Chapter Ten: Scent

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Eclipse.
It_is_a_NewMoon
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by It_is_a_NewMoon »

1. Jacob says "C'mon you think someone is going to get past all -- all six of us?" Do you think his pause has to do with using the word werewolves as Bella suspects or do you think it has to do with the fact that Jacob has already been forbidden to reveal that the number of werewolves have been growing?

Yes, most probably.

2. What did you think of Edward's new found acceptance of Bella's judgment when it comes to her friendship with Jacob?

I thought it was very adult him but was extremely surprised by it. He's so protective of Bella, he can't very well let her out of his sight.

3. What was it that Bella caught a fleeting glimpse of in Edward's eyes as he left on page 237?

Fear - I think, scared of Bella falling for Jacob, scared for Bella's life.

4. What do you think of Edward and Jacob taking turns provoking each other by marking Bella with their scents and accentuating their relationships with her in front of each other?

Oh, I thought that was really funny! lol
[url=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][img]http://mbmfiles.com/a/080504-Qy-DJezh9Bfm.jpg[/img][/url]

NovaAlbion
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter Ten: Scent

Post by NovaAlbion »

Alphie wrote:1. Jacob says "C'mon you think someone is going to get past all -- all six of us?" Do you think his pause has to do with using the word werewolves as Bella suspects or do you think it has to do with the fact that Jacob has already been forbidden to reveal that the number of werewolves have been growing?
It is certainly the "reveal numbers" thing. Bella is mistaken. Jacob has used the word "werewolf" at least twice since the start of this visit to the Swan home, i.e in the previous 10 minutes. (Demonstrating healing - "Werewolf, remember?" (pg. 221), and "What's it like -- having a werewolf for a best friend" (pg. 222).) It isn't until page 223 that Bella, because of the pause suspects that he is having problems with the term "werewolf".
Alphie wrote:2. What did you think of Edward's new found acceptance of Bella's judgment when it comes to her friendship with Jacob?

It is about time. Love requires a certain amount of respect and trust in the loved one's capabilities - including their judgment. One of Edward's "problems" is that with his multiple "lifetimes" of adult experience, it is hard for him to recognize those times when others have more or more appropriate experience than he has. Even at this point, in spite of his previous experiences with the Quileutes, Bella has more and more focused experience "inside" the pack and with Jacob than he has. This is one case where her judgment is, in fact, better than Edward's. Her maximum risk with the werewolves is a slashed face. Her risk with the vampires is certain death, one way or the other.
Alphie wrote:3. What was it that Bella caught a fleeting glimpse of in Edward's eyes as he left on page 237?

Humor. He was making Jacob watch him kissing Bella, with enthusiasm, and probably reading (and enjoying) Jacob's mind/reaction while he was doing so.
Alphie wrote:4. What do you think of Edward and Jacob taking turns provoking each other by marking Bella with their scents and accentuating their relationships with her in front of each other?
It is pretty typical, male, competitive and adolescent. Even at 105, Edward has very little experience at this. Jacob has some excuse. He is only 16. By the end of Eclipse, it seems that they have finally "grown up".
" ... I sometimes think I'm not writing novels, I'm writing Rorschach tests."
David Gerrold, fantasy and science fiction novelist and screenwriter

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4332809/1/Out_Of_The_Blue
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4239728/1/Shirley_The_Vampire_Slayer

CamberXite
Digging the Castle Motif

Post by CamberXite »

1. Jacob says "C'mon you think someone is going to get past all -- all six of us?" Do you think his pause has to do with using the word werewolves as Bella suspects or do you think it has to do with the fact that Jacob has already been forbidden to reveal that the number of werewolves have been growing?

I don't think he was trying to hide the amount of werewolves , I think he was just afraid to say the word infront of her

2. What did you think of Edward's new found acceptance of Bella's judgment when it comes to her friendship with Jacob?

I think its great! If he loves her he would trust her feelings, she wants to be friends with Jake , so he should let her!

3. What was it that Bella caught a fleeting glimpse of in Edward's eyes as he left on page 237?

Jealousy obviously...

4. What do you think of Edward and Jacob taking turns provoking each other by marking Bella with their scents and accentuating their relationships with her in front of each other?

Haha! I thought it was hilarious , but I do feel sorry for Bella.
<center>[img]http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/6910/heartci7.png[/img]
[color=black][b] ✖ Chicken Noodle Soup and 2 Sodas on The Side! Aussie at heart !! ✖
Awesome banner and avie by Kit! <3[/color][/b]

[b][url=http://roomofrequirement.omgforum.net]CLICK HERE! ♥ Check Yes Juliet! ♥[/url][/b]<center>

bloodbound
Settled in Forks

Post by bloodbound »

He definately had the "gei" put on him by Sam. Also, Jacob would always want that upper hand in his relationship with Edward, what little there was

Very diplomatic. You know he just wants Jacob to go away but Bella insist on them all being friends. it keeps Bella happy and that is what Edward ultimately wants, Bella to be happy

Worry, anxiety, jealousy, envy, love.

It is like they are fighting over the best spot on the fire hydrant :D
Lady you bereft me of all words,
Only my blood speaks to you in my veins,
And there is such confusion in my powers.
William Shakespeare

inmytwilightyears
Settled in Forks

Post by inmytwilightyears »

1. My thought is that he knows that Edward is listening and he doesn't want the information on the pack size in the vampires hands. He has to be careful of his thoughts.

2. Edward is still young in relationships. He is learning at least that love involves trust. Bella has been very honest with him regarding Jacob (as far as she believes it herself) and showing that he trusts her is a giant step in their relationship.

3. I believe his reaction is due to the fact that Jacob was thinking about Bella and that he was going to tell her he loved her and would try to kiss her. But Edward again was having to trust Bella since he would not know her reaction to this. Again, he has to rely on trusting Bella and her feelings for him.

4. This is Edward and Jacob's first love along with Bella. It reminds me of watching the show the bacholar(sp?) and how some of the girls try so hard to be notice that they end of looking foolish. Neither one of these guys really know how Bella feels deep down, even Bella herself.[/quote]

dazzled&breathless
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by dazzled&breathless »

Honestly the werewolve numbers thing never entered my mind till it was mentioned hear. That definitely makes more sense because Jacob is proud to be a werewolve and protect the tribe, so he wouldn't be afraid to say the word.
Edward realized Bella would most likely hurt herself, and he realized that Bella defintely didn't see the friendship the same way as Jacob. So he accepted that Bella needed to be friends with Jacob like before.
I think sadness because he sees that Bella does need some time with Jacob, that a little part of her doesn't have to be with Edward. Also sad because motorcycles is something that he doesn't get to do with Bella.
I think it is so funny. Typical guys trying to mark what is theirs, it is especially funny because Bella doesn't really realize what is going on at first with the hugs (Jacob) and kisses (Edward). Even making the other jealous with shows of affection with her it a typical guy.
Staring into his eyes always made me feel extraordinary-- sort of like my bones were turning spongy. I was also a little lightheaded, but that could have been because I'd forgotten to keep breathing. Again.

Awesome avatar by Saffron Sunset @ Vesperarium!!

Hey you guys! Some Twilighters are setting up an alternate lex while our beloved lex is down. BUT! There isn't going to be any spoilers!! It is at: http://ouralternatelex.friendhood.net/index.htm

edwards_brunette_bella
Teaching Eric Social Graces
Location: Taking a nap with Edward in his golden bed....LEAVE US ALONE!!!!!!

Post by edwards_brunette_bella »

I think it had to do woth the growing numbers because of Edward. I think maybe he was a little scared Bella would tell Edward and he would forbid Bella from seeing him.

2. What did you think of Edward's new found acceptance of Bella's judgment when it comes to her friendship with Jacob
I thought it was really sweet of him because of jacob being his enemy and everything. He was willing to set aside his differences with Jacob for Bella's happiness.

What was it that Bella caught a fleeting glimpse of in Edward's eyes as he left on page 237?
I don't have a book handy so I don't know....

I thought it was good for them. Because they both loved Bella, they were able to set aside their differences and get to know each other, which could lead to a greater friendship in BD since they are both understanding guyes.
[img]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/sweetrala/twilighticon1ver2.jpg[/img]

I ♥ CC, MY BESTEST SIS!!!!! *HUGGLES* =D

masochistic_kiss
Wandering Through Town

Post by masochistic_kiss »

I think it's most likely that he wasn't allowed to reveal the wolves' large numbers. He never seems to have a problem saying it at other times.

I was pretty sure it was partially a tactic, trying to show Bella that he could let her have some fun, too. To add to that, he didn't want to try and tear Bella any farther apart at that point; he could see what it was doing to her. It was very nice of him.

Most likely, I think it was fear--fear that something was going to happen--and a bit of jealousy. He probably wonders how much, exactly, of Bella's heart belongs to Jacob. Is it almost a tie? I imagine that would be eating him up, and, of course, he always wants to spend time with Bella.

That was hilarious.
It reminds me of all the guys in our grade, spraying their nasty cologne around their lockers, trying to annoy the heck out of each other, when it really just annoys the heck out of the girls. I'm willing to bet that bothered Bella, too. No one asked how she felt about it.
[img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q234/lonealphess/eidbanner.jpg[/img]
[size=75]graphics from Paradise Seeker.[/size]

admirallily
Teaching Eric Social Graces
Location: In a big white house in the forest by the river. They say vampires live here.

Re: Chapter Ten: Scent

Post by admirallily »

[quote="Alphie"]Thanks to AmberEyes for the questions!

A: Can I say both? :D

A: As always, it's about her happiness. As he said, he wasn't going to let this drive a wedge between them. He's mature enough to look for the compromise they can both live with.

A: Concern. As much as he wanted to believe she would be okay, he doesn't trust many other people to keep her safe except for himself. And, even though he would accept it if she changed her mind about being with him, it wouldn't be easy to give in, but he would. I think he feared the possibility.

A: I'm biased I know, but Edward's seems a little more "I'm trying to annoy you" while Jacob's is "I'm trying to hurt you". These's 'you's not being Bella. And there's a big difference between annoying and causing pain.
[img]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i165/admirallily/17AgainQuotebyAL.gif[/img]
Hee! I crack up every time I see that clip!

Commiting it to memory
Settled in Forks

Post by Commiting it to memory »

I think both.

2. What did you think of Edward's now found acceptance of Bella's judgment when it comes to her friendship with Jacob?
I think he's the sweetest, most unselfish character, ever!

He was either sad, or jealous.

It's actually kind of funny. XD
"But," Edward went on, "If I had been able to take your place last night, it would not have made the top ten of the best nights of my life. Dream about that."

<b><i>BURN.</b></i>