much so it wouldnt be a target. So the Pawn isnt dangerous & the Queen would have no reason to 'hurt' the pawn. It could be interpreted as a piece to the Queen's will in a chess sense.
[img]http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n44/yoshiracer13/Bands/metr.png[/img][img]http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n44/yoshiracer13/Bands/2qveh3o.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n44/yoshiracer13/Bands/MetroStationCalifornia.jpg[/img]
mlola619

Post by mlola619 »

so how upset would you all be if the cover just ended up being something SM decided to use to drive us all absolutely insane debating countless hours over what the cover might really mean? I bet she's sitting around at home thinking *bwahaha; i've successfully driven 327482397 over the edge- what shall i do next!?*

i don't know about you all, but i'm pretty sure i'd have a serious outburst of utter rage if the cover of this book meant absolutely nothing in the end (like NM) :shock:
Cause I've been waiting for a miracle, and I'm not leaving
TwilightObsessions
Wandering Through Town

ZOMG!!!!!

Post by TwilightObsessions »

Major breakthrough.

Everybody keeps saying that it's a white kiong. It's not. It's white, yeah, but that's a QUEEN. I think that since Bella's so pale, she's represented as white. Since she's the main character, she's represented as the most importans piece of the game 9even over the king. the queen is the defender, and the king is the vulnerable key. I'm noticing how the queen and king would relate to Bell and Edward, since edward protects her and bella's vulnerable, but I think it's going to switch and something's going to happen with Edward.

The red pawn represents Jacob. His russet-red skin made me immediately think of him. Have you noticed he's the 'pawn"? That would ceratainly fit him.
And have you also noticed that the color of Jacob's skin is VERY similar to the color of Edward's hair? Some connection... I suppose maybe that Edward couls be the red pawn but that's very unlikely.
This sounds so corny but I'm tthinking that the black-and-white shessboard represents bella's choice: Edward or Jacob?
Or it couls be her choice of Vampire or human?
~And so the lion fell in love with the lamb... What a stupid lamb... What a sick, masochistic lion...~A sadistic vampire intent on torturing her to death? No problem, she runs off to meet him. An IV, on the other hand...
JulesCullen

Post by JulesCullen »

I think there is a definite meaning to the pieces chosen (queen and pawn), but I'm not sure that there is much significance in the red for the pawn. She might just have chosen red over black to suit her colour theme. I think most of the meaning lies in the amount of power/value in the pieces.
[img]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c62/Animefreak222/Banners%20and%20such/gorgonga.jpg[/img]
Yes! I was accepted as an author on Pel's site Ramblingsandthoughts!!!
KT
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by KT »

JulesCullen wrote:
This sounds so corny but I'm tthinking that the black-and-white shessboard represents bella's choice: Edward or Jacob?
Or it couls be her choice of Vampire or human?
That might be stretching it, but I'll go with you on this one. If it were to symbolize a choice I think it would be human/vampire because she already made the Edward/Jacob choice in Eclipse (even though I think she chose wrong :x ), but she seemed less sure of the changing-into-a-vampire decision. I honestly think she doesn't want to be changed. She's confusing being with Edward 'forever' with being immortal, which in her mind = becoming a Vampire, but it's quite clear that she doesn't want to kill people or thirst for human blood...

Here's to hoping (even against the odds) that she makes the right choice this time!
"I saw the whole thing- our whole life. And I want it bad, Jake, I want it all."
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/Katie914/JacobBlack.jpg[/img]
"He's like a drug for you, Bella."... "I would have been healthier for you. Not a drug; I would have been the air, the sun."
Augusta
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Augusta »

Oh my gosh! Can you belive that Stephenie helped design the cover. I just read it in the Entertainment Weekly article. It makes me look at it differently. I wasn't a big fan of it before... but i like it now. I'm not sure what it means though... I can't decide on what I think it means.
"Yeah. I had an adrenaline rush," he stumbles. "They're very common. You can Google it."

My social Calendar is being planned around Breaking Dawn at this moment.

I mite not have any money to do anything after reading Stphenie's books.
SparklePixie

Post by SparklePixie »

Augusta wrote:Oh my gosh! Can you belive that Stephenie helped design the cover. I just read it in the Entertainment Weekly article. It makes me look at it differently. I wasn't a big fan of it before... but i like it now. I'm not sure what it means though... I can't decide on what I think it means.
I never did understand why people didn't like this cover. I love it because if you take into consideration that this is the final book of the saga and all loose ends must be tied up it works. Chess is a very complicated game of strategy, one wrong move can cost you dearly.

I had a feeling that for this cover Stephenie would have taken part in its creation. And if that is so then I think it is possible that the red could represent Bella as well as the white one. (Does this make sense?) Throughout the books red has always represented Bella or some conflict that she is having to deal with. If its possible for Bella to view Jacob as Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, why can't she be viewed in the same light? The humanity (red) vs. vampire and all the tendencies that come along with such a title (white).
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v168/Colebe/alicejasper.gif[/img]