Charlie and Renee's Reaction

Discussion area for all things Breaking Dawn
SparklePixie
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by SparklePixie »

The reaction that surprised me was Renee. I was shocked that she was so willing to give her permission, especially considering her thoughts on marriage at a young age. Though I think seeing how Edward and Bella act while they visited her played a huge factor in the outcome of her decision.

Charlie's reaction was priceless. I truly expected him to grab his gun and threaten to shoot Edward if he didn't get out of his house. LMAO! I didn't expect the laughing, but I did expect him to ask if she was PG because of their request to marriage at such a 'young' age.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v168/Colebe/alicejasper.gif[/img]
grizzlies_galore
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by grizzlies_galore »

I dont know I think there's a difference between being supportive, and passive. There seemed to be a lack of response from Renee. I mean wasn't it Renee who said something like only responsible, mature people think about marriage after college, or something like that.
I mean after years of pounding that idea into Bella, you'd think she'd come up with a more persuasive argument against getting married right out of high school.

But then again it is Renee, she is pretty unpredictable, and I'm happy she didnt try to persuade Bella, it might have caused some major issues for her and Edward.. But it just seemed out of place...
“Penguins. Lovely.â€
McKay

Post by McKay »

Well, I guess Renee felt she was wrong about all that. Most people think that early marriages don't last, but there are lots of sucessful ones out there I'm sure. I think Renee is mature enough to know when she is wrong. I think she gets the feeling that Edward and Bella are a very wise couple. She did say that her little middle-aged daughter found a little middle-aged finace or something like that. :lol:
[img]http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/6141/twipunksbannercopynj8.jpg[/img][color=limegreen]
Proud Member of RDP,[/color] [color=cyan]Team Bella, and[/color][color=yellow] The Jasper House![/color]
[url=http://public.aregner.com/bubblewrap.swf][color=pink]OMG Bubble Wrap!!! Clicky[/color][/url]
BiteyBitey
Settled in Forks

Renee's reaction to the wedding announcement

Post by BiteyBitey »

I thought Renee's reaction was quite interesting, in that it was actually Bella's reaction telling Renee that was most interesting.(if that makes sense)

I'm not sure if this has been covered before, but as i read over the part where Bella tells her mum, i couldn't help but feel Bella wanted/needed Renee to talk her out of the marriage. It seemed to me that Bella was convinced that Renee wouldn't be happy about the marriage, and this could have helped fuel Bella's ongoing 'Oh but i love him, you don't understand, nothing can tear us apart, i'll show you' vibe shes had almost the entire series. Her angsty side could help propel her toward marriage because she thinks her mother will not approve.
With this in mind, i felt very uncomfortable with the idea that they (edward and bella) won't get married(and heaven forbid, she choose Jacob. boo hiss.). However, after consoling myself and deciding that they probably will after all, i still kept coming back to Bella looking for answers from her mum and not getting the ones she wanted.

With Bella being so anti-wedding, i thought she would have sought a last ditch effort from Renee so that she could get out of the wedding. But it never came. Instead we have Renee telling her the differences between the two of them, the fact that Bella was never really a child (***Note a HUGE foreshadowing for breaking dawn!!!***) and that it is right for her to be this adult at such a young age. Moreover, she's happy for her!
For the first time, Bella doesn't have her mother being negative about Edward and i think this actually challenges Bella's feelings for him and the ones she has for Jacob (which is no surprise, but you know, i had to say something here!) once more.
It also makes me think that we have to go through the 'who do i choose' moment again, which personally, i couldn't go through again - how many coronary's can one reader take??

i think Renee's reaction was great, slightly unexpected, but quite 'sensible' in terms of what we are dealing with. It was Bella's reaction to this that makes me even more excited about reading BD.
You're so absurd
malihaa01
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by malihaa01 »

i think both charlie and renee's reactions were expected.
and totally just.
well.. renees was a little bit of a surprise.. but once she said why it made perfect sense.

for charlie: really? could we expect anything less? very predictable. but of course, he cant do anything about it.. or say no. he knows how good Edward is.. and Bella IS 18. so well .. he'll be there for bella.

for renee: shes a mother. she thinks it too early for bella, but she is her mother! she will be supportive LIKE A GOOD MOM. and by the way, she knows how good Edward is for bella.. and how they match PERFECTLY together. their love is pure.

(gags, i hate bella though)

so yeah. both their reaction was fine. :)
--maliha

[img]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn80/femmefatale1990/orig-3745341.jpg[/img]
I stole james' cookies
Wandering Through Town

Post by I stole james' cookies »

I thought Renee's reaction was to be expected because we already knew that she trusts Bella to make the right decisions and to be mature about it.She knows how they love each other and that they will be happy together.
I love the way Charlie is so grumpy and annoyed with Renee now and how she's the 'traitor'!I did think he would actually shoot Edward though or at least threaten to.
|------[|███████]=----
You are exactly my brand of heroin!

I stabbed Jacob...But Alice told me to do it
malihaa01

Post by malihaa01 »

I stole james' cookies wrote:I did think he would actually shoot Edward though or at least threaten to.
i wished that he would! that would be hilarious!

:D
--maliha

[img]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn80/femmefatale1990/orig-3745341.jpg[/img]
Our Icy Affection
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by Our Icy Affection »

In a way, I wasn't really surprised at Charlie's reaction. It was like he knew this was coming. Maybe he sees some of himself in Edward (HA!) and some of Renee in Bella (not so HA) and how their love was. He probably thought that Bella had made her choice and that nothing he could say could change her mind and he respects her decision. This is her life, and Charlie sees that. I agree, Renee's reaction was quite strange. I was at least expecting an ultimatum. I mean, the woman usually goes berserk when she doesn't respond. Maybe she doesnt really care. Or maybe Renee cares so much and sees how much Edward and Bella are attracted that she doesnt see that they'll get "divorced" (HA!). This also could be a message from SM that something much more important will happen in the book that this won't even be a big deal compared. I hope not!!!
malihaa01

Post by malihaa01 »

Our Icy Affection wrote:I agree, Renee's reaction was quite strange. I was at least expecting an ultimatum. I mean, the woman usually goes berserk when she doesn't respond. Maybe she doesnt really care. Or maybe Renee cares so much and sees how much Edward and Bella are attracted that she doesnt see that they'll get "divorced" (HA!). This also could be a message from SM that something much more important will happen in the book that this won't even be a big deal compared. I hope not!!!
i dont think renee's reaction was that strange at all. surprising, but not strange. bella and edward are soul mates (in the Twilight Universe... dont get me started on that again, haha) while, renee and charlie was more of a high school romance, bella and edward are as serious as you can get with two people that love each other. and we know that renee is very perceptive - she sees how true and real there love is. that is what she says on the phone. so i think, everything is well on the reaction front. :)
--maliha

JulesCullen

Post by JulesCullen »

I think Renee realizes that Bella deserves her freedom. Bella was really the adult in that relationship, but she let Renee choose whoever she thought was best. So Renee figured that Bella should have the same freedom. They are kind of equals.

I kind of want to hear other people's reactions as well. Does the rest of Forks feel exactly as Bella predicted towards her marriage? I'm sure Lauren had a lot to say on that one...
[img]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c62/Animefreak222/Banners%20and%20such/gorgonga.jpg[/img]
Yes! I was accepted as an author on Pel's site Ramblingsandthoughts!!!