Chapter Four: Nature

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Eclipse.
admirallily
Teaching Eric Social Graces
Location: In a big white house in the forest by the river. They say vampires live here.

Re: Chapter Four: Nature

Post by admirallily »

1. Were you rooting for Bella to make it to LaPush or were you hoping that Alice would stop her? Why?

A: I wasn't rooting because I still felt like Edward that the wolves were a danger.

2. Do you think it was right for Bella to dart off to LaPush to see Jacob? Could she do more harm than good?

A: I don't think it was right but I understand why she did. And in the end she does need to make her own choices.

3. Who do you think would win in a real, full out fight between the werewolves and vampires? Why?

A: The Vampires. They have more experience. The werewolves are sock in their abilities and unjustly so. They haven't seen as much as they like to pretend they have.

4. Do you think Jacob was right in assuming that everything would be fine had Edward not come back into Bella's life? Why?

A: No. Things could have gotten better but I think he underestimates Bella in this way, as did Edward.

5. Do you consider Jacob "human" in the sense that he means he is human? Or does his phasing negate his humanity? He has humanity but he's not really human anymore. Like Edward.
[img]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i165/admirallily/17AgainQuotebyAL.gif[/img]
Hee! I crack up every time I see that clip!

fantasia
Learning to Love Green

Post by fantasia »

1. Were you rooting for Bella to make it to La Push, or were you hoping that Alice would stop her? Why?

I'll admit, I was kind of hoping Alice would stop her. I think Jake is a great friend to Bella, but he stirs up too much trouble in her and Edward's relationship!!

2. Do you think it was right for Bella to dart off to La Push to see Jacob? Could she do more harm than good?

I don't think it was outright wrong, but she should have thought a little harder about it. I think going there caused several unnecessary problems later in the book, especially with Edward.

3. Who do you think would win in a real, full out fight between the werewolves and vampires? Why?

I want to say it would be a draw, but I'm not so sure. Vampires aren't entirely indestructible, but they have lots of experience when it comes to fighting, and can move so fast it's a blur to the rest of us! Werewolves are strong, and can heal very, very fast, but are technically still mortal...I think they might lose.

4. Do you think Jacob was right in assuming that everything would be fine had Edward not come back into Bella's life? Why?

No, I don't think he was right at all. I think Bella would have always wondered about Edward be it 3 months, 3 years, 30 years down the line. I think Jacob helped alleviate the pain at the time, but wasn't enough to help her get over it entirely.

5. Do you consider Jacob "human" in the sense that means he is human? Or does his phasing negate his humanity?

I think of Jacob as a human with a choice. As long as he keeps phasing, he doesn't age...but he's still quite vulnerable in comparison to a vampire. He also said most werewolves choose to age after a time, to die with the people they love...which puts me more on the human side of the fence.
[b][color=black]Team Edward!![/b][/color]

[url=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][img]http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/4394/mybanner485956bbe83deid5.jpg[/img][/url]

joy
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter Four: Nature

Post by joy »

[quote="Alphie"]1. Were you rooting for Bella to make it to LaPush or were you hoping that Alice would stop her? Why?
I didn't want Bella going to La Push. I wish Bella on her own accord would have some sense. Edward is back and he is her life and she so easily flirts around with Jacob. I was a little annoyed with Bella. Yes, she can have friends but we know that Jacob is more than a friend. If your boyfriend was wanting to hang out with a girl that he had these feelings for would you want him hanging out with her? I didn't think so...Now if Jacob was gay and she went around holding his hand leaning her head on his shoulder then that would be fine.

2. Do you think it was right for Bella to dart off to LaPush to see Jacob? Could she do more harm than good?
I understand that Jacob is someone Bella feels very close to because after Edward left her Jacob was there for her and cares deeply for her but now Edward is back and its time to take a look at how this relationship should go. She could have done harm, not on purpose but Edward might get overly anxious and cross the line thinking he needs to protect Bella causing war to break out.
The vampires. They have been around a long time and have been vampires this whole time. Jasper is a very gifted warrior.Where as the werewolves (alot of them) have just changed and are learning the ropes.
I think Bella would never truly get over her first love, always wondering where is was, what he was doing. She would be staring off and Jacob would know that look and know that Bella was thinking of Edward. I think Jacob would always wonder if he was second best.
5. I would consider Jake human. Eventhough he phases into the werewolf.He still is essentially human..

Commiting it to memory
Settled in Forks

Post by Commiting it to memory »

1. Were you rooting for Bella to make it to LaPush or were you hoping that Alice would stop her? Why?
I was rooting, because I felt bad for Jacob. And I love their friendship.

I didn't think anything of the flyer and thought she was overreacting a little bit, but that's Bella. ^^

I think it really depends on what kind of vampires. The Cullens? Newborns? I think with the Cullens werewolves would lose. I guess it's because their strength has always been explained and showed more. But I would think that the Cullens are much stronger than Jake and the pack.

Honestly, no. Because she probably would have ended up doing something crazier to hear Edward.

5. Do you consider Jacob "human" in the sense that he means he is human? Or does his phasing negate his humanity?
It doesn't negate it completely. But he is really less human. He himself has changed and he seems much older, acts much older. It's rare when Bella encounters him and sees the old (human) Jacob.

"But," Edward went on, "If I had been able to take your place last night, it would not have made the top ten of the best nights of my life. Dream about that."

<b><i>BURN.</b></i>

inmytwilightyears
Settled in Forks

Post by inmytwilightyears »

I was mad. In the previous chapter, Jacob has cause Edward extreme pain by remembering Bella during the time that Edward was gone. He was laughing and said "That's funny" as he watched Edward. Bella even commented that Edward's face was like watching Jane do the same thing to him. Bella still wanted to see Jacob after that? If one friend had inflicted pain on another friend like that I would never want anything to do with them again!

Nothing good. It seemed to me that Edward was not her first priority. Maybe she wasn't over Edward leaving her and still needed a safety net.

Wishful thinking. Bella was letting her guard down, but it would never be the same love she had/has with Edward. Until Bella could have closure with Edward, it was going to be hard for her to move forward.

5. Do you consider Jacob "human" in the sense that he means he is human? Or does his phasing negate his humanity?
I think Webster's dictionary states it best: Biologists classify humans as a species (Homo sapiens) of primates and the only surviving species of the genus Homo. The species is commonly referred to as "humankind" or "humanity" and its members as "humans", "human beings" or "people". The species name Homo sapiens is an uncountable noun and has no plural form. Man is a male human being and woman is a female human being. All current humans, from across all areas of the Earth, are of this species
Thus Vampires and Werewolves are human. They both display "humanity" they have become a different "species" in that form.

lshluvr
Wandering Through Town

Post by lshluvr »

I was rooting for Bella because I knew that Edward would say something to Bella after she came back and remind us, readers, how amazingly protective Edward is! =D

Yes, because in a way...it's the least she could do for someone who was there for her when Edward left. In a way, she did more harm because it seemed to have hurt Jacob a little more.

Vampires. They have special skills that would definitely come in handy. Like...Jasper could make the werewolves relax and then the others could attack. Plus, the scent of the werewolves don't burn vampires' noses.

Nope. Bella clearly couldn't let go of Edward and I don't think she would have been able to even after time.

Psh...nope. Jacob is not human. He's a werewolf.
Avatar credits to: <a href="http://drunk-machine.livejournal.com/">drunk_machine</a> and <a href="http://sarahdoesdesign.livejournal.com/">sarahdoesdesign</a>

twilightteacher
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilightteacher »

I was hoping that she wouldn't make it to La Push. I wanted Alice to stop her. I guess I just don't want to see her and Edward fight about this. There was enough misery in New Moon to last a lifetime.

I can understand her need to see a friend but I think it does more harm. She knows how Jake feels about her and how he feels about her relationship with Edward. I don't think it is fair to Jake to put him through that. In turn, I don't think it's fair to Edward either.

Vampires! Well, I'm partial so that could be a reason.

I don't think so! Bella says herself that even if she could move on with Jacob there would still be pieces that were missing. Edward is her soul mate and when a soul mate leaves you just don't get over that.

No, he's a warewolf.

elysiepiecie
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by elysiepiecie »

I was rooting for Bella to make it down to La Push, even though Jacob does get on my nerves. I think I was just hoping that this would help Edward back off some. I'm a very independent person and don't know how well I would handle being told that I couldn't go somewhere.

I think it was fine for Bella to go down to La Push. I know this could hurt the trust in Edward and Bella's relationship, but I also think it will show Edward that Bella should not have to chose between him and her friendship with Jacob.

I think that the werewolves are a lot of brute strength and their ability to communicate with each other is amazing. But keeping that in mind I have a feeling that the vampires would fare well on their own. They are just as strong and quick, they are also cunning. I have a feeling that the fight would not be a quick one, but I would hope that the vampires would win. Even before Twilight I was a bigger vampire fan.

This one is a toughie. I do understand how he could come to this conclusion since Bella was beginning to heal without Edward. But, I don't think that she would ever be whole again without him. I think that she would be okay to the point where she could get on with life, but I think her ability to love would not be up to par.

I think genetically Jacob is not human, but emotionally and mentally he is. It is just like the Cullen's, they are not alive, their genetic makeup is not human anymore'but emotionally they do feel human emotions. This is a big issue, as an anthropology student, it is one of those questions that I am often faced with. What makes a human human? Is it culture? Emotions? There are many different ways that this could be looked at, but technically I think Jacob is human.

jaspersfanpire
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Resurrecting Edward from the book and into real life

Post by jaspersfanpire »

1. I really really wanted Alice to stop her. It's so unfair to Edward. Wasn't Bella thinking of him at all? She was being really selfish. Wasn't Jake supposed to be at school, too? What, he just ditched so he could be with Bella? I think that's a little too overdramatic.

2. It was wrong. She should have accepted the fact that it's Edward or Jake. Obviously, she's going to choose Edward. It was wrong of her to be sneaking around behind Edward's back.

3. Vamps. The Cullens' have more experience, they are smarter, and they have more and better powers and skills.

4. Unfortunately, I do think that Bella would eventually have come to a point where she could be able to accept her loss of Edward (not heal from it, just accept), and would have felt right enough to be with Jake.

5. Jake is so not human and he shouldn't have put himself into that category. For christs sakes, he's a giant wolf! His temperature and quick healing are in no way human. But I understand that he was just desperately trying to give Bella reasons to pick him.
"I was with Edward in my happy place."