Chapter Thirteen: Newborn

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Eclipse.
alsha
Wandering Through Town

Post by alsha »

1. Compare and contrast the Jasper/Alice meeting and subsequent love with that of Bella and Edward? Is one destiny and the other choice?
Alice and Jasper were destiny and Bella and Edward was destiny at first then was made a choice.

2. Do you think it's odd that Jasper has a tone of reverence in his voice when he speaks of the Volturi?
no he respects them and that's good

3. Do you feel that sometimes people in a powerful position have to make hard and ruthless decisions for the "greater" good?
yeah

4. Discuss Carlisle's loyalty to the Denali clan, versus his loyalty to the wolves.
he's loyal to both in different ways. he's loyal to the Denali clan because they're just like he's family but he's loyal to the wolves because of the treaty

admirallily
Teaching Eric Social Graces
Location: In a big white house in the forest by the river. They say vampires live here.

Re: Chapter Thirteen: Newborn

Post by admirallily »

1. Compare and contrast the Jasper/Alice meeting and subsequent love with that of Bella and Edward? Is one destiny and the other choice?

A: I think the meetings were destiny but both couples had a choice in the matter.

2. Do you think it's odd that Jasper has a tone of reverence in his voice when he speaks of the Volturi?

A: Nope. He's see how bad it can be in a way the others haven't.

3. Do you feel that sometimes people in a powerful position have to make hard and ruthless decisions for the "greater" good?

A: Yes. And I don't envy them.
[img]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i165/admirallily/17AgainQuotebyAL.gif[/img]
Hee! I crack up every time I see that clip!

fantasia
Learning to Love Green

Post by fantasia »

I definitely think destiny had a hand in the Jasper/Alice situation, that's the only way I thought of it. I also think Bella and Edward meeting was destiny. Bella put the events in motion the second she decided to move to Forks. Think about it, she's the ONE person 'immune' to Edward's abilities, her scent (his first time smelling anything like it!), the fact that the only free seat was next to him on her first day? To me it seems like there was never a choice to made, it was destined to be.

Not at all, when he was changed he was automatically forced into a life where warring vampires was to be expected. Like he said, he grew depressed with this lifestyle and I find it's only normal to respect and admire the people who were able to get rid of it almost altogether. They solved the problems that needed to be solved, the end.

Of course. Most decisions people have to make in order to create a good outcome for everyone entail some ruthlessness and sacrifice. You can't make everyone happy, right? You need to do what's best for everyone involved, not a few people then to hell with the rest.

4. Discuss Carlisle's loyalty to the Denali clan, versus his loyalty to the wolves.

When I think of Carlisle, I see him as loyal to his family first and foremost, and everyone else grouped in the same after that. I don't think he's more loyal to one or the other, he worked hard for centuries to control himself and learn to help - not harm - anyone/thing else, and it shows. Especially later on!

Commiting it to memory
Settled in Forks

Post by Commiting it to memory »

Alice and Jasper were definitely Destiny. But I also think Bella and Edward are too. Like her rash decision to move to Forks, how he is unable to read her mind, or how anyone is for that matter. And she's also his singer. Definitely destiny.

I didn't imagine it that way. Although I read it that way.

Yes, I do. Everyone can't be happy.

"But," Edward went on, "If I had been able to take your place last night, it would not have made the top ten of the best nights of my life. Dream about that."

<b><i>BURN.</b></i>

Bri53
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter Thirteen: Newborn

Post by Bri53 »

I think Alice and Jasper's does seem like destiny, but i think Edward and Bella's relationship may also feel like that. Or Carlisle and Esme or Emment and Rosalie. Alice has the advantage of precognition, but I think that its also true that the other couples came together in a way (and at the right moment) that made it fell like destiny.

Not really. If you look at it from his perspective. I mean, He know how easily the human population could find out, and he know that he could not have a lifestyle of his choice is he had to hide.

Yes. Though how much "good it serves remains to be seen.

Carlisle is a fair person and he doesnt like violence. He didnt feel like the Denali coven's request was reasonable. I dont think its loyalty, so much as humaity.

5. Was I suprised that the Deali coven refused help unless they could get revenge on the werewolves?

Yes, I was. I thought the Deanli coven and the Cullens were closer than that. I though they were the partridges to the Cullens Brady's, but apparently not. Its sad that Irina put her feelings for Laurent, someone who clearly did not share her level of affection, for a family that is her best friend and alli in the world.

twilightteacher
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilightteacher »

First, I have to say that I really enjoyed Jasper's story. Jasper and Alice have always been my two favorite minor characters. It was nice to finally get some background on where Jasper came from and how he eventually made it to the Cullen family. I think think Jasper/Alice is similar to Edward/Bella because there seemed to be this sense of wholeness when they met. Jasper talks about the depression and loneliness before meeting Alice. It was like when he met her a weight was lifted. She changed him and gave him peace. It's sort of similar for Edward and Bella. I think when you meet your soul mate that feeling is there. So yes, I think it is destiny for both couples.

It was a little odd but after Jasper's story it makes sense. The killing/wars probably would not have stopped if the Volturi had not stepped in. I think Jasper understood that.

Yes I feel that sometimes that does happen...especially in our world. While we might not understand at the time sometimes when we look back it makes sense. I have to say that at the end of New Moon I thought that the Volturi were completely evil. After reading Jasper's story what they do (keeping the order) makes sense. I still don't like them as much but I get it a little more now.

Well for one thing Carlisle knows them better. The Cullen family has spent time with them. I feel like the loyalty to the wolves is just based on the treaty. They don't really trust each other. It seems like it's only the treaty that keeps both sides in check. I would definitely like to see both the vampires and the wolves try to see the other point of view. I guess like Bella I would want them to stop fighting. Somehow I don't think that will happen.

elysiepiecie
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by elysiepiecie »

Since Alice already knew what was coming, so it didn't take her by surprise. I think that Jasper and Alice's love is more of a mental thing. They don't need a lot of physical contact like Bella and Edward's. Bella and Edward's meeting didn't foreshadow to how deep of a love it would be at all'they didn't have Alice's power to tell the otherwise at the moment. I think both were choice. Alice didn't have to choose to seek out Jasper, she could have just ignored the vision.

No, not at all. They are the oldest, most powerful Volturi. They also took care of the mess of what happened in the South'I'm sure he was grateful for that.

I do think so. If you have to kill one to save a thousand, then it is understandable.

I think that Carlisle's loyalty to the Denali clan is equal to that with the wolves. He has not gone against his treaty with the wolves at all. I think to the Denali clan he is loyal to their cause of vegetarianism.