Love it, like it, hate it?

Discussion for Stephenie Meyer's debut sci-fic/romance novel. Now open for all discussion. Don't enter if you haven't yet finished the book!
.dazzleme.
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by .dazzleme. » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:53 pm

LOVED IT !
It was such a good story, something new, totally creative and it really got me flipping pages. I Absolutely loved the ending, and i love Ian! I definetly recommend it :D

Team Edward! :] But i still like jake.

twilighter101
Settled in Forks

Post by twilighter101 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:37 am

I have to admit it is nothing like Twilight. But I enjoyed it Very much. It was sweet when people were not trying to kill her.(Wanda/Melanie) I think I finished it a day and half. Although it was nothing like Twilight, I went 36 hours with out sleep. Even when I reread it. It;s like you can't stop reading it just like Twilight. But i'm not complaining. Stephenie Meyer has a very unique gift.
Jennifer is a true Cullenist! I Love Edward and Jacob!!! But I love Edward more! I also love Ian! LOL :D
"If all else perished and he remained, I would still continue to be. But if he were annilated, the world would a mighty stranger."

"I held you in my hand Wanderer ande you were so beautiful."

leela0687
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by leela0687 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:01 pm

To be honest the beginning kind of turned me off it took me at least 3 days to actually get into the book.

I was so confused for a little while there during chapters 1 and 2 then I realized what was going on.
After i realized what was happening it didn't long for me to finish the book.

I like how it kind of sends the message of don't judge a book by it's cover and I love that, you need to realize that the person on the inside is important not the looks of the outside.

I'm rereading it right now to see if I missed any important things in the beginning since I didn't understand and now do. even though as I read it again I'm still slightly confused but it makes more sense now that I've already read it.

I LOVE the ending of the book I was so sad that she was leaving and wanted to leave, then bringing her back as someone else was just a genius Idea.
My votes for Jacob :-)

[img]http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/jadedbucs/TEAM-JACOB-jacob-black-531549_100_1.jpg[/img]

Vanilia
Wandering Through Town

Post by Vanilia » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:06 pm

All I can say is: WOW, what a powerful novel

I just finished it about 10 minutes ago
it took me a little while to read it (i had bought it the day it came out) because i had been so busy.

The beginning IS confusing, but i just told myself that everything would be explained more thoroughly through the story
There are some slow parts, which made me a little anxious, and it's not as much of a page turner as twilight is (until you get to the last 200 or so pages) But this only shows that steph is a versatile writer, since the Host is NOTHING like twilight.

While reading this book, I smiled and cried. The anxiousness is all worth it in the end. This story has brought up so many questions about humanity, that I feel the urge to read some sort of sequel to find stephenie's answers through her character's actions and words

Don't read this book if you're expecting a swooning romance, like Bella and Edwards. The romance in this story is almost a subplot, it's almost there to answer humanitarian questions. But overall, love IS a big part of the story.

Overall, loved this book
A true masterpiece

Who would've thought that Stephenie Meyer could do it again?
There's just not stopping her
<i>"Amazing," he said, in his exquisite voice full of wonder, slightly amused. "Carlisle was right."</i><b>NM P452</b>

chasing_tempation
Settled in Forks

Post by chasing_tempation » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:27 am

I got the book about a week after it came out and read it within a week.

At first, it was very confusing for me. And I mean, very confusing. I had no idea what was going on. Haha. But, by the time I got finished with it, I understood it.

I was talking with one of the girls who goes to my school, and we were talking about how we could easily see how like, Jared related to Edward and how Ian did too and how Kyle was kind of like Rosalie. XD

I really liked it though. It was powerful, long ... made me cry, laugh, and be mad. And a novel that can do that is an automatic fave.
[img]http://tn3-2.deviantart.com/fs28/300W/f/2008/146/f/2/Jasper_Hale_SoD_by_seremela05.jpg[/img]
& it's like;
everytime i turn around;
i fall in love and find my heart face down ...
[team jasper. wootwoot.]

vampgirl9
Wandering Through Town

Loved it

Post by vampgirl9 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:56 pm

i really liked this book. Again I say Stephanie Meyer is a genius and i declare it!! lol
It is a powerful book and it makes you think. I got it the first day it came out and read it in 2 days (im a really fast reader) anyway i found it very good.
And even though it was meant for adults I read it (im 14) and i was able to comprehend it and understand the meaning.
It was a great book and like Twilight it can cross generation lines and blend them together.
Love, action, suspense makes for a great book. And i cant wait till the sequal.
Once again amazing. had me hooked from the first word
"Fall down again Bella?"
"No Emmett i punched a Werewolf in the face"

~dani~
Settled in Forks

Post by ~dani~ » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:29 am

I loved The Host! I ordered it from Amazon but they decided to not send it to me until like a month after it was out. I became inpatient after, oh, I don't know, three days and went and bought it. I read it in about four days, two of which I spent trying to push through the beginning.

I loved the book in it's entirety but I found the beginning to be slightly dull. Looking back, I realize that it was setting things up so the reader would be able to understand what was going on later in the book without having to take time out of a fast-pace sequence just for the individual to comprehend the scenario. It was almost like the first chapter peaked my interest then the next chapter was snooze-vill then it went back to party town later.

I also think SM is a freaking evil-genius when it comes to confusing love situations. The way she has Wanda's feelings become intertwined and, yet, still separate from Melanie's is something the average person couldn't come up with. (then again, it's Stephanie Meyer we're talking about) The genius of having Wanda and Melanie be forced to be so intertwined, to have them love the same person their counterpart loves, but despise them within themselves, is dumbfoundingly amazing.

The mixed relationships SM weaves are some of the most intricate and simple things all bundled into one incredible book. But I think I'm going to stop talking about how much I loved it because I'll go on about it forever.

I must say this final thing, however: I never saw the Wanda/Ian relationship (which made me cry like a baby in the end) coming, along with the Sunny/ Kyle relationship and i was pleasantly surprised with both. Those two small parts of this hugs, dynamic world she created within The Host are, in my opinion, the best thing in the whole book.

iloveawerewolf...
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by iloveawerewolf... » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:15 pm

When I first started it, I wasn't too sure on how much I would like the book but once I got into the story I began loving it. I don't know what exactly about the book but it just pulled me in and I couldn't put it down (and I'm deciding to reread it soon too). And I almost cried at the end when Wanda..yeah, I'm sure you all know the part I'm talking about it. I don't want to put spoilers in here for those who haven't read it. :)

Stephenie Meyer is a amazing with characters, situations, love and the whole story-writing buisness. There have been other authors who've I really enjoyed reading but she has to be one of my favorites (if not my favorite). It made me dissappointed when I realized she doesn't have any other published novels but then really happy because that means she is more than likely writing more as we speak :D.

I love the Host-it's definitely in my top 10 favorite book list (but I couldn't tell you which number..haha)

diamond encrusted
Banging out dents with Tyler
Location: At Jeb's...uh..."house" with Ian, Wanda, Mel and Jared

Post by diamond encrusted » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:50 am

At this moment, I haven't finished yet, but I've spent pretty much all day reading it...its great! i LOVE it. like someone said before, Reading The Host just made me love SM even more! I wish SM all the best and also wish her NEVER TO GET ANY WRITERS' BLOCK because...that means that WE get more sequels and more series and more books!! and she can get more fans, more love, more money and publicity?! though i'm sure fans mean sooooooooo much more...Its a WIN-WIN situation =)
[img]http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs30/f/2008/111/4/9/Bella_and_Edward_Banner_by_adeline_ninja.gif[/img]
[i]Dreaming of [b]Edward[/b][/i]
[i]Waiting for [b]Ian[/b][/i]
[b][u][i]Team Edward!![/i][/u][/b]
[b][u][i]Team Ian!![/i][/u][/b]

Avatar and Banner made by yours truly...[url=http://adeline-ninja.deviantart.com/]ME!!~ XD [please clicky!!][/url]

jacob'sleah
Settled in Forks

Post by jacob'sleah » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:52 pm

I really enjoyed everything about the book. It pulled me in just like Twilight. It had a good plot and great characters. but Jared is no Edward!! ha ha.
I heart Rupert Grint!!
Forks is my happy place!
" "Don't be afraid," I murmered.
"We belong together."
I was abruptly overwhelmed by the truth of my own words.
This moment was so perfect, so right.
There was no way to doubt it.
His arms were wrapped around me,
Holding me against him....
It felt like every nerve ending in my body was a live wire.
"Forever, " he agreed. "- Breaking Dawn Cover