Chapter One: Ultimatum

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Eclipse.
Mirrorbay2000
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Mirrorbay2000 »

1. Are Charlie's feelings toward Edward justified?
Yes, and completely so. More than anyone else than Bella herself, Charlie had to deal with Edward leaving. Charlie watched Bella fall to pieces after he left. Charlie was the only to had to live with the shell Bella became. He loves his daughter and wants what best for her. As a police officer, I think that Charlie is trained to be careful. He knows what to see in a repeat offender (not that Forks has seen the likes of one.)

2. Have you ever had a parent disapprove of a relationship?
My mother seems to find them more funny than anything...

3. Describe your thoughts about Jacobs's message to Bella.
It was heartbreaking yet bogus. Rosalie is supposed to be the pigheaded, stubborn one. The wolves and vampires are so blinded by there prejudice with one another that they can't accept harmony. And more so, I believe its Edward's fault because he has more influence on Bella. Jacob talks the talk because its the only thing he has. But yes, I think it was very prejudiced and selfish. Jacob can't get over himself enough in this chapter to forgive Bella.

4. Do you feel Edward was being unreasonable in not wanting Bella to go to La Push?
Unreasonable? Not necessarily. But like Jacob, he's too stubborn and prejudiced to see how good they are for Bella.

5. Do your Dad and his best friend gossip like old women?
Not that I know of...
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/n2cuq9.jpg[/img]

dazzled1308
Wandering Through Town

Post by dazzled1308 »

Uuhhhh . . . HECK YES! Of course Charlie should feel P.O.'d that his daughter would get back together with some stupid boy who broke her heart . . . but, that is not the whole story. I suppose that if Charlie knew the whole story, he wouldn't feel so opposed to Edward in that sense, instead, he wouldn't let Bella near Edward because of the whole "he could kill her" thing.

No, I'm still too young, but I do someday hope to find my Edward.:roll:

I thought that Jacob was very harsh on her, and made it even worse when he just left the crossed-out lines. As Bella said, "as if the points of the letters had cutting edges".

4. Do you feel Edward was being unreasonable in not wanting Bella to go to La Push?

A little, but because I love Edward so much, I simply had to let it go. Looking back, I can see how (because Edward was so protective and worried for Bella) by not being able to "save" her from himself, Edward felt that if Bella got hurt, it would be his fault and he sees La Push as a dangerous place to be; ergo, he is simply trying to protect her as best as he can.

No, never. My dad is really level-headed and focused. He doesn't spend time on idle chatter or things that seem unimportant to him.
I'm going on vacation!!! I will be gone from the 9th to the 21st and will be in sunny SC. I'll keep an eye out for silver volos, but they're owners would probably have to be inside. :P

lshluvr
Wandering Through Town

Post by lshluvr »

Definitely. He's a parent, after all and he saw what happened to Bella after Edward dumped her. So...even if Bella had forgiven Edward, Charlie wouldn't be able to forget.

Not like a boyfriend relationship, but some of the friends I had they did not approve of.

3. Describe your thoughts about Jacob's message to Bella.
I think Jacob sucks. HAHAHA. Just kidding! I think Jacob really wanted to be Bella's friend again, but think he was lying like crazy. I dunno what to say.

Nope. Bella even saw how Paul lost control and even what happened to Emily. Plus, Edward has had more "experience" with werewolves.

Nope.
Avatar credits to: <a href="http://drunk-machine.livejournal.com/">drunk_machine</a> and <a href="http://sarahdoesdesign.livejournal.com/">sarahdoesdesign</a>

edwardaddicted93
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by edwardaddicted93 »

I think as Bella's father, having to see his daughter go through so much pain because of Edward and then watching Bella just allow Edward back into her life so quickly really disappointed him. I can really see where he's coming from. It still annoys me though. I want Charlie to like Edward.

Yeah, there was this guy who I used to be like best friends with and we dated off and on for a few months and he dated a lot of my friends too. My parents hated him. I don't talk to him anymore though because now I think he's a complete idiot.

It upset me. I didn't think he realized that it also caused her pain to not see him. I mean, he's not even trying to work things out. It really bothered me.

Yes, I do. I mean, I love Edward but that is really overdoing it. Bella's been down there before and not been harmed, she would be safe. Sam is really experienced and if he was around he at least would be able to help save her.

Not really, though when Bella said that I pictured my dad and his best friend sitting in rocking chairs and looking like old women, it was pretty funny. :lol:

natanyx
Wandering Through Town

Post by natanyx »

From Charlie's perspective, his feelings are totally justified. All he knows is that his baby girl was in a lot of pain, almost comatose, and only her best friend was able to help her. It's going to be hard for Charlie to understand the sudden change of everything.

My parents have never outright said no, but they've definitely expressed concern and given me their opinion on the guys.

I think Jacob is being a bit stubborn. Bella is a aware they're mortal enemies, but she isn't personally a vampire herself. so why is it so hard for Jacob to be around her? This is where I think Jake is just overly upset she didn't leave Edward behind for good.

Yes and no. He is conditioned to see werewolves as dangerous and life threatening, just as the werewolves fear the vampires. He's naturally biased and just doesn't trust Bella to not hurt herself, give her track record. But in the same respect, he harbors jealousy and guilt, part of me thinks Edward is concerned Bella won't return to him if she visits La Push.

Hahahahahaha. Nope, pretty sure my Dad doesn't do anything gossip related. :lol:

elysiepiecie
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by elysiepiecie »

Yes they are. As a parent, Charlie has every right to be mad at someone who sent his daughter into such a deep depression. My parents would be like that if anyone ever did that to me, no matter how old I get.

No because my parents and I usually are on the same wave length. It is usually the other way around where they are disapproving that I'm not in a relationship.

Why didn't he just start over instead of to keep scratching out his messages? I know it's tough, but even if he felt they couldn't see each other, why not try a phone relationship?

I think he was being a bit over protective, but it's understandable since werewolves are a vampire's natural enemy.

Not that I know of. I think they just kind of goof off.

jaspersfanpire
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Resurrecting Edward from the book and into real life

Post by jaspersfanpire »

1. Yeah, I think they are. It was obvious that what Edward had done hurt Bella, and he's just trying to protect his daughter from that happening again. Charlie also probably doesn't think too highly of the fact that Edward left for months and then just expects Bella to take him back. Even though Charlie's feelings are justified, they are certainly very annoying.

2. No. I've only been in one relationship with a guy and they never even met him, so they couldn't really disaprove.

3. I thought it was kind of rude, but it was also kind of a typical guy response. I also learned that Bella and Jake still hadn't seen each other since New Moon.

4. No, werewolves are idiotic and dangerous. After almost losing Bella, Edward is taking every precaution with her possible. But, at the time, he may not have fully grasped how close Bella and Jake had actually come.

5. No. That is strictly my mom.
"I was with Edward in my happy place."