SM - "Prom Nights From Hell" SPOILERS...Book Discu

Discussion surrounding Stephenie's submission to this anthology organized by Meg Cabbot.
Kissa
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by Kissa »

I am so silly... I fell off this thread a while ago, and totally forgot to find it again when I got my copy of Prom Nights from Hell. :roll:

I actually happened to read the book backwards. I started with Stephenie's story, and then I went Hell on Earth, Kiss and Tell, Madison Avery and the Dim Reaper, The Corsage, and The Exterminator's Daughter.

I loved Stephenie's the most, and I agree with saranicole. Her play on words was absolutely wonderful, and there were so many quotes in there that I absoluetely loved!
A close second would be Madison Avery and the Dim Reaper, I think, but that one is very closely followed by Kiss and Tell. Or maybe I should say they share second place instead.
After that The Exterminator's Daughter, and then The Corsage. Really, The Corsage didn't do a lot for me. I never read the Monkey's Paw (I think that was it), but I still didn't like it much. It was sad, yet predictable and annoying, I guess.

I agree that most of those would have done well as longer stories. I longed to read more about Gabe and Sheba, and to find out if Jezebel was there to encourage or spoil things for Sheba. Stephenie just has a way to write her characteres that lures readers in, and traps them. I just want more of them!

Also, Kiss and Tell had a very abrupt ending, and getting to learn more about that one would have been very good. I really liked that story, and I absolutely think it would have made a good book. I can see a lot more drama possibly unfold there, and we all know good books needs conflict. :P
[url=http://www.ramblingsandthoughts.com/twilight/viewstory.php?sid=252][img]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q89/Kissa001/Banner-avie/KissaandCocoa.jpg[/img][/url]

Isabella Cullen

Post by Isabella Cullen »

ardent__otaku wrote:That's very interesting because The Corsage was my favorite of the bunch.

Actually I liked Meg's and Stephenie's stories the least. Don't get me wrong, I think they were well written and all but I felt like the endings were just too abrupt. I really felt like the stories needed to go on. That's why I was kind of frustrated.

I enjoyed the Dim Reaper one very much though. I could see that story becoming a great book.

(*shivers*)

You actually liked that story the best?! :shock:
It scared the living daylights out of me!!!

I heartily agree with you though on Madison Avery and the Dim Reaper. That story was my second favorite. I'm actually pondering emailing the author and asking, pleading and begging her to finish it and make it into a book. XDD

ardent__otaku
Settled in Forks

Post by ardent__otaku »

(*shivers*)

You actually liked that story the best?!
It scared the living daylights out of me!!!

I heartily agree with you though on Madison Avery and the Dim Reaper. That story was my second favorite. I'm actually pondering emailing the author and asking, pleading and begging her to finish it and make it into a book. XDD

Yes, I don't know why. The idea of the whole story was just so different. It wasn't that scary, I mean, was it? And I liked the ending very much...Did anyone else like The Corsage as much as I did?

Yes, I think a pleading email could do the trick. I'm sure she'll realize the full potential of the story and thank you afterwards. :]
"Isn't it odd how much fatter a book gets when you've read it several times?...As if something were left between the pages every time you read it. Feelings, thoughts, sounds, smells...and then when you look at the book again many years later, you find yourself there too, a slightly younger self, slightly different, as if the book had preserved you, like a pressed flower... both strange and familiar."

Isabella Cullen

Well, it wasn't exactly scary, more like morbid and horrifying. I didn't like how it ended, it sounded like how one of the shows on sci-fi or some horror movie might end.

(*shivers*)

Anyway, I hope that she'll decide to pick that story up again soon and finish it. There's just too much left that needs to happen and the suspense is awful! ^_^;

Hellish Red Devil
Beta Extraordinaire

Post by Hellish Red Devil »

I finally picked this up this weekend and, for the wary, Hell on Earth (Steph's short story) isn't anything like Twilight--it's completely its own beast, and it's completely and utterly rad.

SPOILERS AHOY!

Hell on Earth is a freakin' cool take on angels and demons--traditionally, of course, angels equal good and demons bad, but the whole idea of angels and demons, for lack of a better word, "patrolling" the Earth, engaged in a war of sorts with us petty humans as bargaining chips is wow, really creepy, and really, really intriguing.

And Gabe, from his name to his oh-so-heavenly eyes, screamed angelic to me from the get-go, so him being a half-angel wasn't much of a surprise, but cripes, does that leave so much open for MORE! The story of his parents (which parent was the angel? How exactly did they fall in love? How'd it all go down?!), for one, how much (or how little) Gabe knows about his heritage (methinks not much), for two, how much his parents know (how exactly would an angel go about becoming human? Would they retain their angelic memories?), for three, and just what'll happen with Sheeb--I'm envisioning hilarious escapades in which Sheeb tries (unsuccessfully) to get Gabe to say the magic words that'll get her back to hell! :lol:

More than anything else, this story left me with a "What's going to happen NEXT?! I want MORE!!!" feel, so without a doubt, I enjoyed it. Gah, such well-developed characters right from the get-go, how can I not be intrigued?! :shakes meaty fist at Stephenie: I have enough fictional characters to wonder and worry over! ;)

I haven't finished the entire book yet, just Stephenie's story (c'mon, you know we all skipped to hers first) and Meg's, so I can't say what I thought of the book as a whole yet, but so far, I am having a rollicking good time with it! (Though I've just started reading "The Corsage," and I'm having a difficult time getting into it, but we'll see' )
Last edited by Hellish Red Devil on Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Isabella Cullen

Hands DOWN Stephenie's is the best. ^_^ No argument there.

But The Corsage honestly freaked me out. It was kind of morbid and disgusting for my tastes.

The best story in my opinion, aside from Stephenie's is Madison Avery and the Dim Reaper.

You'll definitely enjoy that story! It was incredible!

dolphindog
Ignoring Renee's E-mails

Post by dolphindog »

I read stephenie's story only but meg cabot's was so far so good. but not as good as stephenie's :wink:
-jessica- :D
[size=75]thanks to chaos for the avie[/size][url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3624605/1/]♥ ♥ ♥ Click me to check out my fanfic♥ ♥ ♥ ♥[/url]
"See, how she leans her cheek upon her hand! Oh that I were a glove upon that hand, that I might touch that cheek! ~Romeo and Juliet Act II Scene II (Romeo)

Klutzy_albino
Ignoring Renee's E-mails
Location: Reasearching 'Dark Matter' to find a bridge to the Twilight Universe

Post by Klutzy_albino »

I was so proud....stephenie's story was the best by far, no contests at all.....I didn't much like Meg Cabots story, my second favorite was Michelle jaffe's story, then the coursage.
''The lofty bookshelves sag under thousands of sleeping souls. Silent, hopful; everytime I open a book a soul is awakened."
-Xi Chuan "Books:Newgeneration"-

My fanfic
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3644782/1/

^ Alice ^
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by ^ Alice ^ »

I have got the book this week!!!!!! I have began to read Stephenie´s story but I haven´t finished it yet. For the moment it´s quite interesting... SPOILER Gabe is waiting for a girl who has entered in the girl´s toilet and he thinks that she needs his help SPOILER.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/6708/bannerparaalicexo2.gif[/img][/url]
[size=84]By la tua cantante. Cullen Muffin family![/size]

^ Alice ^
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by ^ Alice ^ »

Hi!!!!!!
I have finished Hell on Earth (Stephenie´s story) just a few minutes ago... I love the story!!!!!!!
SPOILERS
I love Gabe (our beautiful half-angel) and how he destroyed Sheba´s plans without knowing...hehehehehehe.
When I began to read the story I couldn´t imagine that it was about angels and demons... I was really impressed to find out what the main characters were... :shock: Hehehehehehehehe.
And as some of you, I want to know how the story continues... I want more of those two... They will fall in love or what???? It would be a good story for a book itself... Sheba and Gabe´s story...
Now, I am reading Meg Cabot´s story. For the moment I like it. :wink:
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/6708/bannerparaalicexo2.gif[/img][/url]
[size=84]By la tua cantante. Cullen Muffin family![/size]