Chapter Nineteen: Selfish

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Eclipse.
fanpirefreak
Settled in Forks

Post by fanpirefreak »

1. Is it selfish of Bella to ask Edward to sit out the battle, knowing that it will increase the danger to the rest of his family?

Yes, I think it is selfish, but completely reasonable and understandable. I mean if the reason for your existence is about to go fight an army of vampires and is leaving you in the middle of no-were with no way of knowing of what is going on, wouldn't you go crazy with worry? Not know if he would come back? And he's telling you that it's nothing to worry about, but he tends to lie about those kinds of things because he know it would scare you. I would want him right by my side the whole time. It's selfish for all the right reasons.

2. When Bella asks Edward to sit out the battle for her, he looks into her eyes for a long time... What do you think was going through his mind?

I think he was thinking about when he left her and how much pain he caused her. And he didn't want her to feel that pain again. And I think that he was afraid that if he left her again Bella might never trust him again to not leave her.

3. Do Edward and Alice really believe the danger from the newborns is as trivial as they say, or are they trying to make Bella feel better?

I think that they were exaggerating how easy it was going to be for Bella's sake, but I don't think that it was going to be a lethal job with the werewolves help.

4. Why do you think Bella feels it's more like being with the old Jake -- "easy, effortless, as natural as breathing in and out" -- when he is in wolf form?

I think that it's easier because when Jake is in wolf form he can be- just Jacob. He doesn't have to hid or compose himself or anything. It is his "spirit form" after all. And that's the part of Jake Bella loves (i really don't like that fact- I'm all for team Edward)

twilightluver1901
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilightluver1901 »

1. Is it selfish of Bella to ask Edward to sit out the battle, knowing that it will increase the danger to the rest of his family?

At first I thought it was kind of selfish because he wouldn't know how his family was doing especially because he didn't know where Victoria was until she showed up at the camp.

2. When Bella asks Edward to sit out the battle for her, he looks into her eyes for a long time. She sees his eyes "tighten with some emotion I couldn't read" before he picks up the phone to call Alice and make the necessary arrangements. What do you think was going through his mind?

I think he was thinking about how he would be leaving his family behind and probably feeling bad because if he denied Bella it would mean he was leaving her in pain again.

3. Do Edward and Alice really believe the danger from the newborns is as trivial as they say, or are they trying to make Bella feel better?

I don't think they thought it was going to be hard especially because they had Jasper and he knew how to deal with this kind of stuff.

4. Why do you think Bella feels it's more like being with the old Jake -- "easy, effortless, as natural as breathing in and out" -- when he is in wolf form?

I think it's because Jacob couldn't talk and since he was her protector before Edward came back she felt more comfortable with him.
"Forbidden to remember, terrified to forget; it was a hard line to walk" [Bella, New Moon pg.117]
[img]http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/somewhat_damaged_517/Icons/Twilight/tha2f86aa7.gif[/img][img]http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn180/HollieBreanne/team_edward.jpg[/img][img]http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/somewhat_damaged_517/Icons/Twilight/thd0f2be3b.gif[/img][img]http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm254/gerycullen/ICONATOR_43cf7940089469bab317f46f5a.jpg[/img]

valerrrria
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by valerrrria »

#1. I loved the whole compromise thing. That was awesome. She asked him to sit out or let her help.

"Two options she could live with' and he had to pick the one he could live with.

I thought that was amazing. How a relationship should work.

jacob'sleah
Settled in Forks

Post by jacob'sleah »

I think Bella has a right to want Edward to stay behind with her. They have been throught so much with eachother. They both know what it feels like to lose the other. So this, I think, makes it perfectly justifyable for them to stay together during the battle... and it was useful in the end, right??

2. When Bella asks Edward to sit out the battle for her, he looks into her eyes for a long time. She sees his eyes "tighten with some emotion I couldn't read" before he picks up the phone to call Alice and make the necessary arrangements. What do you think was going through his mind?

I think he wished that he could finishe off the newborns with the rest of his family but he knows that being with Bella is more important.

They seem so confident. They know it will be a piece of cake.

She can show how she truly feels, because caring for and giving affection to an animal is different that doing the same for humans.
I heart Rupert Grint!!
Forks is my happy place!
" "Don't be afraid," I murmered.
"We belong together."
I was abruptly overwhelmed by the truth of my own words.
This moment was so perfect, so right.
There was no way to doubt it.
His arms were wrapped around me,
Holding me against him....
It felt like every nerve ending in my body was a live wire.
"Forever, " he agreed. "- Breaking Dawn Cover

VPnymph
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by VPnymph »

I honestly think they feel it is trivial because of how little control and skill newborns have compared to them.
[img]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l292/Jack_has_no_chance/If-I-could-Dream.gif[/img] [img]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l292/Jack_has_no_chance/AliceAvatar1.jpg[/img][img]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l292/Jack_has_no_chance/JasperAvatar1.jpg[/img] [img]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l292/Jack_has_no_chance/TonksAnimated.gif[/img]

elysiepiecie
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by elysiepiecie »

It is a bit selfish for Bella to ask Edward to sit out the battle. But I also think it is a good idea for her not to be alone without a vampire, especially Edward, there to protect her.

It was probably the pros and cons of him sitting it out. He doesn't want to hurt Bella by refusing to sit out with her, but he is conflicted with the thought of not fighting with the family. I also think he is picturing not being part of the battle, he had seemed excited about it before. I don't know if excited is the right word for it, but he did anticipate it with some eagerness.

I think that Edward and Alice are confident in their abilities to handle the newborns. That being said, I don't think that they are just saying that to make Bella feel better.

Ha, I think it's because he can't talk. Okay, maybe that's not the sole reason, but I think it plays a part. I think when Jacob is a wolf he is free to be himself with holding up any pretenses of being normal. As odd as it sounds, Jacob seems to be more comfortable when he is a wolf than he is a human.

emmyzed
Settled in Forks

Post by emmyzed »

I wouldn't say its selfish, but its the wrong choice. After all, there is a better chance of everyone surviving with Edward there.

I think he's sad that Bella cares about him so much she would put herself and his family in danger to save his own hide.

Nope.

Jake is at his most pure form when he's a wolf. He's natural, and he can't hide behind any pretenses.
[url=http://www.treasuretrooper.com/earneasy][img]http://www.treasuretrooper.com/graphics/treasuretrooper1.gif[/img][/url]

twilightteacher
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilightteacher »

I've been thinking about this for a while. I completely understand why she did it. After reading New Moon I would want to see Bella go through that again. I also love the Stephenie wrote this part so well. Bella knows what she is asking and it's a struggle for her to ask. Part of me (a very very small part) thought that it was a little selfish but a larger part of me would probably have asked the same thing. I don't think I could bear it if the love of my life were killed.

I think he was trying to make a decision between what Bella needs and whether his family could do without him. She is asking him something huge. I think if he didn't think about it it would have been strange.

I think they are relieved that they don't have to fight the newborns alone. I also think that maybe a small part of them is trying to make Bella feel better. With twenty-one newborns coming it seems like alot compared to the Cullen/Wolves.

Maybe because she can't see the bitter mask that falls over his face when they talk sometimes. I'm not sure.