Chapter Five: Imprint

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Eclipse.
dazzle_me_daily
Wandering Through Town

Post by dazzle_me_daily »

1. How do you feel about imprinting?
i thought it was really interesting. at first i kind of didn't like it because of what it did to leah, but i mean, if you were meant to be with someone else i guess there's nothing you can do about it.

2. Does Sam's story make you feel differently about the wolves? Do you feel more compasionate towards them? Why or why not?
well, i don't know. sam has never been my favorite character because he's so hard to like. you like him then you hate him and it's hard to really say. i wouldn't say it made me more compassionate, but i did have a different view of things

3. Do you think Jacob was wrong to show Edward the images of Bella while he was away from her?
yes. that is what made me dislike jacob's character. it's one thing to hate someone, but another to torment them with something that already bothers them. edward knows he was wrong and i wouldn't doubt he regrets it on a daily basis so what jacob did was childish and stupid. i don't care if he loves her he shouldn't have done that.

4. Do Bella's actions towards Jacob (promising to come back when Edward is away, holding hands with him instead of letting him touch her face) say something different than what she intends them to say?
in a way bella did lead jacob on and i feel bad for him. by saying all these things it led jacob to thinking he still had a chance with her even when she had no intention of leaving edward for jacob.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the wolves being able to see each others thoughts, even the most personal ones?
the advantage is you know if one of your friends is in trouble or not. the disadvantage is if you need time to yourself to think everyone is thinking your thoughts along with you.
[img]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/peachesandcream_08/edward%20cullen/Edward_Cullen.png[/img]
then he smiled my favorite crooked smile...<3

emmelman
Settled in Forks

Post by emmelman »

1. I don't really have any feelings on it. I thinks it's really nice for werewolves to know who their soul mate is at one point without condition.

2. It didn't make me feel more compasionate for werewolves. I feel their pain with my own ideas. The only thing it did do was help me see how being a werewolf can suck. (didn't see it before)

3. No...it was cold blooded (PUN ^o^) but even if edward knew how much he hurt bella, he can't read her mind to see the extent. It's like bitter medicene. Jake was mean and vengeful for it but i can't say I wouldn't have done it in his position because a PHD doctor can act like a fool when in the DOA (delusion of affections).

4. I'm sure she doesn't mean to give mixed signals like that but I think that those light barriers that she made to say 'we're just friends' aren't as strong as they needed to be. Jake has himself convinced he 'loves' Bella, he won't give up.

5. No secrets= nothing to spend energy keeping from friends. With everyone knowing everything, there is a bond that is good for a pack (I think). Plus it's great for fighting. Just look at how fun war games have gotten thanks to ear pieces.

iheartedcullen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter Five: Imprint

Post by iheartedcullen »

I have mixed reactions. One part of me thinks its unfair because it takes away choices. It seems confining, for both the imprinter and imprintee. On the other hand, no one who experienced it seems to be complaining. Really, its only the ones who haven't experienced it that seem bitter about it (Jacob, Leah) so maybe I'm just on the wrong side of the fence on that one. Maybe its kind of like arranged marriages, and how countries that practice that have 5% divorce rate vs. the US's 50% divorce. *shrug* Not too mention that part of me that thinks its kind of romantic.

2. Does Sam's story make you feel differently about the wolves? Do you feel more compassionate towards them? Why or why not?

Yeah, I guess it did a little bit. To be honest, I wasn't really hating him before. I was picking up on the fact that there is more of the story than we know and was withholding my judgment until we got more information.

3. Do you think Jacob was wrong to show Edward the images of Bella while he was away from her?

It was pretty bratty, but I can't its morally wrong. Just immature and irritating.

4. Do Bella's actions towards Jacob (promising to come back when Edward is away, holding hands with him instead of letting him touch her face) say something different than what she intends them to say?

Yes. She was telling her self that she was setting limits, but in reality she was not wanting to let Jacob go, so she was giving him just enough to hang on.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the wolves being able to see each others thoughts, even the most personal ones?

Obviously the main advantage is the ease of communication. The disadvantages are, in fact, the most personal thoughts. And the dreams. Yikes!
[img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/leahmsilverman/TwilightLexiconBanner911Turbo.jpg[/img]

bunny99
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by bunny99 »

I like it, but it's not always a good thing. I believe in soul mates and having that someone you are mean to to be with, but people get hurt. Both parties involved have no choice but to accept what has happened. It seems a little primitive, or like an arranged marriage.

2. Does Sam's story make you feel differently about the wolves? Do you feel more compassionate towards them? Why or why not?

Sam's story made me realize that the wolves have a lot of issues I would never have thought of before. It must kill Sam to have to think about what has happened to the people he loves day after day. The whole Sam/Emily/Leah story really got to me. They should all have the right to love who they chose, not who is chosen for them.

A little, but if Edward ever doubted her feelings for him, he can forget that. She loves him, he loves her. Jacob showing him those images probably strengthened his choice never to leave her again. I felt bad for Edward because it must of broken his heart with every second he saw her like that.

Yes, they are leading him on. I'm an Edward fan all the way, but I felt bad for Jacob. I knew Bella would break his heart, but he really thought he had a chance with her.

An advantage is that they are always communicating with one another. They can be prepared if they are faced with a dangerous situation. A disadvantage is no privacy. The wolves seem to have the short end of the stick on many things.

raindrops32
Settled in Forks

Post by raindrops32 »

1. How do you feel about imprinting? I think it sounds kind of like an arranged marriage. That you don't have any control over what happens it is left up to someone else to decide for you. I mean what is you ended up imprinting with a phsycho...YIKES.
2. Does Sam's story make you feel differently about the wolves? Do you feel more compasionate towards them? Why or why not? I think this is a hard one to answer, because I have mixed feelings on it. I think sure it's hard and maybe dissappointing but not disastorous. So while it is unfortunate, live with it.
3. Do you think Jacob was wrong to show Edward the images of Bella while he was away from her? No, I think that Jacob hurt a lot for Bella, and he really needed to do that to know that Edward understood everything. Also I think Edward was a little grateful, he can't read Bella's thoughts so he really had no idea the depth of the emotion she felt. This gave him a very real image of the depth of her emotion for him, and let him understand everything. Edward likes to analyze everything so he needed this to think over too.
4. Do Bella's actions towards Jacob (promising to come back when Edward is away, holding hands with him instead of letting him touch her face) say something different than what she intends them to say? ABSOLUTELY. You don't tell a guy that you will come back when you boyfriend is away and not have a double meaning. Like we can have a relationship when he isn't here. FALSE HOPE!!! I think that she liked to hold his hand because it was so warm and human. She was still holding on to some of that within herself and feeling confused. When she makes the change all the warmth will be gone.
5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the wolves being able to see each others thoughts, even the most personal ones? I think that the real advantage is really the disadvantage. That they can read each others thoughts. Period.

Lisa Marie
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Lisa Marie »

To be honest.. didnt really like it. the whole not being able to be in control of who you fall in love with seemed a little.. off with me. :?

2. Does Sam's story make you feel differently about the wolves? Do you feel more compasionate towards them? Why or why not?

I felt so sorry for Sam Leah and Emily. I really like the wolves and it seems so difficult for them.

Yes. Edward is reminded everyday of how Bella was and i bet beats himself up all the time over it. Really didn't like Jacob when he did that , rubbing salt into the wound and all that.

I beleive Bella was just acting as she always had with Jake , comfortable and yes close to him in more than a friendly way (sigh).

Advantages - Helping each other , very good communication , excellent in a fight.

Disadvantages - personal feelings getting thrown out there. I really dont think i could deal with it.

:wink:

cindyrella
Settled in Forks

Post by cindyrella »

I thought the concept of it was very interesting. I was thinking about it and the whole thing is still a little foggy to me. The way I see it is that it doesn't have to be a romantic sort of love. I'm not sure if I have the concept wrong or what, but I think of it as something more than a romantic connection. To me it seems like a bond stronger than blood, love and family. It seems like a bond that was written for two people even before their time and has no comprehensive explanation. Just thinking about being linked with someone like that gives me the chills.

No actually, I have never disliked the werewolves to the point where I didn't feel at least some compassion towards them. At points in the series I have disapproved of their actions, but then again so have the vampires/Cullens. Jacob has always been my favorite character in the books so yeah'

No, mostly because I am a Jacob supporter. I will say that it may not have been necessary for Jacob to do that to Edward, but Jacob is Jacob. He probably feels that Edward already has so many accomplishments that he wanted to knock him down a peg. It wasn't nice, but all is fair in love and war. Besides, Edward hasn't always been nice to Jacob either.

I think Stephanie was doing a little foreshadowing with those actions. I mean Bella didn't even realize she liked Jacob in a romantic sort of way until the end of the book. At the time Bella thought she was just being friendly, but she was probably already subconsciously in love with Jacob.

Obvious advantages are great communications during fights and stuff. Another advantage is always knowing that somewhere out there you have someone to count on. This could also be a disadvantage. Talk about major invasion of privacy, not to mention seeing things you might not even want to see from other people. lol
[img]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j187/dare2dream0728/graphics/jakeandbella.png[/img]
graphics made by me.

GABItheGreat31395
Wandering Through Town

Post by GABItheGreat31395 »

I think its awsome! The hassel of dating eliminated! Plus, You know that perosn will always adore you.

Well, in a way I do. Like i feel bad that that they have to ALWAYS control their rage, and they dont have a choice. But on the other hand, they dont age, there tall and strong, and they turn into big fluffy animals :]

Oh no, not at all. Like I love edward WAY more than jacob. but he deserved it.

Not really. To me its saying, we are best friends, but now that my boyfriends back, we need to chill out a bit.

I think thats useful at times. But it must really stink having to share even your SUPER personal thoughts. Loss of privacy and not even at your own will. :[
[img]http://i27.tinypic.com/141pjlc.jpg[/img]

white_rose_at_twilight
Wandering Through Town

Post by white_rose_at_twilight »

Slightly confused. I understand that it has to do with the werewolf thing and thatyou can't help your feelings for the person you imprint on, but not much else.

Not really. I never had any hard feeling for the wolves. It's there nature.

Yes and no. Jacob had the righ to do that for what he did to Bella, but it wasn't the best way to handle the situation.

It depends of how you interprite it.

Advantages:

able to see if another wolf is hurt or in trouble,

they know in any change of any plan they might have,

get their mind off distractions, ect...

Disadvantages:

Like Jacob, every secret is out in the open,

Most likle, no peace,

intrrupting important thoughts, ect...
Standing on nertral ground.

twilight-hard
Settled in Forks

aha

Post by twilight-hard »

I love it ..its liek kind of romantic and kind of not. The time they look into each others lives they know instantly they were soul mates and meant to be together . You dont have to think it over like it sounds amazing It sweet .
Ive alwasy been compassionate about them , think about it you could change into something that you wouldnt want to be, a monster. But its your job and you cant help it or do anything about it . It would kind of suck.
He had the right to do it i wanted edward to see the pain he left behind in bella, but then again that was an extremly immature thing to do but smart.i wouldnt have thought of that.4. Do Bella's actions towards Jacob (promising to come back when Edward is away, holding hands with him instead of letting him touch her face) say something different than what she intends them to say?
I think even holding hands maybe showing that bella wants something more than friends and jacob would be happy to do that he takes in whatever he can get.
Knowing if theyre talking about you
Dont need to put them on your fave 5
Knowing if your friends need your help or when they are in trouble.

Then You would lose your privacy even in your head.and you cant help it.