Jared and Wanda

Discussion for Stephenie Meyer's debut sci-fic/romance novel. Now open for all discussion. Don't enter if you haven't yet finished the book!
IWannaBeAdored
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by IWannaBeAdored »

I assumed his lying during the goodbye meant he loved her, but not in love with her... oh, boy! that gives it a whole other connotation of a "break up" :oops:
[i]They only want you when you're [b]seventeen[/b]...[/i]
-Ladytron (and I'm sure Edward would like to prove them wrong!)

Midnight_Sunshine
Wandering Through Town

Post by Midnight_Sunshine »

When Wanda asked Jared to lie to her, I was kind of confused. I'm pretty sure that he was just acting, but it's almost like I wish he wasn't. It would be nice if he actually like Wanda. At the very least I don't think that he really hated her or anything. I think that he was planning on giving her another host all along. I find it hard to believe that he would really want Mel back and Wanda gone, no questions asked. If he didn't think that Wanda would die, then I guess it's not quite as bad.
[img]http://i28.tinypic.com/2yy875z.jpg[/img]

WinniePony
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by WinniePony »

What I thought was happening when Jared was lying to Wanda was just guilt. I think Jared finally came around and realized that he was being stupid and selfish, sacrificing her for Mel. In the end he realizes that isn't right, but he isn't totally able to deny it. So he does love Wanda, but in a more platonic way. He was able to lie so convincingly because he felt guilty. At least that's how I interpreted it.
Some things exist whether you believe in them or not.

To live you must give your life away.

Sorghey
Learning to Love Green

Post by Sorghey »

This is taken from the book signing in Portland (which I got to go to--yay! :D).
Question: Does Jared really lie or does he develop feelings for Wanderer herself?

Stephenie: If you haven't read the book yet, that probably doesn't make much sense to you but no, he really doesn't lie. There are times when there are a lot of different truths and that is one where there are two very distinct truths going on at the same time.

I'm glad Stephenie cleared that up, because there was a big part of me that wanted Jared to be telling the truth (even though I wasn't completely sure :wink:).

The feeling I got was that Jared did love her, not like Melanie, but he did. He and Wanda spent so much time together at the end that I think Jared surprised himself. On their missions to get food or the cryotanks, etc., I could see that a small part of him loved her. Sadly, I think Wanda had to earn that love, but she wasn't trying to "win" Jared's love; Wanda was just being Wanda, and Jared eventually saw the real Wanda.

I think the passion in their last kiss (and the fact that Melanie gives them some privacy--because even she realized that a part of Jared loves Wanda) says a lot about the feelings that Jared developed for her. And I have to say that a kiss was the perfect medium to express that. Jared wanted Wanda...even if it was for a brief blip in time.

miss_v
Settled in Forks

Post by miss_v »

I too think that a part of Jared loves Wanda. You can love lots of people in different ways, but there will always be the one true love that trumps all others. I think Mel and Jared are the true love that trumps. the comparison of Jacob and Bella suits the Jared/Wanda relationship. They love eachother, but they each have another they love more, the one they cannot live without.
To put meaning in ones life may end in madness,
But life without meaning is the torture
Of restlessness and vague desire --
It is a boat longing for the sea and yet afraid.
-Edgar Lee Masters

xPinkx
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by xPinkx »

miss_v wrote:I too think that a part of Jared loves Wanda. You can love lots of people in different ways, but there will always be the one true love that trumps all others. I think Mel and Jared are the true love that trumps.
I agree with that. I think he did start to love Wanda, in what way I'm not sure. I don't think it made his love for Mel any less though. (I am a Mel/Jared fan).
Mel didn't complain when Jared kissed Wanda as Wanda did she? She understood, and he knew she would understand. He feels something for Wanda, but is is complex and confusing, the nature of most human relationships really. He had gained a great admiration of her by the end of the book, he appreciates her as a person, and he feels a chemical connection with the body she's in, which adds to the confusion. The feelings he developed in this situation survived to some extent after she changed bodies (the looks he gave her) because all forms of love leave their trace don't they? At least that is what I think.
[img]http://i34.tinypic.com/20qc9ht.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4125676/1/]Saviour[/url] &[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4197408/1/][b][i][color=red]A rose is a rose is a rose...[/color][/i][/b][/url] & others @
http://www.fanfiction.net/~xpinkx =)
“Interesting advice, Rosalie. Let me tell you a little story about a [color=violet]pot[/color] and a [color=violet]kettle[/color]…â€

miss_v
Settled in Forks

Post by miss_v »

Mel didn't complain when Jared kissed Wanda as Wanda did she? She understood, and he knew she would understand. He feels something for Wanda, but is is complex and confusing, the nature of most human relationships really. He had gained a great admiration of her by the end of the book, he appreciates her as a person, and he feels a chemical connection with the body she's in, which adds to the confusion. The feelings he developed in this situation survived to some extent after she changed bodies (the looks he gave her) because all forms of love leave their trace don't they? At least that is what I think.
what you said is soooo true. :D He did know Mel would understand. She retreated to give both Jared and Wanda their space during the kiss. I could not have said it better, all forms of love do leave a trace. I mean not only does Jared look at Wanda (in her new body) but Mel and Ian have some exchanges ( I cannot remember exactly...I do not have my book with me) after as well. It cannot be helped. There will always be that little bit of familiarity with a person, no matter how hard you try to avoid or cover it. Just like love in general you try to hide and cover it and it is bound to slip out somewhere.
To put meaning in ones life may end in madness,
But life without meaning is the torture
Of restlessness and vague desire --
It is a boat longing for the sea and yet afraid.
-Edgar Lee Masters

JulesCullen
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by JulesCullen »

I think it really pained Mel when Jared kissed Wanda, but she just kept silent because how could she complain when Wanda was giving up so much just for her? And she knew that she would soon be with Jared, as well.
[img]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c62/Animefreak222/Banners%20and%20such/gorgonga.jpg[/img]
Yes! I was accepted as an author on Pel's site Ramblingsandthoughts!!!

diamond encrusted
Banging out dents with Tyler
Location: At Jeb's...uh..."house" with Ian, Wanda, Mel and Jared

Post by diamond encrusted »

I think Jared loves Wanda, just not in the same way as how he loves Melanie. Its been said 100 times before, but, You can love so many people so many different ways. I see him as loving Wanda as a friend and, maybe, even as a hero - she's selfless and helped the humans whenever they needed her, even though they hated her at first, she didn't hold a grudge or anything. Her saving Kyle is a great example of this.

Jared does love Wanda, just not in a Love Love way...When he kissed Wanda, HE HIMSELF wasn't kissing Wanda, but the intention was to kiss Melanie's body. When he told Wanda that he didn't want her to leave, that he wanted her to stay, he did it to fulfill what he knew/thought would be Wanda's last request. If you were Jared, would you be able to refuse?! After everything's she's done for you? After everything she's put herself through for you? After everything she's done for his family? For everything she's done and is about to do for Melanie? I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be able to NOT do it.
[img]http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs30/f/2008/111/4/9/Bella_and_Edward_Banner_by_adeline_ninja.gif[/img]
[i]Dreaming of [b]Edward[/b][/i]
[i]Waiting for [b]Ian[/b][/i]
[b][u][i]Team Edward!![/i][/u][/b]
[b][u][i]Team Ian!![/i][/u][/b]

Avatar and Banner made by yours truly...[url=http://adeline-ninja.deviantart.com/]ME!!~ XD [please clicky!!][/url]