Chapter Five: Imprint

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Eclipse.
malihaa01
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter Five: Imprint

Post by malihaa01 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:04 pm

1. How do you feel about imprinting?
i think its kind of.. odd? i guess. i took it in my stride. the wolves HAD to have other weird things about them.. & this is definitely weird. i kind of sucky way to find your soulmate. :/ real pushy.

2. Does Sam's story make you feel differently about the wolves? Do you feel more compasionate towards them? Why or why not?
i felt bad for sam. :( but mostly, leah. sam still got his true love, but leah got.. nothing. unless she ends up with jake in BD! :O

3. Do you think Jacob was wrong to show Edward the images of Bella while he was away from her?
it was mean. definitely. and wrong. but i think he had a right. from the jake's pov what eddie did was.. more than the most horrible thing ever (other than changing bella into a vamp). dotnt get me wrong, im team edward ALL THE WAY. bella & edward belong together! but i still love jake. :]

4. Do Bella's actions towards Jacob (promising to come back when Edward is away, holding hands with him instead of letting him touch her face) say something different than what she intends them to say?
asfjda;slkfjdalskfjdasd, I HATE BELLA. she messed up e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. its her fault. she needed to draw some lines. eddie didnt help with anything.. he was all "its okay, i know your friends.. BLAH BLAH". but bella shouldve known better. :/

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the wolves being able to see each others thoughts, even the most personal ones?
Advantages:nothing is left unknown. the wolves HAVE to stay true to each other.
Disadvantages:the advantage.
--maliha

[img]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn80/femmefatale1990/orig-3745341.jpg[/img]

Commiting it to memory
Settled in Forks

Post by Commiting it to memory » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:12 am

Very strange, but how wonderful that would be! To be so sure.

2. Does Sam's story make you feel differently about the wolves? Do you feel more compasionate towards them? Why or why not?
Yes, sure.

3. Do you think Jacob was wrong to show Edward the images of Bella while he was away from her?
Oh yes. That was not cool. It hurts Bella so much. He knows that, but he does it anyway.

4. Do Bella's actions towards Jacob (promising to come back when Edward is away, holding hands with him instead of letting him touch her face) say something different than what she intends them to say?
Most definitely.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the wolves being able to see each others thoughts, even the most personal ones?
Advantages, no secrets, no lies. Could coordinate better. Disadvantages, embarrassing, no secrets for yourselfs.
"But," Edward went on, "If I had been able to take your place last night, it would not have made the top ten of the best nights of my life. Dream about that."

<b><i>BURN.</b></i>

texas_girl
Settled in Forks

Post by texas_girl » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:38 pm

I think it is really interesting...because it's basically the werewolf version of soul mates. It makes me wonder though, if Jacob and Bella ever were there is always the chance that he could be imprinted and leave Bella alone. Although I am already Team Edward this chapter just made me even more convinced that Bella should not be with Jacob.

2. Does Sam's story make you feel differently about the wolves? Do you feel more compassionate towards them? Why or why not?

Yes, I suppose. Mostly I was frustrated for them though. It must be so hard not having any control of anything.

I think it just shows his immaturity. He knows he's losing and he's stooping to low levels to try and win Bella but it only hurts his cause even more.

She is definitely leading him on more. I think it's hard for me to read the parts where she physically acts like Jacob is her boyfriend. Mostly because she's either with him or she's not and she shouldn't compromise just because she doesn't want to hurt anyone.

I think it lays it out in the book well.
Team Edward~ ALL THE WAY!!

Aninami
Wandering Through Town

Post by Aninami » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:12 pm

Its the same as vampires "singers". That's the first thing I thought of when they talked about it.

Finding out about imprinting made me mad at Jacob. If he knew that he could potentially leave Bella for the girl that he imprints on in the future, it is extremely selfish to ask her to give up someone who is true for someone who isn't even bound to her on that kind of level.

2. Does Sam's story make you feel differently about the wolves? Do you feel more compassionate towards them? Why or why not?

I feel bad for the victim in the story (Leah) but its nice to think that Sam had found his soul mate. I feel more like they should understand each other (Vampires and Werewolves) because they have so many similarities between them. If only Bella had explained her relationship with Edward was like he was imprinted on her, or rather, she to him. Because no matter how much she loves Jacob, she'll never love him as much as Edward.

No. Not at all. Sure it was a little cruel. But he needs to know exactly how him leaving effected her. He needs to know what will happen if he ever did it again. It's not fair to come back to a situation and not be shown the repercussions of your actions.

She's in denial. He helped her through her dark ages. He was her sun for crying out loud. I'd be surprised if she didn't fall in love with him. Her actions (like holding hands, wanting to be with him, telling him she cares about him) are all her real emotions trying to escape subconsciously. Although she told herself that she felt like only a friend to him. When Edward was away, she couldn't see herself with anyone but him, and if they were together it would never be the same kind of love she had for Edward. When he came back, it was too late, the damage was done, she had already developed a strong relationship with Jacob, so she couldn't just go back to how it was pre-break up.

Advantages: Stratigize, a sense of "brother-hood", never feeling like no one understands them, knowing the instant that one of them needs help or has found what they were looking for, and then knowing where that person is.

Disadvantages: Never having a personal thought ever. Having your emotions effect those around you. The whole situation between Sam and Leah attributes to this.

twilightteacher
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilightteacher » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:01 pm

It's a little odd. I almost feel like it seems to take away free will on the part of the imprintee. Do they realize what is happening to them? Is it something inate in them that the love was always there but it is buried deep inside? I feel like it isn't. I would rather have the choice to love someone than to be drawn in with imprinting. Maybe I'm not understanding it as well as other people.

I don't think I feel any differently towards them. I feel like I "get" Sam a little more before...I'm not sure if I actually like him yet though.

I think it was cruel for Jake to do it but I get why he did it. Part of me--a small part--thinks that it was important for Edward to see just how bad it was for Bella during that dark time. She never really told him about that at the end of New Moon.

I think she seems to be confused. I think it does sort of lead Jake on a little. I also don't think it's really fair to either boy. The promising to visit when Edward is away sounds a little like sneaking around. First of all she shouldn't have to sneak around but she should also be honest about what she will be doing when he is away. I think she needs to think about her actions towards Jake and how they could be taken.

One huge advantage is that they know when someone in the pack is in trouble. I would hate for someone else to know my personal thoughts. I think with some things we all tend to "edit" (as Edward put it). There is no editing when there are other people inside your head listening to your thoughts...that would stink.

VPnymph
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by VPnymph » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:54 pm

I really don't think this is a very simple question to answer. THis is because I think Imprinting, as a concept, seems quite cruel and unfair on those who're left behind. But at the same time, it's not the persons fault and I don't think it's as twisted as my mum did when she read about Quill and Claire! Because it's how dear, old Jacob explained it, he can be anything towards Claire, not just a lover or mate. He's more like her protector untill she is old enough.
[img]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l292/Jack_has_no_chance/If-I-could-Dream.gif[/img] [img]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l292/Jack_has_no_chance/AliceAvatar1.jpg[/img][img]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l292/Jack_has_no_chance/JasperAvatar1.jpg[/img] [img]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l292/Jack_has_no_chance/TonksAnimated.gif[/img]

elysiepiecie
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by elysiepiecie » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:04 pm

Imprinting is a weird thing. It would be wonderful to find your soul mate like that, but it is if the other person does not have a choice.

Sam's story did make me realize that they too do feel emotion. I felt more compassionate toward Sam, Emily, and Leah. I don't know why it made me feel this way, I think it is just the heartache that made me feel this way.

I do think that Edward had a right to know what Bella looked like and endured while he was away. That being said, I don't think it was right for Jacob to show Edward these images in a malicious way.

I think it gives Jacob a bit of a false hope. I do not hold my guy friend's hand just for the fun of it. The connotation of holding hands is something very personal and it shows more than just friendship to me. But I understand why she holds his hand.

I think one of the advantages is that the wolves are able to coordinate in a fight. It comes in handy strategic wise. But the downside of it is that there is no such thing as a private personal life.

jaspersfanpire
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Resurrecting Edward from the book and into real life

Post by jaspersfanpire » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:12 pm

1. I wasn't really surprised to learn about it. It seems like a pretty wolfy quality. Plus, vampires sort of have their own imprinting system. Once they find a mate that they truly love, they become 100 percent devoted to them and their wants and needs.

2. No, not really. I admit that it's pretty sad.

3. No, I think Edward had a right to see how Bella was actually. I kind of wanted him to see what he did, even though I love Edward.

4. It's probably leading Jake on. I agree with what elysiepiecie said.

5. Advantages are that they can hunt better, they can learn about each other quicker, there are no secrets, and they will be able to sympathize with each other's problems. Disadvantages are that there are no secrets and all of the embarassing and personal things about them are on display. Also, private mental images are open for everyone to see.
"I was with Edward in my happy place."