Twilight Translations

News and announcements pertaining to Stephenie Meyer.
Cocoa
Clarifying Base Running for Edward

Twilight Translations

Post by Cocoa »

As the popularity of Twilight grows, it continues to be translated into many languages. With that translation can come difficulties. And some...humorous results. But it is all in an effort to bring Twilight to the masses. Discuss your translations here.

NinaTherese
Settled in Forks

Post by NinaTherese »

Well, I threw a fit in the shop when I went to get Eclipse (in English, of course, as all my books) and saw that Twilight had been translated into Norwegian. I've already been a crusader against the Norwegian versions of Harry Potter as the tranlator keeps changing people's names (not the major characters, but those who are mentioned in passing by have different names in each book) and how the books are written in such a childly manner. But, at least the titles are OK...

Well, I see the Twilight cover, which is just like the american one with the apple, and I thought it was the English one and went to see as I figured Eclipse would be close by.
Angst.
The Norwegian title is Evighetens Kyss, which, horribly, has been translated into "The Kiss of Eternity" !!! Siriusly! Who comes up with that? Why not name it "Skumring", which is the Norwegian word for twilight?

I don't know about you, but I would NOT ever in the history of the world pick up a book called The Kiss of Eternity or take it seriously at all!
"I'd rather play Myshuno with a pack of Llamas!"

Sansa
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by Sansa »

In Spanish, the three books have been translated with the same title and cover, as the original one. These are the titles:
-Crepúsculo (Twilight)
-Luna Nueva (New Moon)
-Eclipse (Eclipse)
And with "Crepúsculo" there is a subtitle: un amor peligroso, which means "a dangerous love". Besides that, they have translated some characters' names: Caius is Cayo, Marcus is Marco, and imprinting is "imprimación".
"Unfortunately, the clock is ticking, the hours are going by. The past increases, the future recedes. Possibilities decreasing, regrets mounting."

Joanie1119
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Physically: Philadelphia - Mentally: Goodness knows...

Post by Joanie1119 »

Yes, I have lately been curious. Exactly how many languages has this series been translated into? And would anyone happen to know which ones exactly?
"Anyone without a soulfriend is like a body without a head" -The Tain
Christened by sistergrimm: VMT Queen of Creativity & Randomness! Yay!!!

Kizmet
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Kizmet »

Joanie1119 wrote:Yes, I have lately been curious. Exactly how many languages has this series been translated into? And would anyone happen to know which ones exactly?
On the back of Crepúsculo it says that Twilight has been translated into 20 languages, but I don't know which ones or how up to date that information is (for example, it probably doesn't include Greek).

Sansa, it makes perfect sense that they've translated the word for imprinting - because imprinting really is a word outside the Twilight universe. It doesn't only refer to werewolves. So it would be translated just like the rest of the text.
[img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/renarthien/lookafterheart.jpg[/img]

Sansa
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by Sansa »

I know the word makes sense, it's only that it shocked me, because I first read Eclipse in English, and I got used to "imprinting".
And well, about other translations I know of Twilight are the French ones. They've changed the titles:
-Fascination (the same word in English - Twilight)
-Tentation (the same word - New Moon)
-Hésitation (the same word, too - Eclipse)
"Unfortunately, the clock is ticking, the hours are going by. The past increases, the future recedes. Possibilities decreasing, regrets mounting."

iwantanedward
Learning to Love Green

Post by iwantanedward »

I just got the french version of Twilight from the library and I'm going to read it and see if it's any good.

NinaTherese
Settled in Forks

Post by NinaTherese »

So basically only the Norwegian translator was stupid enough to name the book "The Kiss of Eternity"...

Always. It's ALWAYS the Norwegian versions... That's it! I'm going to be a book translator! :D
"I'd rather play Myshuno with a pack of Llamas!"

Kissa
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by Kissa »

Cocoa, has the original thread for this topic disappeared too?! Oh geez... Well, I see another Norwegian's come aboard the Lexicon. Welcome! :) I've already ranted about the Norwegian translation numerous times, and so has the other three (that I know of) Norwegians at the site, but apparently that thread's gone. :? I'm glad to see we're not the only ones who feel that way though! We're hoping the new translator that currently is working on New Moon will do a much better job... At least she seems to have the qualifications for it. *crosses fingers*
[url=http://www.ramblingsandthoughts.com/twilight/viewstory.php?sid=252][img]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q89/Kissa001/Banner-avie/KissaandCocoa.jpg[/img][/url]

Autumn
Settled in Forks

Post by Autumn »

Slovenian translation isn't that bad. The title is Somrak, which actually means Twilight. No names are translated, they stayed original, but it's kind of funny, because I read the English versions first and it's strange when your reading in Slovene and then suddenly Forks pop in. lol Of course the original is better than translation, but I don't really have any bad things to say about our translation.