Chapter Twelve: Time

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Eclipse.
ReneeMonty
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by ReneeMonty »

1. Why is Edward now willing to change Bella into a vampire (provided she marries him) after being dead set against it for so long?

Well in Volterra he said: 'Carlisle's right!' Referring to the 'vampires have a soul' theorie from Carlisle. The moment he said that and i realised what he ment everything changed! It means that he still has hope and doesn't really completely believe that he has no soul at all! He was so stobbern about it because he didn't wanted to doom Bella and give her the same fate as he has, only because he is selfish enough to keep her. So if he can believe vampires have a soul there isn't a reason why he don't want to change bella.

2. Why is it still so important to him that she marry him before he changes her? Is there more to this than a strategy to delay her?

This is a hard one. Can't really see what Edward means with it.. But in his own time it was normal to get married so jong that counts to. And I think he wasn't joking about that Bella has to 'prove' that she wants to stay with him forever. It's one thing to stay with somebody a lifetime but how does Edward know if Bella will stay forever! He wants to be as sure as he can get and i don't blame him for it.

3. Why is Bella so panicked at the thought of marrying Edward? Is there more to her reaction than she is saying? Does she actually understand her own reasons completely?

I think it's for a big share the shock, that she reacts how she does. He completely took her off guard about this, Bella never thought about this and that isn't a surprise. In this time it's not completely normal to marry at 18. She keeps hanging in a denial stage, thats why she is so horryfied about it!

4. After the epiphanies of NM, how could Edward still imagine being immortal was more important to Bella than her love for him?

People do crazy things.... Also they think weird sometimes... Edward is really complex he thinks about everything! So it's not a surprise he thought this one out to. 8) He is so unsure because he can't read what Bella's thinking! So he needs to ask her things like this to be sure. It's to comfore his mind i think.

5. Edward says that changing Bella is the most selfish thing he will ever do. Why is he nevertheless prepared to do it? Is this morally weak of him?

Yes it's selfish and yes he is weak that he can't resist to doing it. But o well what would you do? I can be really selfish everybody can be, sometimes you need to be. If someone says that there not or never selfish they are probably the most selfish people alive. If people say they are selfish they really aren't but they have to do something that is selfish but they don't like to do it. And well Bella wants him to do it so that makes it right.

nostalgicmiss
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by nostalgicmiss »

1. Why is Edward now willing to change Bella into a vampire (provided she marries him) after being dead set against it for so long?
There is more than one answer to this question, Edward no matter how much he's against changing Bella knows it's the only ending that will have a happily ever after, as he has said, he is ultimately a selfish creature.
Then there's Bella, when there's something she wants, she seems to be a force to be reckoned with, ultimately Edward wants to make her happy, I think he realizes (Finally) this is what she wants. So he came to a compromise.
I think with the wedding ultimatum, he was sure he was buying himself more time, he wants her to experience humanity but all she wants is him. I don't think he was prepared for her to cave in so quickly.

2. Why is it still so important to him that she marry him before he changes her? Is there more to this than a strategy to delay her?
I think he honestly wants to do things right. A wedding, no matter who you are, is a big deal and it comes largely with the human experience. I think he also wants to make sure she's doing it for the right reasons.

3. Why is Bella so panicked at the thought of marrying Edward? Is there more to her reaction than she is saying? Does she actually understand her own reasons completely?
I think it's the same symptom as most men, they don't mind the commitment but it's the finality of it all. Even though I am certain she loves Edward and wants to be with him for eternity she is concerned about people's reactions. She has been turned off of marriage by her mother, and as a young girl. I'm sure it sunk into her and was instilled in her as a belief rather than just an opinion.

4. After the epiphanies of NM, how could Edward still imagine being immortal was more important to Bella than her love for him?
I think her friendship with Jacob is giving him insecurities, he's not doubting her love for him, I think he's overestimating her emotions for Jacob.

5. Edward says that changing Bella is the most selfish thing he will ever do. Why is he nevertheless prepared to do it? Is this morally weak of him?
No, not at all. He loves her, their love is mutual and lets face it, the concept started with Bella, throughout the series he's been denying her, he had to cave in at some point. Not to mention it really is the only feasible end/beginning for them. It's the only way they'll truly be together.
He's not selfish at all.
[img]http://www.elkevents.com/love.jpg[/img]
My fanfiction Story, I always wondered about Alice, she's one of my favorite characters.<a href="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4188861/1/Throught_the_Eyes_of_Alice_Cullen">Through the Eyes of Alice Cullen</a>
<a href="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4256119/1/Darkest_Night"> Darkest Night, Alice Fan Fic </a>

Team Edward *ash*
Buying a Better Raincoat
Location: waiting in the meadow....maybe Edward will show up :)

Post by Team Edward *ash* »

I think because of Bellas HUGE opposition to marriage, it will make her think over becoming a vampire, and hopefully, in his mind, delay her.
Like Edward said, he is also worried that as soon as she is strong and beasutiful he will leave her, because he sees himself as unworthy for Bella-insane!- and so he wants an extra tie to her. And he wants to do everything right. He is old-fashioned and he has morals! (shae should take him and run.... i can't find a guy with morals! haha :D )
I don't know, I honestly think that Bella is truthfully SCARED of marriage, I also think that she might think that marriage will somehow change Bella and Edwards relationship.
Because like Bella, Edward doesn't see himself clearly. He sees himself as a monster, and bella as a beautiful, trusting, warm, unique, amazing girl. So he thinks that as soon as Bella has that strength and power, she will dump him.
i am honestly not sure.
In the meantime, Bella was with Eric. Later, she met up with Edward and made him quack like a duck. About a month later, they're all on the Maury show, and Bella is Eric's baby's mama. They had twins Amii and Eastmann. When Bella told Renee, it turned out she was pregnant too...with triplets...Olga, Hamburger Phone and Ieshia...Hamburger Phone is a whatsit.

alsha
Wandering Through Town

Post by alsha »

because he loves her and would give her anything to make her happy.

so she makes a small sacrifice compare to the sacrifice that he'll make by changing her or taking away her soul.

no i think she's just afraid.

i don't know

becuase it is really selfish for him to change her. he's not prepared to do it becuase he doesn't want to take heaven away from her. it kind of is morally weak for him, but she wants it too so i don't really know

admirallily
Location: In a big white house in the forest by the river. They say vampires live here.

Re: Chapter Twelve: Time

Post by admirallily »

A: He's realizing it's her choice. He can't force her to do anything nor not to and really he doesn't want to. I think her independence is one of the many things he loves about her. He's still not happy with it but if she's going to do it then he wants to be with her regardless.

A: He's worried, as usual. Probably.

A: Maybe she doesn't understand them all completely but as I've said before, having the bad of it all pounded into her head her whole life by her mother is bound to leave lasting consequences that are hard to overcome.

A: We all need reassurances.

A: Perhaps it is. He's prepared to do it because she wants it and he wants her. If it were up to him he wouldn't, it's only his desire that makes him selfish. He knows very well this is a partnership and with that comes compromise.
[img]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i165/admirallily/17AgainQuotebyAL.gif[/img]
Hee! I crack up every time I see that clip!

joy
Wandering Through Town

Post by joy »

[quote="Alphie"]Thanks to December for her help with the questions!

1. Why is Edward now willing to change Bella into a vampire (provided she marries him) after being dead set against it for so long? I think he believes Bella will hold out longer before wanting to be changed after their married because she will get to be with him in the biblical sense and still be human. She won't be in such a rush. Then at least they will be properly married when the cooking takes place and that will at least be one commandment Edward and Bella haven't broken. If and when he changes her.

2. Why is it still so important to him that she marry him before he changes her? Is there more to this than a strategy to delay her? Both of their virtues still intact. He wants to be bound to her by marriage. Back in his day marriage was a forever commitment. Stating before God and everyone that you both are forever together as husband and wife. That he belongs to her and she belongs to him exclusively.

Embarrassed. Today young people just don't get married right out of high school unless their pregnant or just not very smart. I think Bella is worried that Edward is trying everything to get around changing her, even using the whole marriage thing.
4. After the epiphanies of NM, how could Edward still imagine being immortal was more important to Bella than her love for him?He doesn't look kindly upon himself he believes he is far from deserving someone like Bella. She wants immortality so bad he can't believe its just to be with him.

5. Edward says that changing Bella is the most selfish thing he will ever do. Why is he nevertheless prepared to do it? Is this morally weak of him?[/quote]He says he wants nothing more than for her to be with him forever but thats his selfishness. He loves her so much he wants her to remain human. He loves her and she wants to be with him forever too so he is willing to meet her on this debate eventhough he might be giving up his soul. He would do anything for her..

beautiful_in_blue
Wandering Through Town

Post by beautiful_in_blue »

1. Edward once said to Bella that he is much too selfish and wants her to be with him forever, he wants her to be immortal for himself, but for her he wants more than that. He's only as sure as Bella is with being changed and since Bella is absolutely sure than he can't exactly argue with that. As for the whole marrying him first thing, it may just be because he wants them to feel even more official. Back in the early 1900s he was ready to find a woman to marry, he was "that boy" as he once put it.

2. To keep her from going to Carlisle :D By agreeing to marry him first than she can't cheat. This compromise fufills Edward's wishes and at the same time Bella's. Though I do think part of it is for a delay.

3.To me it seemed like she just didn't want to be the center for gossip. No one gets married at her age unless she's been "knocked up" or something like that :P Granted that Renee and Charlie never really said marriage was the best thing in the world according to Bella. She's a very intricate person and I do believe there is something she's not being completely honest about. Why should she care what the other people think? As long as she is with Edward she should at least tie herself to him in every way I suppose.

4.To me, it seemed that Bella made it appear that way to him. She cares about being immortal but I don't think that wins over the importance of her love for him. It took Bella a while to realize that she was truly awake and Edward really still loved her, has always loved her. I don't blame him for feeling that way.

5. He is prepared to do it because that, in the end, is what she wants. What she wants is to spend the rest of eternity with him. Nothing scares her more than getting any older. Edward wants her to be happy with whatever she chooses and what she chooses is to be immortal. Even though Edward thinks he is murdering her soul he's willing because he wants her to be immortal as well. She's made her decision, she knows her future is with Edward. I believe it isn't morally weak of him at all. It may seem selfish but he would truly be selfish if she did not want the same fate. He's weak in a sense to Bella's desires :D
"This time we fight, side by side, you and I."

Commiting it to memory
Settled in Forks

Post by Commiting it to memory »

Because, he's realized that she won't change her mind, and of course he wants it himself.

For time maybe.

Yeah, I think she does. But I also think she's overreacting still. Bella, will be Bella. ^^

I think he doubts himself too much. He doesn't see himself clearly. He's totally lovable.

No, I don't think so.
"But," Edward went on, "If I had been able to take your place last night, it would not have made the top ten of the best nights of my life. Dream about that."

<b><i>BURN.</b></i>

twilightteacher
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilightteacher »

Wow! These are some really good, tough questions. I've been looking at them for two days wondering how to answer some of them.

I *hope* he is beginning to realize that this is what Bella really wants.

I don't think this is a strategy to delay Bella. For some reason part of me really believes what Edward is saying about being and old-fashioned boy. He has never had any experience with love. He knows what would have been the thing to do when he was human. I think he is still tied to that idea.

I think Bella's panic has more to do with the dissolution of Charlie and Renee's marriage. I refuse to believe that deep down Bella isn's sure about marrying Edward. How could she not be sure? Yes, it is one thing to be 18 and married right out of high school. The circumstances surrounding her marriage are just a little different though. Part of me feels like Bella doesn't really understand her own reasons. I think she needs to take time to figure out what the real issue is for her.

I think that like Bella Edward has a self-confidence issue. His issues are a little different from Bella's. I think that maybe he can't quite believe how lucky he is that Bella wants to be with him and that it's really not that she just wants to live forever. As if Bella would want immortality over Edward!

I don't think it's morally weak of him. I think he is prepared to do it because like Bella, he can't stand the idea of facing any amount of time without her. He tells her in NM that he can't live in a world where she doesn't exist. Well, if she stays human that will happen one day. I think he has finally realized this.

elysiepiecie

Post by elysiepiecie »

I think he realizes that he would rather take her mortality than see her killed or injured from someone else. I think he realizes the change will be inevitable whether or not he wants it. He also may be afraid of losing her to Jacob.

Because he wants her to have as many mortal experiences as possible. It could happen after he changes her, but it would be a few years and her parents probably wouldn't be there. It is kind of a way for her to say goodbye to mortal life. I also think that this strategy fills his desire to marry the one he loves. Fulfilling Bella's Anne of Green Gables visions.

I don't think that it is fear of commitment since she is so willing to commit to becoming a vampire. I think it is fear of what other people will think. The idea of marrying so young goes against what she learned as a child. You marry young, it is bound to fail. With the example of Charlie and Renee stuck in her mind, I can understand why she doesn't.

Edward has his insecurities about her love just like Bella does for his. Maybe he feels a bit threatened by Jacob and is starting to question her feelings? I'm not sure'

I think that he is prepared to do it because as he said he is selfish by nature. He wants Bella's to be his for eternity. I think that it is morally weak of him to do so if he believes he will be taking her soul. But, on the other hand, with Bella's determination, it would happen no matter what'so why not by the one who loves her most?