Chapter One: Ultimatum

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Eclipse.
Libertygirl21
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter One: Ultimatum

Post by Libertygirl21 »

Alphie wrote:1. Are Charlie's feelings toward Edward justified?

2. Have you ever had a parent disapprove of a relationship?

3. Describe your thoughts about Jacobs's message to Bella.

4. Do you feel Edward was being unreasonable in not wanting Bella to go to La Push?

5. Do your Dad and his best friend gossip like old women?
1) yea i think charlie's feelings are justified. i love edward to death but if i ran away with my boyfriend my dad would flip too and would probably hate my boyfriend.
2) yes they actually are going to dissaprove of the same guy again here in a couple of weeks once they find out im dating him again :(
3) i think jacob and bella are cute in the second grade kind of way. passing notes and doing it throught their fathers...kind of juvinal but at the same time its not like they can see each other every day.
4)yes and no. yes because he is worried for her. he doesnt want a young werewolf to hurt her, even though he knows jacob would never do such a thing. also in fire and ice a later chapter, we find out that edward is jealous, which is another reason that he wouldn't want her to go
no because its kind of silly. jacob isnt going to do anything and i wish edward would trust bella not to do anything with jacob...
5)no not so much lol
"Time passes. Even when it seems impossible. Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruse. It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me."

[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;17;89/st/20080802/e/Breaking+Dawn+Release%21%21%21%21/k/d5fb/event.png[/img]
[/url]
team jacob
Settled in Forks

Post by team jacob »

1) Are Charlie's feelings toward Edward justified?

I think in some ways yes, and some ways no. Obviously it makes Bella much happier to be with Edward, so making her stay away from him would just cause problems. I can also see why from Charlie's point of view why he would want him to stay away. Charlie is out on all the details that would help him understand Edward's decision for leaving.

2) Have you ever had a parent disapprove of a relationship?

No relationships to disapprove of.

3) Describe your thoughts about Jacob's message to Bella.

I feel so bad for Jacob. He really wants to be with Bella, but the whole mortal enemy thing is in the way. Jacob was there for Bella the whole time when Edward left and then when they come back Bella basically ignores him (I know it was not all Bella's choice to not see him.) I thought the message was really really really sad. It made me cry.

4) Do you feel Edward was being unreasonable in not wanting Bella to go to La Push?

Yes, Jacob can protect Bella just fine. Edward exposes her to much worse things in my opinion that werewolves. I like Edward, but I think in this situation he was a little overprotective.

5) Do your dad and his best friend gossip like old women?

Nope, just my mom.
EdwardandBella4Ever
Settled in Forks

Post by EdwardandBella4Ever »

1. Are Charlie's feelings toward Edward justified?
I think the fact that Charlie didn't really know what was truly happening then yes. Because Edward leaving (no matter the fact Edward was tryintg to protect her) hurt Bella a lot.
No, because I'm not allowed to date...
I think he sounded like he was a bit constipated. ^_^
4. Do you feel Edward was being unreasonable in not wanting Bella to go to La Push?
I think Edward was fighting for Bella the entire time. If she didn't see Jake a lot then she would slowly detach herself from him. But it slightly backfired because notbeing allowed at all, made her want to go more.
No comment
lunarose
Settled in Forks

Post by lunarose »

1.) Yes and No. From charlie's standpoint I can see where he dislikes and doesn't trust edward, but on the other hand there were points when I wanted to smack him, especially when he would push bella to be with jacob.

2.) Not a serious relationship, but a couple of friendships.

3.) I've never been a huge jacob fan so my thoughts were two fold:
1.) Uggh, get over it you big baby.
2.) (To the leftover crossed out lines) Oh, you manipulative little prat, why Bella is friends with you I'll never understand.

4.) Absolutely not. Although I do think he lets his jealousy cloud his judgement. ( I agree, having alice kidnap bella was not the best idea) There are too many logically sound reasons for him wanting her to stay away: 1) the werewolves are dangerously unstable, alice couldn't see anything if bella did get into trouble, even if alice could, the cullens couldn't do anything without breaking the treaty.

5.) Yes, haha. It's quite unfortunate, but hilarious at the same time.
Alice's Grandma
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Alice's Grandma »

1. Are Charlie's feelings toward Edward justified? There are many aspects about Charlie that I openly dislike, this isn't one of them. Yes, he was justified. After watching his daughter suffer because Edward left so abruptly without any further contact...I don't blame him.

2. Have you ever had a parent disapprove of a relationship?Yes, and in the end, my father and family were completely right.

3. Describe your thoughts about Jacobs's message to Bella.I think many were upset that Jacob left all the cross outs, but for me it was a literary device used to express the whole gamet of Jacob's feelings. It was writing genius. I loved that it showed how lonely, frustrated, hurt, angry and also loving Jacob felt.

4. Do you feel Edward was being unreasonable in not wanting Bella to go to La Push? At first no, given the fact that nobody knew how the pack and Jacob felt about Edward being back in Bella's life, I felt it wasn't unreasonable. At that point, werewolves had proven to be unpredictable. After Bella "escaped" to LaPush and proved Jacob wasn't dangerous, that's when Edward needed to back off. When he didn't, I felt at that point, he became unreasonable.
[img]http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff159/AlicesGrandma/Sunset_On_The_SUV_by_weightlessi-2.jpg[/img]
Riddalyn
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Riddalyn »

Absolutely. Edward left Bella in a mess, and that made Charlie helpless. I do think he draws it out for longer than necessary, though.

No, not really. You have to be in a relationship for your parent to disapprove of it.

3. Describe your thoughts about Jacob's message to Bella.
Those things at the beginning were very deep cutting, and I'm extremely glad he cut them out. I think he was justified in saying that nothing was different, although I don't think he entirely meant it, looking at the way the rest of the book turns out.

No, he was just worried. Jacob worries about her hanging with Vampires, so Edward has a right to worry, too. Besides, we saw how quickly Paul lost his temper... it is dangerous, we can give him that. He was acting a bit paternal, but I think he was pretty justified.

I've never actually seen my dad talking to his friends, he lives miles away. But, I'm sure if there's a scandal, they do.
[url=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][img]http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2204/mybanner47e3f31a98becmq7.jpg[/img][/url]
ashleycullen
Settled in Forks

Post by ashleycullen »

In a way, I think they are. Edward left Bella pretty stranded in the second novel. I think Charlie has ever right to treat Edward this way.

Yes, my friend Nicole, I still hang out with her, don't really care what my parents think, though I do love them.

I was a bit sad, to say the least. Though now I've grown quite unattached to him, used to be in love, but... He got.... More frustrating in this book and... I couldn't stand it anymore.

No, he was being protective of her, that's just his personality, it's how he is. Bella just had to learn to get around it and she did, eventually she did, with the help of Jacob I believe.

No... But my Dad and Uncles do! Lol
[Twilight Anonymous]

My name is Ashley, I have been obsessed with Twilight for the past year, now. It all started when my friend Shelley introduced the book to me and now I cant stop reading them.
Shadow Grrl
Settled in Forks

Post by Shadow Grrl »

1. I think they are. Well... maybe he could trust Bella and her decisions a little more, but... Bella basically died when Edward left, and that's what Charlie sees him as. I would probably be annoyed if I was Bella, but Charlie's just doing what he thinks is best.

2. No. Because I have never had a 'relationship', except my friends. Besides, my mom trusts me enough that even if she did disapprove, she wouldn't say anything about it.

3. I felt really sorry for Jacob when I read the note. He was struggling between the werewolf/vampire conflict and the Jacob/Bella AND the jealousy, because Bella is back with Edward all at the same time, and only trying to do what's best. Like Charlie, in a way.

4. Umm... No, well... yes... and no. He thought that the werewolves were volatile, dangerous creatures (which they are, when provoked), and has only seen them as enemies for about fifty years (ten with Carlisle beforehand, then three (i think) on his own, then the time it took to move to Forks) I think his feelings were misplaced, but he is just trying to protect her (with a little bit of jealousy smudged in).

5. I don't have a dad, so I wouldn't know.
[img]http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/5574/teambellaca3.png[/img]
Danirose94
Settled in Forks

Post by Danirose94 »

Umm..... ya i mean I think charlie has every right to be mad at Edward. I mean Edward did leave bella all alone and made her go into a depression. So yes, but Charlie could still be at least a little bit nicer to Edward.

Well, my dad in all doesn't want me to have a boyfriend, which is really annoying. But really I only had one relationship and my mom really liked him, but I never told my dad. haha he'll never know :wink:

Thje letter actually almost made me cry when i first read it. haha now i just get mad at Jacob

Ughh, this is hard, yes and no. i know that Edward just didn't want Bella to get hurt because he loves her so much, but still he should know that Jacob would never do anything to hurt Bella

Haha always
s_t_3_f_ii
Wandering Through Town

Post by s_t_3_f_ii »

yes and no. edward did leave bella but from what charlie believed he left her because carlisle had to go work at a hosiptal in LA and he did stay behind to say a proper good bye. so realy edward didnt do anything wrong in charlies eyes

no actually no disapprovals my dad loves my boyfriend at the moment, he thinks hes a good influence.. for all he knows

it really hurt to see jacob crossing out every line... crossing out his true feelings.. i love jacob and so does bella andi could see how it was hurting her.

yes! she was with the werewolves by her self when edward wasnt there and nothing really bad happened

5. Do your Dad and his best friend gossip like old women

yes oh my god, they gossip all he time its quite funny!