Chapter Seventeen: Alliance

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Eclipse.
Commiting it to memory
Settled in Forks

Post by Commiting it to memory »

1. Do you think the majority of the people came to the party to celebrate with Bella or just to see the inside of the Cullen's house?
Inside of the house, of course. And some for Bella. Like, Angela or Mike maybe.

2. Were you as surprised as Bella was that Jacob came to the party? Would you have asked him to leave?
Yeah I was really suprised. And I don't know about that last question.

3. Do you think Jacob's gift of the bracelet was more of a reminder to Bella or to Edward about his friendship and devotion to her?
Both. Jacob likes to play games.

4. How did you feel about the alliance that was formed between the wolves and the vampires? Was it something you had expected for a while or were you surprised?
I was expecting something like that. Where they'd have to work together.

5. Did you think the alliance was going to work or did you have concerns over their ability to actually work together?
I had some concerns. Especially about Paul. xD
"But," Edward went on, "If I had been able to take your place last night, it would not have made the top ten of the best nights of my life. Dream about that."

<b><i>BURN.</b></i>

missjulie
Wandering Through Town

Post by missjulie »

1. Do you think the majority of the people came to the party to celebrate with Bella or just to see the inside of the Cullen's house?
It would depend on her number of friends : people at the party ratio. I think her friends all came to see her and the rest of them came to see the house and eat the food.

2. Were you as surprised as Bella was that Jacob came to the party? Would you have asked him to leave?

Yes and yes. Haha, but it ended up being a good thing he showed up.

3. Do you think Jacob's gift of the bracelet was more of a reminder to Bella or to Edward about his friendship and devotion to her?
The bracelet was more a reminder to Bella, I would like to think Jacob is more focused on Bella than Edward. I think Jacob considers him an annoyance at this point. He believes that Bella will wake up and see him soon.

4. How did you feel about the alliance that was formed between the wolves and the vampires? Was it something you had expected for a while or were you surprised?

I was glad they finally decided to pool their efforts and work together. Seemed like it was about time... but I expected it non-the-less.

5. Did you think the alliance was going to work or did you have concerns over their ability to actually work together?
I had concerns over the wolves keeping their word. We know so little about them, their real motives, the way they think, etc. I knew they could work together physically, but it was their emotions and prejudice I was worried about.

Cullenesque71
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Cullenesque71 »

The people are definitely there to see the inside of the Cullens' house. Edward said everyone was thinking about the Cullens' "mystery house".

Not really. I think he wanted to prove to Bella that he could handle being around her, even in the "bloodsuckers" own home. I would not have asked him to leave if he was being a good guest.

This is a hard question because later in the novel, the reader discovers that Jacob was "not playing fair" to try to win Bella..which leads me to believe that this is a gift to rub in Edward's face.

I think the alliance was necessary. The wolves get to kill some vampires, and the Cullens get the much needed help. I wasn't shockingly surprised...just pleasantly so.

I felt that once they determined to work together, they would do what it took to work together. The wolves are geared to kill vampires, and when they hear about an army of them coming to Forks, they know that their help will save the townspeople.
~Lisa~
[img]http://i29.tinypic.com/300haxd.jpg[/img]

elysiepiecie
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by elysiepiecie »

I think that the majority of people came to see the Cullen's house. Especially the people like Jessica and Lauren. I think that only Angela, Ben, and Mike might have been the only ones to show up if it was at Bella's house.

I had a suspicion that he might show up since she invited him, but his response to the invitation was sarcastic so I wasn't entirely sure. I don't know if I would have asked him to leave, but I would have asked him to be on his best behavior. If things got out of hand, I would have asked him to leave.

I think it was a reminder to Bella of Jacob. I never quite thought of it as a way to show Edward his feelings about Bella.

I thought the alliance was a good idea. I figured that at some point the alliance was inevitable, especially when Jacob would be pushing it on the werewolf side with Bella's safety on the line. I also think that the Cullen's would do anything to protect Bella, so it was nice to see them put aside their prejudice's for a bit to do so.

I thought that alliance would work, but I figured it would be a short term alliance. There would be no lasting effects of it. I was hoping that the werewolves and the vampires would both realize that they could trust each other.

twilightteacher
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilightteacher »

I think they came to see the inside of the Cullen house. Of course there are a few exceptions like Angela and Ben.

I was surprised. Wouldn't they be breaking the treaty by being there? That was my first thought. If I was Bella I definitely would have asked him to leave. Especially after that kiss!

I think it was more of a reminder to Edward. A reminder that look I'll always be part of her life/on her mind. I will admit that the competition between the two boys is getting a little old at this point.

I sort of expected the alliance. I think because Bella is involved that it had to happen. The Cullens couldn't do this battle alone.

I am concerned that it isn't going to work. What if one of the wovles hurts a Cullen during battle? I would hate to think of one of the Cullens being hurt. Plus that starts another war entirely. It's also interesting that they are sharing their battle techniques with each other. Should things ever go south between them it would make for quite the battle.