Breaking Dawn Cover

Discussion area for all things Breaking Dawn
pwtf
Settled in Forks

Post by pwtf »

ReneeMonty wrote:First i think it's a really nice cover. :D

Now what's on it you see a chess bord, a white queen and a red pawn. I see that the queen is on the Black part of the bord and the pawn is on the white ones. So that means they are batteling against each other if you play a chess game. You can also see that the two don't belong together because they don't belong on the same part of the bord! So if you think the queen as Bella and the pawn as Jacob that means they won't be together but they both now of each other that they are there. I think Bella's feels bad about leaving Jake behind and that she can't be his friend, from Jake's site it's the same about the friend thing but he loses Bella to Edward. So they feel bad but they won't be together. The whole chess game means to me that it's going to be very difficult again to bella, because chess is a difficult game so i interpretate that as a lot of new problems to overcome. 8)
It doesn't necessarily mean that they're against each other. The spaces alternate black/white across the board and there is a whole row of pawns. Pawns will be on both white and black spaces. Plus, the queen can move virtually wherever and travels on both white and black spaces. So, you cannot state for certain that the two pieces are opposing...we've pretty much all just assumed that.
There's something strange about that 'Sop' sign...
miss_v
Settled in Forks

NM cover and BD Cover

Post by miss_v »

I noticed through reading some posts that people are still confused about the meaning of the New Moon cover. My sister had a really good idea (she is pretty smart!). And I must say I agree with her. Thought I would share it with everyone.

Edward refers to bella smelling like a flower, to him she is delicate and very breakable, fragile if you will, much like a flower. In New Moon she is beyond fragile...mentally...physically due to Edward leaving. So the flower on the cover is symbolic for Bella. Also it is pointing down which is indicitive of wilting. (Which Bella is certainly doing in New Moon.) She is falling apart and makes references in the book about the "hole" in her chest and how it is a gaping ragged wound that is constantly bleeding around the edges. Every time it starts to get healed something rips it open to start the pain and bleeding all over again. So the red on the edges of the flower show how Bella is bleeding and hurting. The fact that the flower is ruffled around the edges is indicitive of how ripped apart and ragged she feels.

I hope this makes sense to everyone. :shock: I know it is a bit to think about.

As far as the cover art for Breaking Dawn. I have yet to come up with something that is not already posted! :wink:
To put meaning in ones life may end in madness,
But life without meaning is the torture
Of restlessness and vague desire --
It is a boat longing for the sea and yet afraid.
-Edgar Lee Masters
ObsessiveCullenDisorder
Wandering Through Town

Post by ObsessiveCullenDisorder »

Is anyone but me worried about the "back cover" part of the cover? I'm terrified that it isn't actually Edward that she is talking to here. I mean, doesn't she already know they belong together? Why would she be surprised by the sudden rightness and perfection of the moment?

I'm probably looking to deeply into it, but until someone explains all the reasons it has to be Edward I'm going to feel sick to my stomach. :(
BookCrazy
Settled in Forks

Re: NM cover and BD Cover

Post by BookCrazy »

miss_v wrote:I noticed through reading some posts that people are still confused about the meaning of the New Moon cover. My sister had a really good idea (she is pretty smart!). And I must say I agree with her. Thought I would share it with everyone.

Edward refers to bella smelling like a flower, to him she is delicate and very breakable, fragile if you will, much like a flower. In New Moon she is beyond fragile...mentally...physically due to Edward leaving. So the flower on the cover is symbolic for Bella. Also it is pointing down which is indicitive of wilting. (Which Bella is certainly doing in New Moon.) She is falling apart and makes references in the book about the "hole" in her chest and how it is a gaping ragged wound that is constantly bleeding around the edges. Every time it starts to get healed something rips it open to start the pain and bleeding all over again. So the red on the edges of the flower show how Bella is bleeding and hurting. The fact that the flower is ruffled around the edges is indicitive of how ripped apart and ragged she feels.
Ooo, that's an interesting interpretation that I haven't heard before and I think it totally fits. And again, you notice how the red object is relating to Bella?

Lots of good theories here to keep me thinking until August!
ReneeMonty

Post by ReneeMonty »

pwtf wrote:

Now what's on it you see a chess bord, a white queen and a red pawn. I see that the queen is on the Black part of the bord and the pawn is on the white ones. So that means they are batteling against each other if you play a chess game. You can also see that the two don't belong together because they don't belong on the same part of the bord! So if you think the queen as Bella and the pawn as Jacob that means they won't be together but they both now of each other that they are there. I think Bella's feels bad about leaving Jake behind and that she can't be his friend, from Jake's site it's the same about the friend thing but he loses Bella to Edward. So they feel bad but they won't be together. The whole chess game means to me that it's going to be very difficult again to bella, because chess is a difficult game so i interpretate that as a lot of new problems to overcome. 8)
It doesn't necessarily mean that they're against each other. The spaces alternate black/white across the board and there is a whole row of pawns. Pawns will be on both white and black spaces. Plus, the queen can move virtually wherever and travels on both white and black spaces. So, you cannot state for certain that the two pieces are opposing...we've pretty much all just assumed that.
But they don't have the same color! Allright red isn't a chess color at all... But if you see it from chess point every 'team' has his one color. Two different colors are against each other, you will never see two different colors together!
ladylucyfrr
Settled in Forks

Post by ladylucyfrr »

Okay so... I'd a white queen and a red pawn. I looked up info about the pieces of wikipedia and this is what I found:

"The queen is the most powerful piece in the game of chess.

In the historical ancestors of chess, shatranj, the queen was a fairly weak piece called a fers or vizier, only able to move or capture one square in a diagonal direction. The modern queen's move arose in 15th century Europe. Ordinarily the queen is slightly more powerful than a rook and a bishop together, while slightly less powerful than two rooks. It is almost always disadvantageous to exchange the queen for a piece other than the enemy's queen.

The queen is at her most powerful when the board is open, when the enemy king is not well-defended, or when there are loose (i.e. undefended) pieces in the enemy camp. Because of her long range and ability to move in more than one direction, the queen is well-equipped to execute forks.

Beginners often develop the queen as soon as possible, in the hopes of plundering the enemy position and possibly even delivering an early checkmate. This strategy is disadvantageous against experienced players. With no other pieces developed, an attack by the queen alone can be easily repelled. Moreover, because the queen is too valuable to exchange for a lesser piece, the defender can often gain time and space by threatening an exposed queen and forcing her to retreat."

Blah blah here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_%28chess%29

and...

"The pawn is the weakest and most numerous piece in the game of chess, representing infantry, or more particularly armed peasants or pikemen.

Pawns are unusual in movement and use. Unlike all the other pieces, pawns may not move backwards.

The pawn structure mostly determines the strategic flavor of a game. While other pieces can usually be regrouped more favorably if they are temporarily badly placed, a poorly placed pawn cannot retreat to a more favorable position."

link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pawn_%28chess%29

Okay so... I kind of get the pawn but there's a lot more info that I didn't want to read. But, I do kind of get the queen... I'm not going to say who the "queen" in the book will be. But there obviously is going to be some sort of fight and I've bolded some things that I think may pertain to Bella in the fight and what could possibly happen. Really, it's all just theories... Take what you want from it. And I apologize for how long this was haha :D
Lady L.
Hopelessly_Obsessed
Settled in Forks

Post by Hopelessly_Obsessed »

So I think that the cover is relevant to the book. First of all, I think there is going to be a huge war, though between who, I am unclear. This battle is going to be one of those where everymove effects the outcome. Every move has to be placed just perfectly in order to win.
Rooting for Edward. Jacob has to go.
The Weasel
Completely Dazzled!

Post by The Weasel »

Doxys wrote:I think it is not Bella as a vampire. The pawn and the queen both are reflected. In New Moon when Bella has the dream in the first chapter, Bella does not see Edward reflected in the mirror.

Peace
Doxys
I know this was said several pages ago but I went to bed and woke up and this thread had gained about seven or eight pages.

That was just a dream, there was no significance to him not reflecting in the mirror, it was something she probably read during the research she did on the internet. If you remember, Edward tells her that's all myths and he even has a photo taken of him (which is a big no-no in normal vampire myth that goes along with the no reflection thing). It is safe to safe vampires in the Twilight world have reflections. Not to mention Bella SEES his reflection in her rearview mirror of her car several times.
<a href="http://lesleycullen.livejournal.com">LiveJournal</a>|<a href="http://www.myspace.com/lesleycullen">MySpace</a>|<a href="http://ppc.facebook.com/p.php?id=170501955&l=x26f9b6c6c">Facebook</a>
Kristin J. DeMarcki-Carr
June 29, 1984 - June 16, 2008
Summer J. Sopko
July 7, 1982 - December 28, 2006
ladylucyfrr
Settled in Forks

Post by ladylucyfrr »

ObsessiveCullenDisorder: I wouldn't be too worried. I HIGHLY doubt that Stephenie would spend all this time writing about the undying love between Edward and Bella only to have them not end up together in the end. Considering all they've both been through to stay together. [it's kind of like all the HP fans freaking out over the possibility of Harry dieing... after 6 books, why would she kill him in the 7th?]
Lady L.
pwtf
Settled in Forks

Post by pwtf »

ReneeMonty wrote:
pwtf wrote:

But they don't have the same color! Allright red isn't a chess color at all... But if you see it from chess point every 'team' has his one color. Two different colors are against each other, you will never see two different colors together!
Good point...though like you said...red isn't a chess color at all. Who knows though...maybe they're not even against each other...they're like evolutions of the other or somthing. We'll never know...well....until Stephenie tells us what it means on her website months from now...
There's something strange about that 'Sop' sign...