The Ending

Discussion for Stephenie Meyer's debut sci-fic/romance novel. Now open for all discussion. Don't enter if you haven't yet finished the book!
ObsessedWithFinalFantasy
Settled in Forks

Post by ObsessedWithFinalFantasy »

I thought the ending was very disappointing; Wanderer's "rebirth" ruined her whole sacrifice so that the reader could walk away feeling happy. The ending of a book is not very dramatic or effective when it's basically, "Hey, why didn't you let me die like I asked, blah blah blah, well, that's ok then, since I'm not really being a parasite...and everyone lived happily ever after with their new friends."

Don't get me wrong, but this was one of the first books in a long long long time to make me cry, and turning the next few pages ruined the mood I was in. Catharsis is good--interrupting it is bad.
[i]"To be forgotten is worse than death"[/i]
~Freya
Mystical
Wandering Through Town

Post by Mystical »

ObsessedWithFinalFantasy wrote:I thought the ending was very disappointing; Wanderer's "rebirth" ruined her whole sacrifice so that the reader could walk away feeling happy. The ending of a book is not very dramatic or effective when it's basically, "Hey, why didn't you let me die like I asked, blah blah blah, well, that's ok then, since I'm not really being a parasite...and everyone lived happily ever after with their new friends."

Don't get me wrong, but this was one of the first books in a long long long time to make me cry, and turning the next few pages ruined the mood I was in. Catharsis is good--interrupting it is bad.
I see where you're coming from, but maybe sometimes you just need to get away from all those painful endings and read a really happy conclusion for once. It makes a nice change to read something completely pleasant at the end, although I do see that Wanda's sacrifice would have gotten the message home more forcefully.
<center>[url=http://mystxx.deviantart.com][img]http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/9761/siggyow1.png[/img][/url]
[b][color=black][size=67]T E A M . I A N[/size][/color][/b]</center>
white_rose_at_twilight
Wandering Through Town

Post by white_rose_at_twilight »

I was eternally greatful for the ending. I got to the part where Doc was about to take Wanda out and broke down. It does affect the realtionship in a way-but not emotionally, slightly mentally.
Standing on nertral ground.
DarkStarr
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by DarkStarr »

^^Totally agree on the absolute breaking down part...
[img]http://i28.tinypic.com/24ex8pj.jpg[/img]
http://darkstarrx.deviantart.com
AliceWanderer5
Settled in Forks

Post by AliceWanderer5 »

DarkStarr wrote:Totally unexpected, as in I was crying through the beginning of Chapter 59, confused and then elated and crying happy tears?

Then the Epilogue, ermm I think Burns is a double agent...or something..NETSPEAK IS SO UNATTRACTIVE PLEASE FIX ME!...but I was like ohh woah, looky more of them ahah...
i hope not 'cos thats my last name and i will feel very let down lol but you no what darkstarr i don't think i would see that coming.
---So in love with edward cullen----
[img]http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll73/mynameisrraine/TWILIGHT/twilight18.gif[/img]
MrsSk3l3ton
Settled in Forks

Post by MrsSk3l3ton »

I'm half and half about the ending. I do agree that finding a new host kind of made Wanderer's sacrifice and little less... what's the word I'm looking for... like meaningful (but different if you get what I mean). The new host they found for Wanderer wasn't exactly how I pictured her if she were originally a human, but it was touching that they waited and specially picked a new host for her, rather than just going out and getting the first host they could find. I liked the ending, though, because it's open and can be left as it is, or continued in another book (hopefully :])

My favorite aspect of the book was the change in Ian, how he went from hating souls, to being in love with Wanda. I think his line about holding Wanderer in her true form will probably be everyone's favorite :]
Rawrrrrr :D
miss_v
Settled in Forks

Post by miss_v »

I really enjoyed the ending of The Host. I think it is soo sweet that the people that cared about her hand picked her a new body. I think that people have a hard time with her getting another body, but in the book the seeker explains that the souls are not longer being put into older humans only younger ones. I think Pet the soul had been in her body since her body was young because her body had no memories...anway I think if SM does write a sequal it will be interesting to see how Wanda copes with her new smaller and physically weaker body. It would be a hard adjustment to make going from Mel's tough body to a body that has been inhabited by a soul almost it's entire life and not ever had to be rough and tough or survive.

I love that she gets to be with Ian and he loves her, Wanda the shiny silver soul regardless of what body she is inhabiting.
To put meaning in ones life may end in madness,
But life without meaning is the torture
Of restlessness and vague desire --
It is a boat longing for the sea and yet afraid.
-Edgar Lee Masters
BlackLace
Touched by cold hands

Post by BlackLace »

NO! I had no idea that was coming! I braced myself for a bad ending, with her leaving and all. I was sobbing by the time the end came.

But when I read the end, I was so happy. Ugh that's my favorite part! When Mel comes out, made me tear up again! Love it. So much. :D
[img]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i181/jessie__duhh/googleit.jpg[/img]
Midight_Dreamer
Settled in Forks

Post by Midight_Dreamer »

I LOVED THE HOST!!! I've read it several times and I still bawl every time I read it! I usually don't cry much at all, but this was one of the few books I've read where I just break down. I also did that in New Moon when Edward left :cry: The only other book I've ever cried about was Flowers For Algernon.
*sigh* Where is my Edward?
Minireb123
Ignoring Renee's E-mails

Post by Minireb123 »

I liked the "happy ending". It was nice =]

But, I do agree with the people who said it wasn't as powerful as it would be if it ended when Doc was taking Wanda out. I cried at that part, especially when she was saying bye to Mel...I usually never cry at books but it was just so sad. They were so close and their relationship and Wanda's sacrifice was heartbreaking.

Then again, I would have been very very sad if it ended like that. So I'm glad Wanda was reunited with Mel, Jamie, and Ian.

And Ian's line where he says he held Wanda (as a soul) and thought she was beautiful was very cute =]
[img]http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc242/Minireb123/fightaneclipse.jpg[/img]