Chapter sixteen: Epoch

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Eclipse.
bethanyglen
Settled in Forks

Post by bethanyglen »

1. When Bella made the connection between the thief and the Seattle newborns, were you surprised? If not, when did you figure it out?

I knew that there might be something with the potential of danger in Bella's future, and at first I was thinking that she would face two dangerous obstacles. But when I referenced back the past two books, she always encountered one danger (Twilight - James; New Moon - the Volturi). The combination of both the thief and the newborns had to be.

2. How did you feel about Jess making light of the "friendship" she shared with Bella? Would you have reacted the same way Bella reacted?

Yes, I would have been the same way. When someone only pretends to be your friend, they are trying to put the bad things behind them. I think Jess was being pleasant to make sure Bella doesn't think that they were truely enemies, and wants to leave without any grudges.

3. Do you think Bella would have been more excited to graduate if there wasn't the danger from Seattle looming over her? Or do you think she still would have been contemplating the "ending" of her human life?

I think that Bella was just really overwhelmed at what would happen in her immediate future, not just the Seattle danger. Because Bella wants to be changed so badly, that she is going to be preoccupied with it no matter the other circumstances.

4. Charlie expresses some concern about not being able to give Bella everything, yet Bella tells him he's been the best dad. How honest do you think Bella was being in that whole conversation?

I think she was being very honest. He opened up his house for her, and he was never extremely overbearing. He truely cared for his daughter, and all he wanted was to be loved in return, which is what he was given. Even through the numerous times Bella ran away (which were, for the most part, to protect him - a true sign of care and love), Charlie was more than happy to see her home and pretend that most of her actions didn't happen. He even approves of Edward to a point, but like all typical dads, he is wary of what Edward could do to his precious baby daughter.
[url=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][img]http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/7638/mybanner48582d0d96e1cut9.jpg[/img][/url]

"Isn't it supposed to be like this?" He smiled. "The glory of first love and all that. It's incredible, isn't it, the difference between reading about something, seeing it in the pictures, and experiencing it?" <b><3 Edward!</b>

dazzled&breathless
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by dazzled&breathless »

1. When Bella made the connection between the thief and the Seattle newborns, were you surprised? If not, when did you figure it out?
I was a little surprised because it seemed like the newborns were just trying to claim territory in Seattle. I think subconsiously I knew that they had to be linked because even if the thief was just curious why would they take Bella's stuff?
2. How did you feel about Jess making light of the "friendship" she shared with Bella? Would you have reacted the same way Bella reacted?
I would have reacted like Bella, Jess was rude in the end and you can't just make it all better with graduating. Well, I would have basically ignored Jess like Bella, but Bella ignored her more because she had more pressing things in her head. I would just ignore Jess totally and not respond to anything.
3. Do you think Bella would have been more excited to graduate if there wasn't the danger from Seattle looming over her? Or do you think she still would have been contemplating the "ending" of her human life?
I think she would have been a little more excited because now she wasn't prevented from being changed. Yes she would be still nervous about the change, but it was one step to being closer to Edward.
4. Charlie expresses some concern about not being able to give Bella everything, yet Bella tells him he's been the best dad. How honest do you think Bella was being in that whole conversation?
I think she was being pretty honest, Charlie isn't too overprotective and inquisitive in Bella's life. He knows she can take care of herself somewhat, so he lets her live her own life how she wants to.
Staring into his eyes always made me feel extraordinary-- sort of like my bones were turning spongy. I was also a little lightheaded, but that could have been because I'd forgotten to keep breathing. Again.

Awesome avatar by Saffron Sunset @ Vesperarium!!

Hey you guys! Some Twilighters are setting up an alternate lex while our beloved lex is down. BUT! There isn't going to be any spoilers!! It is at: http://ouralternatelex.friendhood.net/index.htm

Commiting it to memory
Settled in Forks

Post by Commiting it to memory »

It wasn't as much as suprise. More like "Ah!" putting the pieces together. It made perfect sense.

Yeah, I would have. Jessica is absurd.

Contemplating. I don't think she'd be that excited. She's not one for normality. ^^

I think she was being totally honest in a sense. I thought it was so sweer.
"But," Edward went on, "If I had been able to take your place last night, it would not have made the top ten of the best nights of my life. Dream about that."

<b><i>BURN.</b></i>

Bri53
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter sixteen: Epoch

Post by Bri53 »

I was supried she hadn't made the connetion in the first place. When I first heard about the Seattle thing (back when we got the first chapter of Eclipse) I thought it was Victoria. Wehn the Cullens are all talking after someone had been in Bella's room, I was sure it was Victoria.

Jessica is a typical fake girl. Just ignore them.

She might have been marginally more excited. Though maybe she would be happy because she's be getting closer to her dream of being a vampire.

Not that honest. Closer to the truth would be "you did a good job for the circumstance were in." Charlie didn't raise her so his fatherhood skills are under-developed. I wouldn't expect him to be father of the year. Thiugh he was caring and concerned. I think the fact that he gave Bella "the talk" (or tried to anyway) is a testiment to how he cares.

elysiepiecie
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by elysiepiecie »

I had an inkling that there was a connection, I can't remember exactly when I decided that this was the case.

I would have definitely reacted the same way Bella did. I had a few people act the same way as Jessica did to me when I graduated from high school. I think Bella was right when she blamed it on the nostalgia.

Maybe a bit, but Bella has never been one to be excited about big affairs. I think that she would be preoccupied with the thought of being changed too, so I think the combination of nerves and the want of not having to be center of attention from graduation would have not made her that excited.

I think that Bella was being totally honest. I don't think that Bella is worried about the materialistic things in life. Charlie and Bella seem to have an easy, natural ease together and that is hard sometimes for daughters and fathers to achieve. Even thought Charlie can be tough on Edward and may seem a bit emotionally detached at time, I think Bella truly believes every word she says.

twilightteacher
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilightteacher »

I wasn't too surprised. In the back of my head I had always been wondering when Victoria would show up again. How could she not? After what Jasper had said I didn't think it was the work of the Volturi either. I was surprised that one of the Cullens didn't think of it before Bella did.

I think I would have had the same reaction. While Jessica was never really a friend to Bella I would have wanted to end things on a good note.

I think she probably would have been more excited if there wasn't danger looming in her future. She has wanted to be a vampire and to be with Edward since the first book.

I think Bella is being honest but to a point. I think in many ways Charlie has been a good dad to her. But sometimes it seems that Bella would like Charlie to notice things more than he does.