Chapter Fourteen: Declaration

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Eclipse.
Jenni
Settled in Forks

Post by Jenni »

1. If Edward had shared Jacob's thoughts with Bella (when he drops her off at the LaPush boundary line) do you think it would have caused Bella to acknowledge the pain she was causing Jacob and prevented the "Jacob-kiss" from happening?
---No, for two reasons: Fristly, I believe Bella would have still wanted to visit with Jacob despite that b/c she missed him. Secondly, even if Bella told Jacob she didn't feel the same way about him, he wouldn't have believed her and still would have tried to kiss her to convince her she really did.

2. Bella describes in detail why she wants Edward to change her. If she is going to be changed, do you think he wants to be the one to do it?
---Good question. I think he would rather she stay human, but if she really wants to change I think he would rather be the one to do it...cause that way he gets her to marry him ;)

3. What can you attribute Bella's ambivalence about marriage to?
---Probably the fact that the example of marriage she grew up with didn't work out, and b/c her mother has probably been so negative all of Bella's life about marriage that it skewed her view of what it should be. Personally, that bothers me to no end. If she plans to spend the rest of her immortal life with Edward she should respect his wishes to remain "old fashioned"

4. Bella constantly makes the distinction between the Jacob she likes—her young friend and the bitter werewolf Jacob who "bugs the hell" out of her. What do you think Stephenie's purpose is in highlighting this throughout the book?
---Maybe it is to show how friends change, and you either can grow together or grow apart.

5. Is is shocking that Bella would consider having Edward kill a human in order to gain an advantage in the fight against the newborns?
---No. I really don't think she meant it when she said it. I think she was just grasping at any idea she could to help protect the people she loves. I think we all say things we don't mean in times of stress.

spiker21
Buying a Better Raincoat

Fire and Ice

Post by spiker21 »

I really think that i edward had shared jacob's feelings with bella that she would have been able to stop the kiss from happening but at the same time edward is respectful enough that he would stay out of jacob's personal buisiness ( when necessary) :) In this chapter though we see that bella is so desperate to be a vampire even though the cullens reassure her that everything will be fine.
When the world falls down and the war is done i know that we will always be together....FOREVER!

I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!!- edward to me! duh!

acting23doll
Settled in Forks

Post by acting23doll »

1. No. Bella thinks the same way I do. She most likely would have tried to say something but then not been able to phrase it or get it out. And then there's the whole... he's a big strong werewolf also.
2. Yes. If she's going to be changed anyway... he would want to be the one to do it.
3. Charlie not being over Renee. And Renee falling in love with Phil.
4. To emphasis how she loves her nice Jacob.
5. I think that she was desperate. She didn't really mean it. She just can't deal with Edward not coming back.
~Acting23doll~
I don't walk . . . I trip and hope I fall in the right direction. :)

eager 4 eternal damnation
Settled in Forks

Post by eager 4 eternal damnation »

1. If Edward had shared Jacob's thoughts with Bella (when he drops her off at the LaPush boundary line) do you think it would have caused Bella to acknowledge the pain she was causing Jacob and prevented the "Jacob-kiss" from happening?
yeah - she might have done something about it. i know a lot of people are saying that she wouldnt have been able to stop jacob since he's bigger and stronger and stuff, but she could have prevented the "jacob-kiss" by not agreeing to see him that day, and asking edward to take her to the cullen home to be babysat instead. although that seems unlike bella, she might have done it "for the greater good", since that would lessen jacob's pain in the future when she would ultimately have to choose edward over jacob :cry: .

2. Bella describes in detail why she wants Edward to change her. If she is going to be changed, do you think he wants to be the one to do it?
if edward had known what bella was thinking, and understood why she wanted him to change her, i think he would be amused 8) . other than that though, i dun really think he wants to do it - i mean, he doesnt even want her to change in the first place.
"If I could dream it would be about you. And I'm not ashamed of it"

"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb." Edward
"What a stupid lamb" Bella
"What a sick masochistic lion" Edward

"Will you please tell me what you are thinking? Before I go mad?" Edward

"You compare one little tree to the entire forest" Edward

“I never thought I’d see the day where I’d be willing to take a bet against you, Alice, but it has arrived.â€

Nessarose
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Nessarose »

Probably. Maybe she wouldn't even have stayed if she knew how things would develop. I guess she would have left for both their sakes. On the one hand because she wouldn't have wanted Jake to kiss her for obvious reasons (I mean with Edward and all) but also because she would've wanted to prevent him from being disappointed in the end.

I'm almost certain that he actually wants to be the one to change her. I think that deep inside him he wants her to become one of his kind - she wouldn't grow old, she wouldn't die eventually and they could live happily ever after and all that stuff. So why shouldn't he want her to be a vampire? I really believe that he only tries to convince her not to get changed because he knows that it would be reasonable to leave her human and to protect her soul and he only wants what's best for her. But I'm quite sure that, when it comes to his instincts and his desires, he yearns for her becoming a vampire and that he actually wants to be the one to change her in order to be tied to her for eternity. But of course he's too much of a gentleman to admit that so we probably won't hear such things from him...

I guess that it's just that she doesn't believe in marriage since her parents' divorce and thus she doesn't think that a wedding could cover her feelings for Edward adequately. I really don't believe that she is somewhat concerned about the wedding being kind of a final thing, since she's more than willing to take a step whcih is much, much more final than a marriage.

4. Bella constantly makes the distinction between the Jacob she likes—her young friend and the bitter werewolf Jacob who "bugs the hell" out of her. What do you think Stephenie's purpose is in highlighting this throughout the book?

Maybe she wants to emphasize the huge differences between Jake and Edward. Edward is a well-mannered, always polite, funny and intelligent gentleman and the "old" Jacob probably isn't that different. The new Jake however kind of grew in another direction: He's wild, bitter, imprudent, rude, in short: the complete opposite of Edward.

5. Is is shocking that Bella would consider having Edward kill a human in order to gain an advantage in the fight against the newborns?

No, not at all. I would have thought the same if there was such a reason to worry abouz persons I love.
[img]http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/89/717589/400_3561366263343661.jpg[/img]

joy
Wandering Through Town

chapter 14

Post by joy »

#1.edward wouldn't share jacobs thoughts because he wants to give bella the choice on her own. he knows jacob is human and wants bella to experience all things human so she knows without a doubt that becoming immortal is what she 100% wants. he's still a man who can be jealous but he loves her so much that he would let her go if that what she chooses.i vote for edward however!! #2.edward would love bella to be with him for all eternity but that is his selfish side. he loves her so much that he would rather have her stay human and he would stick by her through all her life and growing old. he realizes that danger is always a foot away however and being human she is very fragile. he wouldn't want to lose her early so he compromises by waiting until their married if at a point he changes her at least they have done some things properly plus he can make her hold out longer if they are already together "married". i think she won't be in as much of a rush to become immortal if she can be with edward intimately. #3. look at marriage today. 50% of marriages end in divorce.i am among that group unfortunately. having a piece of paper and loving someone the day you get married doesn't hold a grain of salt to what lies ahead in the future. bella loves edward and wants to be with him for all eternity. immortal makes that possible meaning alot more than a promise and a piece of paper. people change their minds. #4 bella is confused just how much she cares for jacob. its safe to have an annoying side to complain about so as to hide the feelings for the other side. jacobs love is more buddy buddy, kidding around. but edwards loves goes deep into the heart and is all emcompassing.ahhh..#5.bella has such a fear of losing edward she lost her head for a moment but she's a moral person and felt bad for thinking that way. she would give her life to save his.

xi lOVE ROBx0
Settled in Forks

Post by xi lOVE ROBx0 »

1. I'm not really sure to be honest, haha. I think that she would be more hesitant around him and when he was going to tell her that he loved her she would be like, "Woah Jake, stop! I know what you're going to say." And then the conversation would completely change since she already knew. I think that in that case she'd be able to prevent the kiss because she'd be able to expect that he might try and do that. Jake might also feel awkward that she found out through Edward and change his mind about doing it.

2. I don't really think that Edward wants to change Bella, but in a way I believe he does. I definitely think that he sees other options for her besides becoming a vampire and he wishes that she wouldn't want to be one so badly. But, I believe that if it was mandatory and she definitely was going to be changed than he would want to do it. I don't think it's that he doesn't trust Carlisle. I just think that he feels he would need to be there for her and even though it would be extremely difficult, he wants to be able to trust himself to change her.

3. I definitely think that this has to do with being raised by Renee. She doesn't think marrige is a very good thing considering her on-a-whim marrige to Charlie. (Not that she seems to regret having Bella or anything, though.) And so I think being raised by someone so disgusted by the very idea now has changed her. She's a lot like Renee in that way and I think Renee meant her to be that way.

4. I think that this just shows that people change, especially when you don't want them to. Bella loved Jacob just the way he was; her own personal sun. Warm, friendly, and always making her laugh. She misses that Jake and he shows that side of him from time to time, but I think that Stephenie meant this to symbolize the change to being a werewolf and how much it's changed him. He wishes that it hadn't happened and probably misses his less-obnoxious self, too. (No offense, Jake, lol)

5. Not really, lol. She loves him more than anything so of course she would want what's best for him to survive. I kind of thought of that, too. I thought it would be good for him to do that, but of course I didn't want him to kill a human either. I realize that Bella thought that was disturbing after she thought it and I would, too. Sometimes it surprises people when they realize just how far they'd go to save the one they love.
"I don’t scare you?â€

twilight_addict_13
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by twilight_addict_13 »

~Well, I think she would have talked to him about it, but I pretty sure it wouldn't stop Jacob anyway.

~I think he really does, but he just doesn't want Bella to throw everything all together, as mentioned throughout the series. I'm sure he secretly wants to be the one to do that. But you all know how he fights himself like allll the time over being selfish.

~I think seeing/hearing what her parents went through and how they ended up kind of prodded her. And not to mention they always talked to her about it too.

~Showing Bella's true feelings for Jacob, even without letting Bella see it. I think Bella's subconsciously trying to determine if she really is making the right choice.

5. Is is shocking that Bella would consider having Edward kill a human in order to gain an advantage in the fight against the newborns?[/color=yellow]
~No. I don't find it shocking. I mean she loves him. Like. A lot.
"It's late," he said again, murmuring, almost crooning now, his voice smoother than silk. "Sleep, my Bella. Dream happy dreams. You are the only one who has ever touched my heart. It will always be yours. Sleep, my only love."
He started to hum my lullaby, and I knew it was only a matter of time till I succumbed, so I closed my eyes and snuggled closer into his chest.

Fabala
Settled in Forks

Post by Fabala »

1. If Edward had shared Jacob's thoughts with Bella (when he drops her off at the LaPush boundary line) do you think it would have caused Bella to acknowledge the pain she was causing Jacob and prevented the "Jacob-kiss" from happenning?

Somewhat. I think that she would have acknowledged the pain she was putting Jacob in, but I don't think it would've prevented the Jacob kiss from happening. I think, in a way, the Jacob kiss helped her to choose. It helped her to truly decide who was best. Bella had to choose eventually, anyway.

I believe Edward is still hesitant, but has accepted it. I hope she is going to be changed. My personal opinion is that he would rather be the one to change her than someone else, such as Alice or Carlisle.

Her mother. Her mother instilled that ambivalence in her. I don't think she's genuinely afraid of marriage, she just agree's with her mother's views.

I think her purpose in higlighting it is to show that Bella isn't compatible with all of Jacob, but she can handle all of Edward. It shows that Edward is a better match for her.

No. I think she's giving a normal reaction towards the one she loves. She would do anything for Edward, and if it would keep him safer, Bella would have no problem with it. Bella loves Edward.
For never was there a story of more woe, than that of Juliet and her Romeo...Sad Story :-(

Well we can't all come and go by BUBBLE!

simply.crazy
Wandering Through Town

Post by simply.crazy »

-To be honest I really don't know...I think she would talk to him about him but that wouldn't stop Jake anyway:D

-Yes...she was going to be changed anyway so I think he would prefer to be one to do it but he doesn't want her to become a vampire because of her soul....I think he is kind of battling with himself because he wants her to be a vampire too-they would be together forever and it would be much easier but still, there is her soul...

-The break up of her parents...maybe

-I think it shows us that Bella liked Jacob better when he was just friends with her

-I don't know...she dismisses it anyway and she was just thinking about every possibility to help Edward because she doesn't want anything happen to him