The Ending

Discussion for Stephenie Meyer's debut sci-fic/romance novel. Now open for all discussion. Don't enter if you haven't yet finished the book!
break4jake
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by break4jake »

^^ first off, i always consider wanda/melanie/ian/jared thing as a love rectangle instead of a love triangle cause there's 4 people instead of 3. :) just thought i would share that.

anyhoo i didn't really. but i did see a lot of resemblences between host characters and twilight characters
[img]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/CamberXite/taylor_lautner-1.jpg[/img]
thanks to CamberXite for my awesome banner! and thanks to edward's vampheart to my adorable avatar!
*sings* Oh Jakey you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind hey Jakey! *clap clap* Hey Jakey!

OMHJ-oh my hot jacob :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW8-l944dw8 -watch my twilight-based song!
[img]http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/3001/mybanner484e17775b014dx5.png[/img]

Lindsay1278
Settled in Forks

Post by Lindsay1278 »

Was anyone else bothered by the body they gave Wanda? At first I thought it fit her perfectly because it was how I would picture her personality in a body, but then my English teacher changed my mind. Her initial reaction was that they had given her a wimpy body to take away any power she might have. It was like they were still afraid of her, or maybe they still didn't actually trust her. If there was a sequel at some point, Wanda is completely defenseless in her new body. Not that she would ever use it to hurt someone else, but she can't even run very fast or work hard now.

You'd think that in the world they're living in, they would need whatever stong, able bodies they could get. So can anyone tell me why they would put Wanda, who over everyone else there has proven her loyalty when she actually tried to sacrafice her LIFE for them, in the body of a small, weak girl?
"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."

break4jake
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by break4jake »

^^ because they needed a body that anyone would trust when looking at it, and small enough and innocent-looking so people would want to defend it.
[img]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/CamberXite/taylor_lautner-1.jpg[/img]
thanks to CamberXite for my awesome banner! and thanks to edward's vampheart to my adorable avatar!
*sings* Oh Jakey you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind hey Jakey! *clap clap* Hey Jakey!

OMHJ-oh my hot jacob :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW8-l944dw8 -watch my twilight-based song!
[img]http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/3001/mybanner484e17775b014dx5.png[/img]

jacob-rox-my-sox
Has caught sight of Edward

Post by jacob-rox-my-sox »

I really liked the ending. I found it quite satisfiying and all well most of the loose ends were wrapped up

wanda couldnt have spent forever in melanies body. that would have been wrong for everyone. but she couldnt have sent herself off to another world either. so yes I was happy that wanda found a new body.
[img]http://cbimg9.com/graphics/08/06/54930c.jpg[/img][img]http://cbimg9.com/graphics/08/06/54898c.jpg[/img][img]http://cbimg9.com/graphics/08/06/54384c.jpg[/img]

kitticat2
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by kitticat2 »

Lindsay1278 wrote:Was anyone else bothered by the body they gave Wanda? At first I thought it fit her perfectly because it was how I would picture her personality in a body, but then my English teacher changed my mind. Her initial reaction was that they had given her a wimpy body to take away any power she might have. It was like they were still afraid of her, or maybe they still didn't actually trust her. If there was a sequel at some point, Wanda is completely defenseless in her new body. Not that she would ever use it to hurt someone else, but she can't even run very fast or work hard now.

You'd think that in the world they're living in, they would need whatever stong, able bodies they could get. So can anyone tell me why they would put Wanda, who over everyone else there has proven her loyalty when she actually tried to sacrafice her LIFE for them, in the body of a small, weak girl?
I understand exactly what you mean. I thought it fit her personality as well, then I thought about it and was like "Why didn't they just find someone stronger?"

But then I thought about it some more, and I am once again happy with her body. The body might seem 'extra' weak to
Wanda because she is used to Melanie's body. Also, Pet was living a life of luxury, so to speak. She probably never had to do any hard labor. And Pet might not have even worked out, because her small frame is genetic. But then again, I'm sure the souls would encourage fitness...see how I contradict myself? :)

On the idea that the humans still don't trust Wanda, I don't think that is the case. They loved her enough to not let her die and find her a body. Not to mention a young body so there would be less of a chance of the person coming back.

This is getting really long but just one more thing. I saw a Q&A with SM about The Host on youtube.com. One of the questions was "Why are all the men so tall and the women so tiny?" SM answered by saying something like, that in her family all the women except her are really fragile and the men (like her brother Seth) are super tall. It's just how SM has seen the world by being around small women and tall men, so it made it into her books. :wink:
"I sat in the blackness of the big hole in the ground and grieved for lost souls with a human at my side."

imhuntingforwitches
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by imhuntingforwitches »

I'd just finished reading The Host a few minutes ago. (Yeah, yeah, call me a bad fan for not bothering to check it out until three days ago.) And I have to say, Stephenie has blown my mind away. The Host is radically different from Twilight, but unbelievably great in its own way.

I was rather satisfied with the ending. It gave the reader a glimmer of hope. But I'm curious: how long did you think it was from the point of extracting Wanderer and putting her in "Pet's" body? Because there was a line somewhere that described Ian's face as being longer and bigger, and I thought that might have been because there was a period of time since she last saw him. But as I think about it, it could just be because Pet's body is smaller and more petite. Thoughts?
[img]http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa219/amazingle/rawr-1.jpg[/img]
Awesome banner thanks to leaf!

Did you seriously just stamp your foot? I thought girls only did that on TV.
-Jacob Black "Eclipse" pg.119

kitticat2
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by kitticat2 »

Yeah, I think it's just because Pet's body is smaller. Wanda kept talking about how short she was and how little her hands were. She was used to Mel's body, and Mel is kind of tall. I'm not entirely sure, but I think it only took a few months before they put Wanda in Pet's body. She didn't say Jamie looked older or anything, and at around 14-15, one year is a big difference. So, it was probably only a few months.
"I sat in the blackness of the big hole in the ground and grieved for lost souls with a human at my side."

Sprinter352
Wandering Through Town

Post by Sprinter352 »

Somehow I knew that Melanie was going to get her own body back, but I had no idea what would happen to Wanda! I knew she wouldn't die...but I couldn't see her in another body, especially after she announced that she didn't want to be a parasite anymore.

At first I was...confused, I guess, about Wanda being in another body. I was so completely used to her being in Melanie's body. I imagined her body along with her personality, so to imagine her as this tiny little 17-year old?...I don't like it. I don't think it affects the relationship between Wanda and Ian because he still loved her when she was just a silver soul in a cryotank ("I held you in my hand, Wanderer. And you were so beautiful.") and he didn't care what her new body looked like, as long as WANDA was there. However, I don't like Wanda being so small and young. I wish she was still somewhat tall and closer to Ian's age like she was when she was in Melanie's body. It makes me...sad that her body is so different. I don't know why because Wanda herself is the same...but still. It's...different.
[img]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n98/soccer_comet20/Meadow_edited.jpg[/img]
Proud [b][i][color=darkred]EDWARD[/b][/i][/color] supporter
Proud[b][i][color=gold] IAN[/color][/b][/i] supporter

twilighter101
Settled in Forks

Post by twilighter101 »

I enjoyed the ending of the book. Although when Wanda had to say goodbye to Ian and when he started crying I cried too! I was so happy to see that everyone got sort of and happily ever after. Wanda got Ian. Melanie got Jared. Even Kyle got Sunny. I would mind a sequel but it all ended pretty good to me.
Jennifer is a true Cullenist! I Love Edward and Jacob!!! But I love Edward more! I also love Ian! LOL :D
"If all else perished and he remained, I would still continue to be. But if he were annilated, the world would a mighty stranger."

"I held you in my hand Wanderer ande you were so beautiful."

Vanilia
Wandering Through Town

Post by Vanilia »

i saw the solution before jared mentioned it aloud
i didn't know if it would actually happen since doc is such an honest person

when wanda became conscious in her new body though, i must admit, i thought she was jared and melanies baby, and i started freaking out a little, i didn't know what to think of it
the description fit one of a baby, but once she started talking i was relieved, even though that type of outcome would have been extremely interesting and unexpected

i absolutely loved the last line of the ending, though
and the epilogue was great
a new hope comes to light, and it kind of slaps the characters and the readers in the face
i mean, we couldn't of seriously thought that they were the only rebels out there?

but i certainly did
and the whole thing with burns, wow
i'm going to go see if there's another forum on the epilogue, because it honestly blew my mind
<i>"Amazing," he said, in his exquisite voice full of wonder, slightly amused. "Carlisle was right."</i><b>NM P452</b>