Chapter Nineteen: Selfish

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Eclipse.
fantasia
Learning to Love Green

Post by fantasia »

1. Is it selfish of Bella to ask Edward to sit out the battle, knowing that it will increase the danger to the rest of his family?

Argh. I will be honest, I did think it was selfish. I understand her reasons for asking him, and I probably would have done the same, but that doesn't change my mind. I can only imagine how guilty she would have felt if something happened to any one of his family members, how guilty HE would feel.

2. When Bella asks Edward to sit out the battle for her, he looks into her eyes for a long time. She sees his eyes "tighten with some emotion I couldn't read" before he picks up the phone to call Alice and make the necessary arrangements. What do you think was going through his mind?

All I could assume he was thinking of there were all the times he's left her with other people, or alone, and bad things happened because of it. That, or he was deciding whether to stand by the family that's been with him for so long, or the girl he now loves. A difficult choice, I'm sure.

3. Do Edward and Alice really believe the danger from the newborns is as trivial as they say, or are they trying to make Bella feel better?

I think it's half/half. They definitely had the advantage in that situation, there's no doubt about that. I also think they played it up just a little bit for Bella's benefit, as well. They know she's a huge worrywart, and they're always trying to make it easier for her!

4. Why do you think Bella feels it's more like being with the old Jake -- "easy, effortless, as natural as breathing in and out" -- when he is in wolf form?

I think Bella feels that way because there's nothing to hide anymore. She sees him in his truest form, and they're both extremely comfortable with that, maybe too comfortable. The Cullens know about him, and he knows about the Cullens. There are no more barriers to their relationship, and they can just...go back to what it was like before everything changed.
[b][color=black]Team Edward!![/b][/color]

[url=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][img]http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/4394/mybanner485956bbe83deid5.jpg[/img][/url]

Edwardismyman
Settled in Forks

Chapter 19 discussion questions

Post by Edwardismyman »

1. Is it selfish of Bella to ask Edward to sit out the battle, knowing that it will increase the danger to the rest of his family?
Yes I do believe that it was selfish of Bella to ask Edward to sit out the battle. But now knowing what we know in the chapter we know that in an essense it was "fate" that made her selfish. If Edward hadn't been there then Victoria would have killed her.
2. When Bella asks Edward to sit out the battle for her, he looks into her eyes for a long time. She sees his eyes "tighten with some emotion I couldn't read" before he picks up the phone to call Alice and make the necessary arrangements. What do you think was going through his mind?
I believe that the thoughts that were running through his mind were, one- I can't believe that you're asking me to do this, two- I can't just leave you, three- what will everyone else think. Four- I will not abandon you....not again.

3. Do Edward and Alice really believe the danger from the newborns is as trivial as they say, or are they trying to make Bella feel better?
They are deffinately trying to make Bella feel better. She is always so worried about everyone else and not her own safety. So Edward and Alice were both trying not to make Bella more scared.

4. Why do you think Bella feels it's more like being with the old Jake -- "easy, effortless, as natural as breathing in and out" -- when he is in wolf form?
I think she feels like it is easier to be with the old jake, when he's in wolf form because he doesn't have to talk and she doesn't have to hear his thoughts on her "bloodsucker" boyfriend. He is just loving when he's the dog.

Commiting it to memory
Settled in Forks

Post by Commiting it to memory »

Kind of, but I thought it was better that atleast, if ANYTHING Edward will protect her.

I have no clue. Maybe sadness that he would miss it. Then agony when he thinks about when he left her.

Both.

I think because he can't talk. Or try to kiss her. Hahaha kidding. I have no idea.
"But," Edward went on, "If I had been able to take your place last night, it would not have made the top ten of the best nights of my life. Dream about that."

<b><i>BURN.</b></i>

missjulie
Wandering Through Town

Post by missjulie »

Many thanks to December for her help with this chapter!

1. Is it selfish of Bella to ask Edward to sit out the battle, knowing that it will increase the danger to the rest of his family? No. Everyone has told her there is no need to worry, so asking Edward to sit out should seem like a reasonable request. Edward is essentially forced to sit out, if he were to object Bella would think there was something very wrong about the odds of the battle. I think Edward is selfish for not wanting to sit out of the fight.

This relates to my last answer, he doesn't want to sit out, for obvious reasons, but he also knows he needs to stay with Bella to protect her from her own imagination. I think he knew what she was doing, playing her trump card to make him stay. He feels guilty, but complies. Bella is truly the most dangerous character in the series.

Both. They are aware that Alice's visions could change at any moment, but they have to keep Bella from being stupid, so they play it off like no big deal. They are very confident that they can beat back the newborns. It's unforeseen dangers that they don't ascribe to worrying Bella about.

4. Why do you think Bella feels it's more like being with the old Jake -- "easy, effortless, as natural as breathing in and out" -- when he is in wolf form? Jake's character until this point has been very 'dog' like. He represented loyalty for Bella when she felt betrayed. When Edward comes back and thus poses a threat to the Jake/Bella relationship, Jake becomes defensive (for other obvious reasons as well). When he is a wolf, Bella is reminded of his friendship before Edward came back.

X_fanpiregirl_x
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter Nineteen: Selfish

Post by X_fanpiregirl_x »

1.Is it selfish of Bella to ask Edward to sit out the battle, knowing that it will increase the danger to the rest of his family?
-Yes it is an extremely selfish thing to do but like someone else on the board mentioned is it a bad selfish? Its horrible that she makes him choose between her and his family but everyone has to be a bit selfish in thier life or they will end up miserable. How can anyones relationship work if they don't ask the other for something once in a while? Bella practically died when edward left her in new moon and on the way to italy she says something like "if i can't save edward i don't plan on surviving" (i know thats not the real quote). She gets nightmares when edward leaves even for a day and she cannot stand having edward in battle and not knowing if he comes back especally id she thinks its her fault, so her reasoning is that she has to be with edward whereever he is, at the meadow with him or him in a tent with her sitting out. Still after all the selfsacrivicing in the books and her not wanting to put the cullens in danger (see chapter 20 of twilight) she picks one hell of a time to finally ask for what she wants.

2.When Bella asks Edward to sit out the battle for her, he looks into her eyes for a long time. She sees his eyes "tighten with some emotion I couldn't read" before he picks up the phone to call Alice and make the necessary arrangements. What do you think was going through his mind?
-He hates having to choose between his family and bella but realizes that bella needs him more than ever and that this is probably the one thing she will ever ask of him. He knows his family will probably be fine and the naked panic in bellas eyes when she thinks of the fight looming ahead reminds him of the time he left her which he hates himself for. He promised he would never leave her again and it would be wrong to break that promise. He hates her to worry unecsarily. To make this short and sweet
-Shes got enough on her mind already-

3.Do Edward and Alice really believe the danger from the newborns is as trivial as they say, or are they trying to make Bella feel better?
-It will be easy with the wolves on thier side but not so trivial that they should be careless. They want to comfort her because her worrying and doing something stupid wont help and anyway everything should be fine if it goes according to plan

-Because he has no chance to make her uncomfterble with his devotion to her or annoy her with his bitterness and cruel unjustified remarks about the cullens. Its like the barrier that sprung up when he became a werewolf melts away in wolf form which is ironic

dietpepsi
Settled in Forks

Post by dietpepsi »

Yes, and unreasonable. I don't like Bella very much and this is her being absurd again.

I think he was struggling with his instinct to fight and his instinct to protect Bella.

I think they truly believe the fight will be a cakewalk.

As the poster above me said, because he is only there to be her friend. Perhaps its easier to lie to herself that she doesn't love him when he is in wolf form, because she can't do anything to him or say anything to him.

Nessa645
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Nessa645 »

In a way I thought it was kind of selfish for her to ask him to stay with her cause what if there were more newborns then Alice said there was, could've been putting his family at risk. But then she's not cause she was also willing to be in the clearing. Another thing if Edward hadn't of been there when Victoria showed up for Bella there would no longer be a Bella.

That he was going to stay with her to make her happy and not feel the same as she did when he left her the first time.

I thought it was a little of both. They wanted to make her feel better. But since they were also had the wolves on there side they had an advantage.

Because theres no way for her to feel uncomfortable around him since he can't talk or trying doing the things that he would usually do around her.
[img]http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n170/Nessa0369/Twilight/lllloooohh.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n170/Nessa0369/140.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/winged4iggy/Twilight%20Stuffz/teddyemmett.png[/img][img]http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n170/Nessa0369/Twilight%20Icons/twilight106.jpg[/img][img]http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n170/Nessa0369/Twilight%20Icons/Twilight-2.gif[/img]

edwardaddicted93
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by edwardaddicted93 »

Yes, it is selfish. But she knows it and admits it. I thought it was awful when she brought up losing him and made him feel so guilty. The family did say that they would be fine without Edward though.

He was probably thinking about how it would make Bella feel to leave her again and debating it with himself. I'm she he was really frustrated having to miss the fight with someone who wanted to hurt her. I think that Edward remembered how much he hurt Bella the last time he left her.

I think it's a little of both. I think that they didn't want to put her under anymore stress then they had to but also when they got help from the werewolves too, it sounded like it would be a lot easier plus they learned how to kill the newborns from Jasper.

I'm not completely sure but I think it's because he doesn't completely rat on Edward and make it harder for her to think about choosing sides and getting hurt by the fight between werewolves and vampires which are both her friends.

i love twilight
Wandering Through Town

Post by i love twilight »

Is it selfish of Bella to ask Edward to sit out the battle, knowing that it will increase the danger to the rest of his family?

I think it's a bit selfish but she was just trying to protect him from the danger the battle brought. :D

When Bella asks Edward to sit out the battle for her, he looks into her eyes for a long time. She sees his eyes "tighten with some emotion I couldn't read" before he picks up the phone to call Alice and make the necessary arrangements. What do you think was going through his mind?

I don't know maybe pain for not being able to leave her alone without hurting her.Also fear becasue the danger would increase for his family members.I think that in Bella's eyes there was fear for loosing him, also pain for hurting him by remembering him what it did to her when he left. :( :cry:

Do Edward and Alice really believe the danger from the newborns is as trivial as they say, or are they trying to make Bella feel better?

Both , I think that once they had their practice with newborn destruction it would be easy and fast, The newborns were are also strong (even stronger than Emmett hard to beleive :D )which has it's risks.

Why do you think Bella feels it's more like being with the old Jake -- "easy, effortless, as natural as breathing in and out" -- when he is in wolf form?

As Jacob said it might be because when he's not human she doesn't have to pretend that she'snot attracted to him.
:D
About three things I was absolutely positive
First Edward was a vampire.
Second there was a part of him - and I didn't know how dominant that part might be- that thirsted for my blood.
And third I was uncoditionally and irrevocably in love with him.

Auron
Settled in Forks

Post by Auron »

--Yes, I really think so. I think that maybe she should've tried to go with the flow and accept fate the way it is. She saw Edward fight Jasper, and they both got to a draw, so obviously he can take care of himself. It'd be different, though, if she knew Victoria and Riley would follow her in. Then, it could be seen as a way to get rid of an annoying pest.

--With he way Edward is, he's probably thinking of how he had left her before, how that maybe he could try and make it up to her for it. He knows he'll never be able to fully clear the debt, but he feels he has to keep trying anyway. He probably knows she's trying to keep him out of the fight so he'd stay alive, but he'd think himself selfish if he went out to enjoy it and leave her wondering about his fate a million times over.

--Probably a bit of both. They're probably a little uneasy about dealing with werewolves, but glad they're allied. They probably think it'll be a close fight, and know the risks of dying and injuries are a bit high considering how many they're dealing with. But of course, Bella might throw a hissy fit if she knew they were uneasy. :P

--When I think of Jake, I think of him as the way life should be led. Being with him would be natural for her, and there's a depth of love and friendship with a canine animal hard to explain. It's like nature wants them to be together (not trying to bash Edward or anything. I love him, too :P ) and is determined to make it easy for them.
[img]http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/8837/edwardandbellazh2copymt9.jpg[/img]

[quote]I once emailed the FBI when I was writing an original story to see if they could give me profiling tips.[/quote]