Q&A Help

Discussion for Stephenie Meyer's debut sci-fic/romance novel. Now open for all discussion. Don't enter if you haven't yet finished the book!
Kizmet
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Kizmet »

roxyoxsurf wrote:I'm confused.. were Melanie and Jared together at the end?
yes.
[img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/renarthien/lookafterheart.jpg[/img]

xxxDarkMoonxxx
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by xxxDarkMoonxxx »

Yes, Wanda in Pet's body was only sixteen and in two weeks was about to turn seventeen. I think it was very wise to lie about her age because Ian is such a gentlemen.

I'm glad i know Ian's age now, i kept trying to figure it out. I actually thought he might have been 27, but 25 is so much better.

I think someone was refering to the fact that Pet's body is so small. In my mind i think she is probably just under five feet. And the reason she wasn't so strong was because she didn't grow up doing hard labor like the rest in the caves. I think they said she lived in Seattle, a city, and she probably lived very comfortably, so she didn't need to do all the hard work.
[img]http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z50/emaleth28/twilight/vampire.jpg[/img]

"You better hold on tight, spidermonkey!" Rob Pattinson as Edward Cullen
Watching out for Topaz Eyes

kitticat2
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by kitticat2 »

xxxDarkMoonxxx wrote:I think someone was refering to the fact that Pet's body is so small. In my mind i think she is probably just under five feet. And the reason she wasn't so strong was because she didn't grow up doing hard labor like the rest in the caves. I think they said she lived in Seattle, a city, and she probably lived very comfortably, so she didn't need to do all the hard work.
I completely agree. It's absolutely understandable that Wanda would describe her new body as being weak. After all, she was used to Melanie's strong body and then gets put into a body that hasn't done hard labor before. Not that its Jamie, Mel, or Jared's fault.
"I sat in the blackness of the big hole in the ground and grieved for lost souls with a human at my side."

crepusculo16
Wandering Through Town

Post by crepusculo16 »

I know this doesn't really fit in and I'm sure if this has been answered elsewhere but why is The Host an adult book rather than YA fiction? Just curious. :P
[img]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/supergurl1287/Twilight/twilight-1.jpg[/img]

My friends call me Izzy so you can call me that too. <3

Kizmet
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Kizmet »

crepusculo16 wrote:I know this doesn't really fit in and I'm sure if this has been answered elsewhere but why is The Host an adult book rather than YA fiction? Just curious. :P
It's basically just because of the ages of the characters. Most of The Host's main characters are adults, whereas most of Twilight's are teenagers.
[img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/renarthien/lookafterheart.jpg[/img]

crepusculo16
Wandering Through Town

Post by crepusculo16 »

Oh, ok. I get it. Thanks! :)
[img]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/supergurl1287/Twilight/twilight-1.jpg[/img]

My friends call me Izzy so you can call me that too. <3

tessace86
Settled in Forks

General Question

Post by tessace86 »

Hey everyone!!!
I guess I just have a general question about The Host. I just bought it and am going to start reading it today. Did it grab everyone the way all of Meyer's Twilight series did? I have high expectations about The Host, as I feel that if Meyer could write 3 books that effected me so strongly, why shouldn't this one?
What did everyone think??? Thanks!! :)

kitticat2
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: General Question

Post by kitticat2 »

tessace86 wrote:Hey everyone!!!
I guess I just have a general question about The Host. I just bought it and am going to start reading it today. Did it grab everyone the way all of Meyer's Twilight series did? I have high expectations about The Host, as I feel that if Meyer could write 3 books that effected me so strongly, why shouldn't this one?
What did everyone think??? Thanks!! :)
This book was amazing!!! I loved it more than Twilight in some ways. But they both are so different it's impossible to compare them fairly.

The Host is definitely Stephenie's best written work, she even says so herself. It's a more mature read, it was very difficult for me to fly right threw it like I did with Twilight. The Host made me think, and sometimes I had to put it down and think of 'what if' questions; like "What if aliens really did take over earth? What would I do? Would I notice? Or would I be one of the first to be taken?"

I love the first chapter, the second got a little slow and then it got really boring for a long time. About 120 pages in it picks up again then gets boring, then picks up again and after that I couldn't put it down. [You really just have to stick it out and keep reading through the boring parts or you'll never get to the good stuff! It'll be hard, but worth it, or maybe you'll be one of the few people I've met (kind of) who will like the boring parts.]

It took me 3 days to read it, because I had to work, seriously the only thing that stopped me from reading it was when I had to think, work, and sleep. I don't think I ate much at all.

The Host was wonderful, I don't want to spoil anything for you, but the romance is turned down a little from the Twilight series (I think someone said that on another thread). But it's still about love, mother-child love, friendship, love for you community, acceptance, love for strangers, and romantic love. This book was truly a work of art and I highly recommend it. :wink:
"I sat in the blackness of the big hole in the ground and grieved for lost souls with a human at my side."

niski
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by niski »

How much time passed between when Wanda got taken out of Mel and put in Pet's body?

kitticat2
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by kitticat2 »

niski wrote:How much time passed between when Wanda got taken out of Mel and put in Pet's body?
I would really like to know that too! But I think it was only a few months tops. The reason I think that is because Wanda doesn't describe anyone looking older. Jamie, especially would look different if it had been a year or more. I don't think they could live without Wanda for very long, figuritively and literally speaking.